Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Matching up gelcoat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Chickenlegs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickenlegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matching up gelcoat
    Posted: August-22-2019 at 9:20am
I have an 89 Martinique in warm gray that's in need of a small (12" x 1" wide) gelcoat repair. Ive found the color in one gallon from Iboats. I really don't need that much gelcoat. Would it be just as easy to buy a smaller qty of gelcoat in neutral and pigment, and try to color match it myself?

Also, after grinding out the repair would it make more sense to add fumed silica to polyester resign to build out the repair to just below the level of the gel coat, then finish off with gelcoat, or build the entire repair with gel coat?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 10:39am
The gel from iboats will most likely not match anyway but it would be a start. How much is a gallon? How much is a qt of neutral and do they have tints? You will find the hardest part of the repair will be the color match, at least it was for me. How do you plan on applying the gel to the repaired area? Do you have buffing and polishing capabilities? Got any experience with auto body painting, it is very similar. Have you checked into the cost of having it done professionally? Not trying to discourage you. Gel is approximately.025-.030 thick if I remember so the underlying surface has to be built up. Do you have any pictures of the area your repairing?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Chickenlegs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickenlegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2019 at 3:40pm
A gallon is $250. Quart is about $50. Tints are about $50 for a small combo pack and $5 for individual colors. I plan on applying gel to the repair area. I have experience with auto-paint and body as well as fiberglass. Cost to have repaired professionally are about $800 though that's the only quote I've gotten. Picture of damage and a pic of a motorcycle trailer I designed and built:

Thank for the reply.
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 9:53am
try spectrum for your color match for gelcoat..with that said..if they CAN match it..it still won't match perfectly with your boat..as your boat will most likely be a bit faded and discolored from age, sun, water, etc. If you are really good with fiberglass/gelcoat repair you can mix it yourself to color match it exactly doing your own pigment mixing. BUT..just an FYI..Gelcoat is NOT bondo and car body work won't necessarily give you any help when working with Gel coat.
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by flyweed flyweed wrote:

car body work won't necessarily give you any help when working with Gel coat.

I beg to differ. You'd know how to handle a paint gun, how to color match,how to blend, know how to color sand and buff. Most likely have the equipment as well. Turns out my gel gun also works with Imron very well
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2019 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by flyweed flyweed wrote:

car body work won't necessarily give you any help when working with Gel coat.

I beg to differ. You'd know how to handle a paint gun, how to color match,how to blend, know how to color sand and buff. Most likely have the equipment as well. Turns out my gel gun also works with Imron very well

Plus 1 with Gary.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic