Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop selection question

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Crmaverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop selection question
    Posted: August-11-2019 at 3:04am
I’m looking at ordering an Acme prop for my 454, it’s a LH motor. Dumb question does this mean I order a LH prop? I was looking at getting the Acme 541
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2019 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Crmaverick Crmaverick wrote:

I’m looking at ordering an Acme prop for my 454, it’s a LH motor. Dumb question does this mean I order a LH prop? I was looking at getting the Acme 541

In your case you need a LH prop with your 1 to 1 transmission that turns the same direction as the engine.

Not exactly knowing what you're using the boat for, I'd say you might want to do a little more research before getting a 541 with your 400 ish HP 454 in the boat

What's on it now as far as pitch and diameter?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 1:14am
I’m not sure I’ll have to take a measurement, but when I punch the throttle at 30 or so it cavitates. Out of the hole it doesn’t cavitate though, guessing whatever on there is wrong
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 8:26am
It would be a lot easier to read what's stamped into the hub for diameter and pitch.

You must have 4 thousand or so HP if it acts like you describe above, cavitating when you punch it at 30

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 9:03am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

It would be a lot easier to read what's stamped into the hub for diameter and pitch.

You must have 4 thousand or so HP if it acts like you describe above, cavitating when you punch it at 30

Haha makes sense, how about a RH prop would that cause it? Print is hard to make out except for one code. Does this look like an RH prop?

Also measures out to an 11” prop.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W9mwUGi4wbtHeQJ1y5_0twl2P8nAhnDN/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qej4GlOPJpcaY5bv8g_PW0Z87VTT5yb0/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oYGUAEFVdVZuhp0gNQU1lbL0t7HPB-F-/view?usp=drivesdk
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 9:10am
What's up with the stop collar?

And that's a LH prop, we determined that when you first arrived

Should be 13x14

I see prop damage and wonder if the key is spun out
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 9:16am
That engine should spin a 13x14 5200rpm abouts or higher

You put a 451 on it it's going to frag the engine
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 9:22am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Right I was looking at 541 prop, one on mine measures out to 11” and makes me cavitate past 6000 rpm
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 9:23am

451 that must be a case of inverse, modified dyslexia or something

You better turn the key off and hide it somewhere till you get something like Gotta Ski mentioned as a starting point to keep the RPM's down
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 9:36am
Indeed, we advise against the 541 you are looking at!

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 9:40am

Indeed, we advise against the 541 you are looking at!

Sounds good thanks. How about the acme 425? It’s a 13x13. All the 13x14 are no longer available for some reason
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 9:47am
Look on the end of your prop hub where the nut butts up against it, you might find the dimensions stamped right there.

Some have it on the other end too.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 10:06am
Mav

You have a PM
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 10:23am
why the chub for an acme?

What's your intent with the boat?

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 10:56am

why the chub for an acme?

What's your intent with the boat?

Haha I hear they’re good props. I’ll be pulling skis and tubing, probably mostly cruising though
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 4:01pm

What's up with the stop collar?
I see prop damage and wonder if the key is spun out

Somethings very odd with that prop. Besides the key, I wonder about the taper in the bore.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 4:49pm

Haha I hear they’re good props. I’ll be pulling skis and tubing, probably mostly cruising though

I see
Well a great prop but wrong size will still leave you flat, or worse, broken, you understand.

Something is amiss, continue to be patient with our inquiries, and we'll get you sorted out and undo what has been mismanaged prior to it getting to you.

A run of the mill 13x14 federal should still pull 3 footers on that boat so its not like you should need to experiment with an unproven recipe to get similarly good, solid performance.

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 4:59pm

I see
Well a great prop but wrong size will still leave you flat, or worse, broken, you understand.

Something is amiss, continue to be patient with our inquiries, and we'll get you sorted out and undo what has been mismanaged prior to it getting to you.

A run of the mill 13x14 federal should still pull 3 footers on that boat so its not like you should need to experiment with an unproven recipe to get similarly good, solid
performance.

I actually ordered a acme 425 this morning

https://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1130

Skidim recommends them on the barefoot 454, ordered from nettleprop.com for $345

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 5:03pm

I see

A run of the mill 13x14 federal should still pull 3 footers on that boat so its not like you should need to experiment with an unproven recipe to get similarly good, solid performance.

My next issue is how do I pull that old prop with that collar in the way?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 5:08pm
That’ll come out of the hole well but you’re gonna need more prop up top... probably not the best all around choice. At least for an early hull with the HO.

Delta is a site sponsor and $10 cheaper with free shipping FYI.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 5:10pm

You may need to disconnect the shaft coupling at the trans and pull the shaft aft so you have room for the puller between the collar and strut. Then pull the collar along with the prop.

I recommend looking at the shaft very carefully and see why the collar is even on there. I suspect there's damage to the tapered bore of the prop.

Don't forget to lap the new prop to the shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You may need to disconnect the shaft coupling at the trans so you have room for the puller but, pull the collar along with the prop.

I recommend looking at the shaft very carefully and see why the collar is even on there.

Don't forget to lap the new prop to the shaft.

What’s lap the prop to the shaft, is that putting in the key way?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

That’ll come out of the hole well but you’re gonna need more prop up top... probably not the best all around choice. At least for an early hull with the HO.

Delta is a site sponsor and $10 cheaper with free shipping FYI.

Maybe I’ll send this one back if I don’t like it, what do you recommend for a delta prop on a 454 2001?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 5:19pm

I see

A run of the mill 13x14 federal should still pull 3 footers on that boat so its not like you should need to experiment with an unproven recipe to get similarly good, solid
performance.

Skidim recommends them on the barefoot 454, ordered from nettleprop.com for $345

Let's hope somebody replaced that original 1 inch shaft with a 1 1/8 shaft somewhere along the way

Otherwise it'll be a loose sloppy non fit

Hopefully a prop puller is in the order too, no fair beating on the old one with a hammer.

Good talking to you earlier today

I guess you won't need my loaner prop to try

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 5:24pm

I see

performance.

Let's hope somebody replaced that original 1 inch shaft with a 1 1/8 shaft somewhere along the way

Otherwise it'll be a loose sloppy non fit

Hopefully a prop puller is in the order too, no fair beating on the old one with a hammer.

Good talking to you earlier today

I guess you won't need my loaner prop to try

Thanks yeah I saw that they were used on the barefoot 454 so I figured safe to order. I did order the puller and hardware kit
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 5:29pm
They're not used on many direct drive Barefoot 454's at all since forward would be reverse and vice versa.

And .....................the direct drive Barefoot 454's had a one inch shaft.

Hope you got it right

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 5:40pm

They're not used on many direct drive Barefoot 454's at all since forward would be reverse and vice versa.

And .....................the direct drive Barefoot 454's had a one inch shaft.

Hope you got it right

Hmm well the 425 I got is a LH 1 1/8 shaft.

Would a 13x12 prop have more top end speed than a 13x13?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 5:40pm

What’s lap the prop to the shaft, is that putting in the key way?
Proper prop installation
Acme actually recommends the procedure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 6:47pm
We are talking about 400 hp at 5100 ish rpm LH engine in a 2001 - acme 431 is the correct prop. Unfortunately mine didn't survive more than a day or two before I destroyed it, but worked great while it was on.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2019 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

We are talking about 400 hp at 5100 ish rpm LH engine in a 2001 - acme 431 is the correct prop. Unfortunately mine didn't survive more than a day or two before I destroyed it, but worked great while it was on.

Joe,
What happened to the prop? Did it flatten out? Throw blades?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic