NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tunable rudder screws rusted

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wtrskior View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wtrskior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tunable rudder screws rusted
    Posted: August-22-2019 at 5:16pm
The rudder on my 01 SN had the tunable foil. I'd like to adjust but the screw heads are heavily rusted, to the point that it's barely possible to see that they were Philips heads. I assume the screws are also rusted in there.

Any suggestions on how to remove the screws and replace?   Any chemical that will deoxidize the screws so I can loosen?
I've tried PB blaster.   Wouldd prefer not to pull the rudder and take to a machine shop!!

2001 Ski Nautique CB w/ GT40
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 5:57pm
Is it possible to get a grip on the head of the screws with vice grips? Of course they’ll need to be replaced with SS screws after removal.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 6:29pm
Kyle,
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by flyweed flyweed wrote:

I use PB Blaster....I have a large family, and we have 6 vehicles between my kids, wife and I..I do all my "under car" work myself, and there is a ton of rust and corrosion. PB Blaster soaked part, let it sit overnight..and I've never had an issue with any fastener.

Dan,
You would be better off using bilge oil from a Russian nuclear sub!! You probably get the PB at HD too!!

BTW, Here's a copy from a previous post: You too have fallen for the BS!!!

You have fallen for the BS advertising hype with the PB! Go for the scientific facts and not what's written on a can. "as advertised on TV" is always a dead on indication that a product is C***. If I remember correctly, Billy Mays at one time was pushing the stuff!

Here's the list of torque requirements copied from another thread:

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

I don't even consider WD40 to be a penetrating oil so that puts PB at the bottom for me. Kroil is a on line order only so when I was taking my 1927 Flexifour apart and trying to break the rusted pistons loose, I did pick up a can of PB. A week went by with no luck and then the Kroil came in. The next day after using some of the Kroil, all four pistons were loose. I ended up using the PB as a honing lubricant!

Go for the 50-50 home brew. It works as many including myself have found out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 10:20pm
I could not get visegrips on my heads, no space
You need to create head on other end of bolt
Split a nut on the short dimension Thread onto bolt, grap nut with vise grips, without ruining threads it will act as clamp too
Pb blaster previously soaked and try to remove existing rusty nut
Once the rusty nut is away from surface tap bolt out to allow visegrips on original head
Took me 1 hour each
And there always the double nut trick. For adults
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 10:33pm
BTW. I’m gonna try some of the other recipes. Had no idea liquid wrench was better
Wtrskior View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wtrskior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 10:56pm
Haha. Thanks Pete.   Im pretty sure I got the PB at Canadian Tire aka church.

I also have a can of seafoam deep creep,about 2x the price so I use it sparingly but I'll mix up some home brew and give it a shot.
2001 Ski Nautique CB w/ GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic