NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

93 Ski Distributor gear problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brittcrowell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittcrowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 93 Ski Distributor gear problem
    Posted: September-15-2019 at 1:51pm
ProTec to DUI gone sideways!
So just got the old '93 Ski running last weekend and running across the lake it just died while running at speed. Figured the ProTec took a crap so I ordered up the DUI and new wires and went to start the swap last night. Big Shout Out to JPASS!
Pulling out the ProTec dizzy and that's when things went sideways. So the dizzy gear is toast and there are burrs on about 3 or more of the cam gear splines on the cam shaft.
Guess I'll just more forward with the DUI switch over and check it afters a few hours to see how the new gear on the DUI is doing before tearing down the whole engine.
I did put a socket on the oil pump and turn it to make sure there wasn't anything binding it up. It was easy to turn and with a little turning and the switch on I could make the low oil pressure light go off, that was kinda fun.
Thoughts? Advice? Condolences?

Then to top off the evening, when I was giving up for the night, I kicked the ski pole walking around in the boat and the six point 1/2" socket I left on top of the flame arrestor flopped over, rolled off and went right down in the dizzy hole, and noooo, it didnt stop on top of the oil pump, it kept going. So now I have a socket down in my oil pan too.
'93 Ski Nautique (needs new interior)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2019 at 6:50pm
From those pictures, I don't think a new distributor gear (your new DUI) will last very long without being damaged by the damaged teeth on the camshaft gear
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 2:39am
You may have passed something though the Oil Pump and loaded up causing the teeth to break down or something dropped right onto the cam gear doing the damage. I have seen oil pumps with dents in the teeth from something passing through while running. It happens.   Sometimes you see the drive rod twisted like a barber pole.
Sorry about the socket, Put a strong magnet in the oil pan and don't worry about it. It will find the magnet and sit tight till you get to overhaul time.
I never have tried to run a damage cam gear. As Ken says it may cause another quick failure of the dist gear.   You may need to pull the cam and oil pan to clean out the broken metal and retrieve the socket.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 9:36am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Put a strong magnet in the oil pan and don't worry about it. It will find the magnet and sit tight till you get to overhaul time.

Why throw more junk into the pan?

I think you mean to put the magnet on the outside of the pan

Down at the bottom at the back of the pan would be a good spot, since that's where the socket will most likely end up on it's own.
brittcrowell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittcrowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 10:19am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Put a strong magnet in the oil pan and don't worry about it. It will find the magnet and sit tight till you get to overhaul time.

Why throw more junk into the pan?

I think you mean to put the magnet on the outside of the pan

Down at the bottom at the back of the pan would be a good spot, since that's where the socket will most likely end up on it's own.

Yea, I don't want to drop any thing else in there for sure! I've got some old hard drive magnets I can stick to the outside of the oil pan for sure.

I was surprised the gear on the ProTec sending unit was made of a ferrous metal and magnetic.
'93 Ski Nautique (needs new interior)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2019 at 10:42am
Originally posted by brittcrowell brittcrowell wrote:

I was surprised the gear on the ProTec sending unit was made of a ferrous metal and magnetic.

Don't be surprised

Both the original distributor gear and cam gear were cast iron.

You can find lots of reading out there about gear compatibility
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2019 at 6:01pm
Many manufacturers install magnets in the Engine Oil Pan usually on the drain plug to catch anything floating in the oil. Same for differentials.   If it works for GM and Ford at the factory it wont hurt your boat. It is just one more small insurance policy hoping to make an engine run longer and give you a clue when things are going bad you will see it on the drain plug.
I am a few days late on this, we took a small vacation to attend a wedding.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic