NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement Carburetor for 85 and 87 SN

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
trice View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement Carburetor for 85 and 87 SN
    Posted: October-29-2019 at 10:06am
Not satisfied with the starting, idle quality, and throttle response from the original equipment Holley carburetor. The list number on the 87 is 50419. Any recommendations on a replacement? A good friend has an 85 with the same issues.
Thanks
87 SN
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2019 at 10:17am
Originally posted by trice trice wrote:

Not satisfied with the starting, idle quality, and throttle response from the original equipment Holley carburetor. The list number on the 87 is 50419. Any recommendations on a replacement? A good friend has an 85 with the same issues.
Thanks

Tom, if you hang on a while, Jonny Quest aka JQ aka Jonny D QuickFuel will be back to give you his totally biased glowing recommendation for a Quick Fuel M-600

A lot of people have used them with good results. They have more adjustment capability than the typical marine Holley. That means there are more ways to screw it up too if you're a "tweaker"

If you're replacing something old that doesn't work right any more, a new Holley or Quick Fuel is bound to be an improvement but a good rebuild on the Holley might cure your issues too for a lot less money.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2019 at 1:53am
Four options for you to consider

1) Edelbrock marine carburetor (1409). A lot of motor-heads like the Edelbrock line-up. ($440)

2) Holley 4160 marine carburetor (80319-1) is an OEM equivalent to what you likely have today. Great marine carburetors. ($720)

3) QuickFuel M-600 ($525) or M-650 ($655) marine carburetors. QuickFuel was purchased by Holley and is now part of the Holley line-up. Great out-of-the-box carburetors. The M-600 is based on the Holley 4160 design and the M-650 is based on the Holley 4150 design.

4) Rebuild the current carburetor. If your carb is the OEM / original unit on the engine it may be in need of a rebuild to make it run like new. If you run a carburetor, eventually you will need to rebuild it.

To get the proper rebuild kit, you need the carburetor number. The carb list number should be hand-stamped on the front of the choke tower, to the right of the vent tube. Generally, the list number is 4 - 6 digits long and may have "suffix" numbers also.

I would also take the time to look at the fuel pump in connection with the carb.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to paint it red -- then it will go faster.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2019 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

To get the proper rebuild kit, you need the carburetor number. The carb list number should be hand-stamped on the front of the choke tower, to the right of the vent tube. Generally, the list number is 4 - 6 digits long and may have "suffix" numbers also.
JQ

The list number on the 87 is 50419.

It might even resemble the list number he gave in his first post
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2019 at 12:51pm
Oh, you mean THAT number...

Well as KENO points out, the list number was indeed provided in the original post. Some of us can even read now if you point to each letter and take it slow...

From the Holley carburetor reference chart for a 50419:

Renew Kit: 703-29
Needle & Seat: 6-511
Power Valve: 125-25

The Holley renew kit runs about $45 from SummitRacing.com

JQ

Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2019 at 5:08pm
I Love You Keno.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2019 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Brett Brett wrote:

I Love You Keno.

I.....I.....I.... just don't what to think about this

Before this goes any farther I need to find out a little bit more about your preference in ................boats.

Post a picture of your boat with no top on it to get started
trice View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2019 at 8:09pm
Great list of options JQ, thanks!!

I like the Quick Fuel option the best. I have one on my Road Runner and love it! The decision now is 600 vacuum or 650 mechanical. I’m not sure what CFM the original HOLLEY is? I think it’s a 600. I know it’s a vacuum secondary w/electric choke. Fuel line plumbing is another consideration. The 600 is a single inlet like the original and looks easier to connect. Also wondering if the original spark arrestor will fit the QF?
87 SN
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2019 at 8:23pm
Hi

I'm not JQ ( but I do like red) but I can tell you that most people on here get the 600 with vacuum secondaries. It can flow more air than the engine can use.

The original Holley that you gave the list number for is a 600

You'll need a new fuel line with the M-600. USCG approved rubber line or metal line.
It's actually a more convenient location on the M-600 than the location on your Holley.

Your original spark arrestor may not seat properly on a M-600 because the external float adjusters stick up a little too high and you might need a thin spacer or you might need to do a little work with a ball pein hammer on the underside of the arrestor for clearance.

JQ bought a 600 and then sold it and put a 650 on his engine for reasons that he'll have to be the one to tell you.

trice View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2019 at 9:15pm
Thanks Keno. I’m interested to her why JQ went to a 650 mechanical. The 600 vacuum seems like the closer replacement for a stock 351W.
87 SN
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2019 at 9:31pm
I like mechanical secondaries normally but in a boat where the drivers vary and are expected to pull up skiers frequently the vacuum secondary works very well. They can hammer it without a bog or stalling, the vacuum secondary allows the extra 2 barrels to come on line when needed keep your engine running perfectly most times.
My 2 cents.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2019 at 12:57am

Thanks Keno. I’m interested to her why JQ went to a 650 mechanical. The 600 vacuum seems like a closer replacement for a stock 351W.

The 4160 Holley was OEM equipment on your 351W. As such, the QF M-600 is closer to the 4160 -- no doubt. However, I like the 4150 design a bit better than the 4160.

As for mechanical vs. vacuum secondaries, I like the mechanical setup. The QF carb comes with several linkage options that will open the secondaries at different throttle positions.

My M-650 is set up so that the secondaries kick in at about 1/3 throttle, which works for me and the group of skiers I pull. Hole-shot is very strong and midrange RPM (2,500 - 4,500) is REALLY strong. I replaced the stock cast iron intake with an Edelbrock Performer RPM and I felt that the M-650 was a better match. Based on performance, I feel that I made a good decision.

I also love to work on engines, so sometimes "upgrades" may not be needed, but simply fun to do. Did the M-600 run well? Yes. Does the M-650 run better? I think so, but can't really prove it as it is based on a totally subjective "feel".

The photo below shows my fuel delivery:

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2019 at 8:47am

Thanks Keno. I’m interested to her why JQ went to a 650 mechanical. The 600 vacuum seems like a closer replacement for a stock 351W.

The 4160 Holley was OEM equipment on your 351W. As such, the QF M-600 is closer to the 4160 -- no doubt. However, However, I like the 4150 design a bit better than the 4160.

As for mechanical vs. vacuum secondaries, I like the mechanical setup. The QF carb comes with several linkage options that will open the secondaries at different throttle positions.

My M-650 is set up so that the secondaries kick in at about 1/3 throttle, which works for me and the group of skiers I pull. Hole-shot is very strong and midrange RPM (2,500 - 4,500) is REALLY strong. I replaced the stock cast iron intake with an Edelbrock Performer RPM and I felt that the M-650 was a better match. Based on performance, I feel that I made a good decision.

I also love to work on engines, so sometimes "upgrades" may not be needed, but simply fun to do. Did the M-600 run well? Yes. Does the M-650 run better? I think so, but can't really prove it as it is based on a totally subjective "feel".

The photo below shows my fuel delivery:

JQ

Tom

You should probably be interested in JQ's choice of fuel line and let him explain why he's using some Aeroquip style flexible line line there that might be approved by maybe some Coast Guard but not the USCG   It's not even RED   
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2019 at 9:36am
Aeroquip does make a USCG approved hose , but that ain't it in the picture

Here's a link below

link
trice View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2019 at 12:27pm
Thanks for explaining why you went with the 650 mechanical secondaries JQ. Sounds like the combination is quite a strong performer!

When the 600 was installed did you have a filter between the pump and inlet? Pictures of the QF 600 indicate that the stock Holley inlet filter (at the inlet) is no longer an option. Also, using the stock fuel pump leak tube and oil breather hose is an issue if the original spark arrester doesn’t sit on top of the QF 600. Holley has a tall arrester VERY similar to the original but I don’t see provisions to connect the tube and hose. As Keno suggested a fabricated spacer would be needed to use the original arrester and connect the tube and hose. Hopefully the new motor height will still fit under the motor cover...

Thanks Keno and JQ for the advise.

Ideally I would prefer to install the QF M600, a stainless steel line with inline filter and flared fittings, and reuse the fuel pump leak tube and breather hose with the stock arrestor. Sure is a lot of customizing to run the QF carb, but it should be worth it!
87 SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2019 at 1:20pm
Trice:

My setup has no fuel filter between the mechanical fuel pump and carby inlet. I have a fuel filter / water separator between the fuel tank and the fuel pump. At the top right-hand of the photo, you can see the clear tubing attached to the spark arrestor. That is the visual safety tubing from the fuel pump.

The original spark arrestor didn't quite fit on the original M-600 carb. My engine was originally the throttle-body fuel injection and the spark arrestor may have been a bit different than yours. As such, the original spark arrestor unit wouldn't lay flat on the carb flange -- due to the float adjustment hardware on the QF carb (not on the Holley). So, I went with the K&N unit shown in the photo. The K&N unit has options for a breather hose and fuel safety hose attachments. Another reason I went with the K&N spark arrestor is that it is larger in diameter and thinner than the stock unit. As mentioned above, this engine is sporting an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold -- which is a bit taller than the stock cast iron unit. This whole unit fits under the engine cover with about 1 inch to spare.

Fuel inlet. The M-600 is set up just like your 4160 (port side fuel inlet) so it should bolt right up to the existing fuel line. The M-650 has the fuel inlet on the starboard side of the carby and therefore required a new fuel line. The high-pressure, racing stainless steel braided fuel line shown may not be USCG rated, but it is approved by the Utah Zepplin Spotting Club. For a bonus point, some of the fittings are RED.

JQ

Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2019 at 2:52pm

Trice:

Fuel inlet. The M-600 is set up just like your 4160 (port side fuel inlet) so it should bolt right up to the existing fuel line. The M-650 has the fuel inlet on the starboard side of the carby and therefore required a new fuel line. The high-pressure, racing stainless steel braided fuel line shown may not be USCG rated, but it is approved by the Utah Zepplin Spotting Club. For a bonus point, some of the fittings are RED.

JQ

Different location on the port side of the carburetor on an M-600 compared to his list 50419 carburetor, a different line is needed

Good thing it wasn't the New Jersey Zeppelin Spotting Club

I guess the Hindenburg could have used some of that "spiffy looking fuel line"

I seem to think that JQ used some Sierra 18-8115 fuel line when he had the M-600.

I'll let you search here for people using that line on an M-600 if you think you might be interested   

It's not approved by the UZSC but the USCG approves it.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2019 at 10:20pm
From KENO:
I seem to think that JQ used some Sierra 18-8115 fuel line when he had the M-600.

I bought the Sierra 18-8115 fuel against my better judgment -- I've not had good luck with the Sierra brand. The line was semi-flexible and kinked during installation. That's when I went to the local hydraulic / hose shop and started down the "dark side" path of braided stainless-steel high-pressure, non-USCG approved fuel lines. My braided stainless-steel line is far superior to the POS Sierra line that was USCG approved.

I had 2 of the local "Fish Cops" on my boat this year and they had nothing but praises for the engine and condition of the boat. I guess the braided stainless-steel line must be OK.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 8:49am
You forgot some words JQ, when you say it's far superior, It should be "far superior in my mind"

This is the same JQ that tells people to ensure they use a marine carburetor right?

When you bought a fuel pump for your conversion, you bought a marine Carter. Why not buy an automotive Holley mechanical pump and add the leak off tube and call it far superior. It's chrome and you seem to like shiny stuff.

Or in the case of your highly recommended RED DUI, you could have gotten an automotive distributor like many people seem to do, but chose the marine version.

You probably get a marine starter too when you need one.

Or would you put on a "better" alternator that's not marine approved?

But the fuel line is different for some reason. Everything on the boat is per the regs except that fuel line it seems.

it could very well be better in many ways but not all and probably is, but it doesn't have that pedigree. It's your choice in the end but maybe you should explain why it's "better"

By the way, what did you do with the Sierra POS, return it with an explanation why or did you sell it here on CCF to some poor unsuspecting schmuck who knows nothing with no mention of it being a kinked POS "in your mind" ?

Here's a link to your for sale posting in case your mind is a little cloudy about it.

link
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 11:48am
Geez KENO...who peed in your Cheerios this morning?

Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 11:57am

Nobody at all   

Just curious about why you think this fuel line is so superior while not meeting the standards

I gotta go check my scrambled eggs and see if somebody crapped in em though

BTW you didn't answer the questions
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 12:08pm
DISCLAIMER (for KENO's blood pressure)

WARNING!! ONLY USE USCG APPROVED PARTS (your boat can burn to the waterline within seconds if you don't)

I may or may not follow this advice on fuel lines.

Yup...I sold the flexible Sierra fuel line. I also sold the metal pre-formed fuel line. And, no, my conversation with the buyer did not include my bias against Sierra products as this unit carries the USCG stamp of approval and any contrary opinion is clearly unfounded and therefore should be disregarded. And to put everyone's mind at ease, I did not attempt to convince the buyer to utilize illegal and dangerous non-USCG approved parts, saving himself from an imminent deflagration.

In my opinion, the lack of a USCG approved "stamp" does not automatically mean that something does not meet the standards, it simply means that it has not been tested and approved by the USCG.

** NOTICE **

Parting out 1994 SNOB as it is too dangerous to operate in its current non-USCG state.

Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 12:15pm

JQ,
Should be "most" mornings.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 1:13pm
Bottom line is no one paid off a government entity to get it approved. AN hose is good enough for the FAA but not good enough for the Coast Guard- every boat must have a life vest, but aircraft are not required to have parachutes. On that note every fuel hose on a GT40 has a coast guard approval tag with the approval number on it except the crossover hose for the fuel rails but that's ok it's only at full rail pressure and mounted at the top front of the engine so it will only spray half the engine
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

JQ,
Should be "most" mornings.

Most mornings Pete, I get to laugh about something you've said

I guess I'll go out and starting with some automotive parts, make my own marine carburetor, marine starter, marine distributor and marine fuel line tomorrow since I now know it's OK to do that since I can determine that they meet or exceed USCG regs all by myself.. It shouldn't be very hard The next day I'll tackle an alternator.

By the way, what kind of testing is done to determine whether a fuel line meets those regs?

I just want to verify what I think I might know or not know Help me out here

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 10:25pm
It has been years since I worked with a Rubber company that made USCG approved hose but what I remember is our hose had to meet an approved test and it had to do with exposure to fire. It had to contain the fuel under pressure while exposed to a fire for a certain number of minutes, sorry I do not remember the time frame. The idea was if your fuel hose did not burn through right away in a fire it would give the operator and guests time to leave the boat before pressurized fuel hit the fire.
I am thinking it was something like 2.5 minutes at a certain temperature or in open flame exposure.
There is a reason this type hose is so danged expensive and it may save your life someday.
Be careful, some of the stuff coming in from overseas is questionable. No Agency is actually stopping freight coming in to see if it actually meets the standard stamped on the hose. I would stick with one of the known vendors.
In the old days that was Gates, Dayco and Goodyear, today there are a few more players.
Or just install metal lines and forget about it.
I did not think about it before now but PCM did use a flexible stainless hose on the return line on my GT40, no idea if it meets USCG approval. I would think so as PCM has been at this a long time.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I guess I'll go out and starting with some automotive parts, make my own marine carburetor, marine starter, marine distributor and marine fuel line tomorrow since I now know it's OK to do that since I can determine that they meet or exceed USCG regs all by myself.. It shouldn't be very hard The next day I'll tackle an alternator.

Give me a call and I'll come help out. I've got some experience along those lines. I'll bring the AN fittings.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 10:41pm

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Give me a call and I'll come help out. I've got some experience along those lines. I'll bring the AN fittings.

JQ

OK, we'll have some good ol' fashioned fun

I checked and I have some RED paint
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2019 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

It has been years since I worked with a Rubber company that made USCG approved hose but what I remember is our hose had to meet an approved test and it had to do with exposure to fire. It had to contain the fuel under pressure while exposed to a fire for a certain number of minutes, sorry I do not remember the time frame. The idea was if your fuel hose did not burn through right away in a fire it would give the operator and guests time to leave the boat before pressurized fuel hit the fire.
I am thinking it was something like 2.5 minutes at a certain temperature or in open flame exposure.
There is a reason this type hose is so danged expensive and it may save your life someday.
Be careful, some of the stuff coming in from overseas is questionable. No Agency is actually stopping freight coming in to see if it actually meets the standard stamped on the hose. I would stick with one of the known vendors.
In the old days that was Gates, Dayco and Goodyear, today there are a few more players.
Or just install metal lines and forget about it.
I did not think about it before now but PCM did use a flexible stainless hose on the return line on my GT40, no idea if it meets USCG approval. I would think so as PCM has been at this a long time.

Your memory is pretty good there McD. about being able to withstand the 2 1/2 minute open flame exposure

And that PCM braided stainless hose you mentioned earlier is USCG approved.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2019 at 12:32pm
Despite appearing to kink more easily than I’d like, I have not found the “POS” Sierra to actually restrict fuel flow. I’ve been running mine for years on the BFN that has spun 6k rpm on occasion. Currently working just fine on the 5200rpm detuned version. I’ll gladly take the 50% discount even if the kinking wasn’t mentioned beforehand.

For a cheap (and USCG approved) setup, there are dual taper to barb fittings available for $3 and a length of A1 hose is pretty economical.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic