Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Floor and stringer repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
CTYSouthwind20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTYSouthwind20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor and stringer repair
    Posted: October-06-2019 at 9:53pm
I have a 1978 Correct Craft I've had for 20 years, and just stripped the interior and started into a restoration, beginning with the floor and stringers. Will be pulling the engine soon. I wondered if others, particularly Southwind Owners have hints on the repairs to the floor and stringers. The thread from 2012 on floor repairs was helpful. Does anyone know if drawings are available from Correct Craft showing what was originally installed in the hull?
Charlie
oldskiboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2019 at 7:50pm
Has any of our experts looked at this process http://www.dryboat.com/   I spoke to them and they not only dry out any water in the wood but also inject an epoxy mixture that creates a solid stringer again.   
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2019 at 9:19am
Interesting process how much would they charge to do a small boat?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2019 at 9:31am
I looked at the video and they sure don't give you much detail. Is it a vacuum or pressure process? Heat? I'm sure not convinced on the process. Holes every 6 inches won't do it in my mind. I'll let someone else try it first!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2019 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I looked at the video and they sure don't give you much detail. Is it a vacuum or pressure process? Heat? I'm sure not convinced on the process. Holes every 6 inches won't do it in my mind. I'll let someone else try it first!

Sometimes you need to do open heart surgery even when you like the laparoscopic version better from cost and time. I cannot imagine after seeing some of the rotten stringer dust and junk left in the fiberglas cavity that once housed a stringer, that this less invasive process is worth even trying. Like Pete says— let’s try someone else’s boat first. Sure would be nice if it did work.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2019 at 8:55pm
I spoke to one of the owner of the company. The process uses dry air under pressure. Once the moisture is gone they inject the product that turns ever thing solid again. They are looking for dealers. Currently they work on larger boats, but they would like to be able to bring in a number of smaller boats and do them all at once. That would bring down the cost.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2019 at 9:21pm
That would be interesting if it worked but when your foam is saturated like a watermelon and your stringers are the consistency of coffee grounds I just don't see it can work.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2019 at 10:23am
Hi Charlie, looks like a good project, and a lot of enjoyable work. You don't really need drawings, since you have the boat. My recommendation is to take a billion pictures as you remove the sole (floor), and every step of the way. Make drawings as you go with measurements. Some rebuilders, after removing the sole, choose to do one side, port or starboard at a time so as to use the un-removed side as their guide.

As Pete often says, please post a lot of pictures, we love them. It is soon be mid-December, so you don't have time to waste if you are planning on using the boat next year. Looking forward to following your project.
1980 Rebuild
Diary
Signpainter, Disaster Responder, Longline Barefooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTYSouthwind20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2020 at 1:53am
Thanks for the suggestions Arklie, I've made a lot of progress on my Southwind 20. I've taken lots of pictures and drawn all of the features of the boat as I've disassembled. When I'm done, I'll have a great drawing of a Southwind 20 including sections thru the floor and hull at several stations, along with a wiring diagram for the dash.

It took a while to measure everything up and mark the stations, but I finally started cutting out out the sole. I've finally stripped all the foam, and am about to tackle the stringers. Here's a photo of the stripped hull. I've taken lots more (and notes). If I can figure out how to upload, I will post all of them.

The second photo is a new mahogany replacement dashboard I cut out to replace the existing. Still coating it, will post new pics with the new instruments when it's complete.

I'm about to cut out the stringers, I'd love to speak to the gut who replaced his several years ago, the fellow who lost the photos of the process to photobucket. Can any of you provide his contact info? I promise to post what he did (and unfortunately lost)..
Charlie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2020 at 9:15am
I would look at the Bfn stringer threads instead- they’re very similar if not identical.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2020 at 2:47pm
Where is a Bfn stringer thread. I don't know what Bfn stands for.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2020 at 2:50pm
I do like the pictures that Charlie posted, I didn't know that the stringers holding the engine only went part way the length of the boat. And the new dash is a quality piece of work.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2020 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by oldskiboat oldskiboat wrote:

Where is a Bfn stringer thread. I don't know what Bfn stands for.

If you click on the link below, both of your questions should get answered   

link

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2020 at 1:02pm
Perfect! Thank you. I noticed a few member were concerned about the Photobucket photos, but all I needed to do is right click on them and do a save as. The photo is then easy to see.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2020 at 1:14pm
Opps, made a mistake is saying just right click for photobucket pictures. Here is what I had to do. Right click on the photo in the forum, then click on copy image address.   Go to photo bucket (do not upgrade for a fee) Just paste the saved address into the Search area and you will then see the clear photo and you can download it to your computer no charge.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2020 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by oldskiboat oldskiboat wrote:

Opps, made a mistake is saying just right click for photobucket pictures. Here is what I had to do. Right click on the photo in the forum, then click on copy image address.   Go to photo bucket (do not upgrade for a fee) Just paste the saved address into the Search area and you will then see the clear photo and you can download it to your computer no charge.

There might be an easier way for you depending on your browser.

If you use Google Chrome, the link below tells you how to download a photobucket fix that will let you see those pictures nice and clear without having to do any downloading of individual pictures. It's from the Google Chrome Store.

The end of the thread has the latest fix that is working right now.

It's worked for a good number of people.

It's so simple that somebody like me or a caveman could do it given a few tries.   

There are fixes for other browsers too that will accomplish the same thing.

You'll see the pictures as you read the thread, unless the person has removed them from Photobucket

link
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskiboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2020 at 2:30pm
Cool, works great. Thank you.
Gary
The Villages Fl.

75Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTYSouthwind20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2020 at 2:24am

Hi guys, Corona has provided form extra time for me to make progress on my 78 Southwind restoration. I have both stringers removed and new ones cut, along with the keelson and engine box and new stringers. Hopefully this photo upload works, I have lots of pictures throughout the whole process that I'd be very happy to share. Engine rebuild is going well,
Charlie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTYSouthwind20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2020 at 6:46pm

The engine compartment is complete, ready to start epoxy and glasswork. Am working on the forward frames next.
Charlie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic