Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat getting hot

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JeffL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat getting hot
    Posted: September-16-2006 at 7:28pm
Well guys, I took the boat out for the first time today, and it was really heating up at low speeds. Once you got planed off and started moving along it cooled down to about 140, but at low speeds and idle it really heated up to about 180-200. Any ideas as to why this would be happening? Thanks again guys, you have been a huge help so far. Jeff
1968 CC Mustang 302
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 7:38pm
Hey JEFFL- my 88 does something similar. While sitting idle it heats up. Its just hard to get freshwater (cool water) pumping through the cooling system because the intake on the bottom of the boat relies on the movement of the boat to bring new water in the system. May not be the same thing but I thought i'd give my 2 cents...good luck!
mars
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 7:39pm
Sounds like the impellor is worn. Each blade can get a slight flat spot on them effecting the pull. When they get worn with a flat spot, it wont prime itself sitting still, but when you start moving, the force of water hitting the pick up screen helps send water to the pump.
Tim D
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 8:10pm
You might inspect the tranny cooler too, some times gra$$ or debris can get trapped there.
hasbeenskier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 8:11pm
It sounds like youre sucking air somewhere. Check all your hose clamps and the strainer to make sure everything is on tight.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 9:28pm
if you don't have a sea strainer get one, but start at the tranny cooler and then move to the RWP it should work the same no matter what speed the engine is at otherwise there is blockage some where or the belt is loose.
JeffL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2006 at 11:14pm
Thanks, I checked all the lines from the intake to the water pump and no clogs, just alittle rusty. Is 200 degrees to hot of a temp for these motors to reach? Also when driving along and the motor is running at 140, when I shut it down the temp climbs right up to 180 or so, is this normal? One more thing I noticed is that the battery box hole is filling with water, should it be? Thanks again guys, and sorry for all the questions..
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 8:20am
Originally posted by JeffL JeffL wrote:

Thanks, I checked all the lines from the intake to the water pump and no clogs, just alittle rusty. Is 200 degrees to hot of a temp for these motors to reach? Also when driving along and the motor is running at 140, when I shut it down the temp climbs right up to 180 or so, is this normal? One more thing I noticed is that the battery box hole is filling with water, should it be? Thanks again guys, and sorry for all the questions..

200 degrees isnt hot enough to do damage to the motor, but dont push it. 160-180 is the appropriate operating temp. It should hold that temp even at idle. You are getting inadequate cooling at idle, either due to a damaged, inefficient impeller, or youre sucking air. Check all your hose clamps. You shouldnt have water in your battery compartment- you either have a leak in the hull or one of your hoses is leaking into it.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 9:09am
My battery box always has water in it. Plug off the drain hose in it and that will fix the problem otherwise the bilge water will always migrate into it.
JeffL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 9:14pm
Well, took the boat out again today, after tightening all hoses and double clamping a few, the boat ran at 150 degrees the whole afternoon. So I guess it was sucking air. Thanks alot guys thats the type of fix I like. Also if the battery box is collecting water does that mean the whole right side of the boat is filling up too, and saturating the foam? Is this a major problem or a easy fix? Thanks Again! Jeff
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 10:04pm
JeffL, my daily driver is a '68 Mustang. If you have pics of yours please post them. How did your boat end up with a 302? Mine has a 289.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 10:23pm
Hi-ya J_I_H: haven't seen ya post much lately.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 10:26pm
Yeh, it's kind of a mood thing.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Jim_In_Houston Jim_In_Houston wrote:

JeffL, my daily driver is a '68 Mustang. If you have pics of yours please post them. How did your boat end up with a 302? Mine has a 289.

The 302 must have been an option in '68. My family had one for 20 years that my grandfather originally bought new, and it had a 302.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 9:33am
I a$$umed I had a 289. Now I wonder. I will have to researce the differences. I measured the bore when I had the heads off and it had a 289 bore. Maybe a 302 and 289 have the same bore? A little more research needed here.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 9:53am
They Definitely have the same bore, just a small change in stroke between the 289 and 302 shorter connecting rods and a throw on the crank and 302 was born. My 67 mustange came to me with a 302 but it wasn't original so it could have been changed, Ford debuted the 302 in 1968 as far as I know but its possible the interceptor division got the go ahead a year early? The only way to know for sure which you had is to measure the connecting rod length.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 2:14pm
Hi Jeff- glad to hear your overheating was simply a loose connection. I would advise you to check the impeller as well. Based on you previous posts about cranking you boat over alot in the drive way without any water hooked up, you may have damaged the impeller.
-Brad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic