Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1966 318 impeller?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
railroadjjjsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote railroadjjjsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1966 318 impeller?
    Posted: August-12-2019 at 8:41pm
New on here and have 1966 correct craft barracuda 318 haven’t had very long always wanted one and finally got it. Runs awesome bit ever since I had it the guy had a receipt for getting tune up and impeller but if I sit running at idle it runs up 180 looks like maybe clinging then but I go down the lake it drops down to 130 even 120 but go back to idle it slowly rises up again. Never had a boat like this but I love it I was guessing impeller since temp goes down while running down the lake. Any ideas or experience with this would greatly be appreciated.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2019 at 12:48am
Not impeller based on those symptoms. Check hose clamps for tightness... but those swings don’t sound crazy and may be normal.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2019 at 1:28am
Seems like 180 at idle would mean lack of flow. Definitely check clamps and make sure no way to suck air, also belt tension to make sure it's not slipping.

Did you run it at all on the trailer, feeding water to the raw water pump? Would be interested to see if you still hit the 180, if water is flowing out both pipes.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
SN1648 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SN1648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2019 at 8:59am
Make sure there is a thermostat in it and that its working properly.
railroadjjjsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote railroadjjjsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2019 at 8:04pm
I appreciate the reply to my post and the hoses actually do look old and feel kinda old too so may just replace the hoses and check the thermostat and pretty sure this may work because it doesn’t try to run up and overheat all the time I really appreciate it a lot and thanks
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2019 at 4:23pm
Did you use SHERWOOD IMPELLER'S ?
woodyelc
66_Cuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66_Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2019 at 10:24am
Please tell me about the Sherwood Impellers. Mine is also a 1966 Chrysler 318 Poly A engine.

I am gathering parts for a refresh during the winter, and the impeller is unknown age so will be replaced.

Thanks,

Jack
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2019 at 10:40am
We may have same raw pump. Mine is a Sherwood d60. It has two inlets and two outlets. Impellers are part number 9959k. Not to expensive. With hose connectors orientation closest to motor, in is bottom hose and out is top hoses
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2019 at 10:48am
A number of years ago at the river run one of our members decided to change his impeller before going out for the day. He had gotten a deal on aftermarket impellers from work. He pretty much spent the whole afternoon troubleshooting cooling problems until someone else gave him an oem impeller. Immediately his problems went away.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2019 at 11:19am
I second that. No more Chinese made garbage for me, just to important
66_Cuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66_Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2019 at 10:53am
Part number 9959K was what I found also, but it is a 12 vane impeller & the engine manual calls the impeller 6 vane (on electronic page 17).

What can you experienced folks tell me about this? Is the 12 vane a modern replacement or should I keep looking for a 6 blade?

Thanks,
Jack
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2019 at 10:58am
Mine certainly had more than 6, is shaft size same as your shaft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic