Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Water impeller broke apart where do the pieces go?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water impeller broke apart where do the pieces go?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Crmaverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water impeller broke apart where do the pieces go?
    Posted: July-13-2019 at 9:59pm
I went to replace the water impeller and found that basically all the fins ripped off. I found some chunks in the housing area. I also took off the thermostat and found chunks wedged in the thermostat spring, where else should i check for pieces? Also should I pull the thermostat and try running it to flush bits out?

I’m alittle concerned there could be pieces blocking water ports in the heads, not sure if that’s possible or not though. Anyone know where I can find a thermostat for this?

Thanks
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 12:45am
Check upstream at the water pump inlet hose. When this happened to me, most of the broken vanes were found there.

SkiDim.com may have your thermostat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 1:19am
Originally posted by bfootr bfootr wrote:

Check upstream at the water pump inlet hose. When this happened to me, most of the broken vanes were found there.

Is that the hose that feeds into the impeller, from the water intake on the bottom of to boat?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Crmaverick Crmaverick wrote:

Is that the hose that feeds into the impeller, from the water intake on the bottom of to boat?

That's the hose he's talking about. If you unhook both ends and flush it, you'll be sure nothing remains

Don't stop with the inlet hose, pull all the hoses on the discharge side too and check/flush them and also the inlets to the exhaust manifolds, the thermostat housing, and the inlet to the circulating water pump.

Most times they don't end up internally in the engine blocking water passages,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 10:00am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

That's the hose he's talking about. If you unhook both ends and flush it, you'll be sure nothing remains

Don't stop with the inlet hose, pull all the hoses on the discharge side too and check/flush them and also the inlets to the exhaust manifolds, the thermostat housing, and the inlet to the circulating water pump.

Sounds good thanks I’ll do all that

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 10:01am

Do you know where I can find a thermostat for this motor ? 84 pcm 454
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 10:20am

I believe he is talking about the engine water pump inlet not the RWP. I have also heard of junks being found in the exhaust manifolds/risers.
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 12:12pm
I'd say bfootr meant the inlet hose to the RWP based on a previous discussion in a recent thread,

If you look at how the pump is built, it should be pretty easy to see that as vanes are coming apart and the pump isn't doing any sucking, the suction is a pretty easy place for pieces to land and get stuck and not found if you don't look there .   

The drawing below might help

Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

It is very easy to install the raw water pump upside-down (backward). That would be my first guess. The plagiarized picture below can help:

JQ
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 12:39pm
While normally I don't know enough to help others which is frustrating, I do on this topic. This year when I replaced some electrical parts I started my engine with the boat out of the water and it literally would not shut down. It took me about 45 seconds to get my wits about me enough to unplug a relay to shut the motor down.

So I go into the impeller housing, find a very damaged impeller, and yes the pieces broken off were stuck in the intake including the impeller housing itself.
CYS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 12:50pm

I'd say bfootr meant the inlet hose to the RWP based on a previous discussion in a recent thread,

If you look at how the pump is built, it should be pretty easy to see that as vanes are coming apart and the pump isn't doing any sucking, the suction is a pretty easy place for pieces to land and get stuck and not found if you don't look there .   

The drawing below might help

Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

It is very easy to install the raw water pump upside-down (backward). That would be my first guess. The plagiarized picture below can help:

JQ

I’ll double check that diagram when I get back.

So far I’ve flushed every hose, found one more piece under the trans cooler. I found some in thermostat , I shined a light into the intake to the left and right of thermostat. I can see some bits down there I need to fish out. Does that mean I’m screwed and have pieces clogging up in the heads?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 12:59pm

So far I’ve flushed every hose, found one more piece under the trans cooler. I found some in thermostat , I shined a light into the intake to the left and right of thermostat. I can see some bits down there I need to fish out. Does that mean I’m screwed and have pieces clogging up in the heads?

Probably not

A picture would be helpful.

Regardless of whether you think you're screwed, I'd put things back together and run it and check temperatures before jumping to any conclusions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 1:13pm

Probably not

A picture would be helpful.

Regardless of whether you think you're screwed, I'd put things back together and run it and check temperatures before jumping to any conclusions

Here’s pics of inside intake next to thermostat

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BDe3HhN6AF8AA2YFwrPBK9ZufrGPjoha/view?usp=drivesdkhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1BDe3HhN6AF8AA2YFwrPBK9ZufrGPjoha/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sfJq4Y2mR_6XratpoHaB8zAVeezilJlK/view?usp=drivesdk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 1:26pm
It’s actually intake gasket I was seeing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 4:45pm
Got it back up and running, seems to be running cool enough on the hose.

I also drained my oil yesterday and found about a quart of fuel in the oil. My fault for not disconnecting the throttle control when I was rebuilding and testing the control.
Motor was only run 15 min on the hose with fuel in the oil, would that likely damage bearings or ruin the cylinder walls? Oil was pretty watery, I’d like to think I just gave it a nice internal flush/ cleaning haha
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 4:51pm

Got it back up and running, seems to be running cool enough on the hose.

Depending on how you have the hose connected, a water test may provide a better answer. The water pressure from a directly connected hose will mask cooling problems.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2019 at 9:41pm
Hey Guys - have the same impeller issue so that's for the insight.. In testing my transmission (separate thread) I noticed some smoke at the pump outlet hose...and very little water coming from the exhaust. Shut down immediately but alarmed at the condition of the impeller. Flushed hoses etc to find the pieces and fairly certain I've cleaned the debris, but my question is about the fit of the replacement impeller. Based on my engine (PMC302) with a sherwood pump, I bought the proper impeller from SkiDim... but it fits VERY snug, and "crushes" against the cam, leading me to wonder how tight is too tight?   Does this look okay?

Also - noticed some fluid in the bilge (in addition to a bit of water). It's peanut butter brown... is this oil?   Haven't noticed until today when taking apart the pump.

Here's a few pics... love any insight.   Thanks guys - Eric

'79 Skitique - first boat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2019 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by edamario edamario wrote:

Hey Guys - have the same impeller issue so that's for the insight.. In testing my transmission (separate thread) I noticed some smoke at the pump outlet hose...and very little water coming from the exhaust. Shut down immediately but alarmed at the condition of the impeller. Flushed hoses etc to find the pieces and fairly certain I've cleaned the debris, but my question is about the fit of the replacement impeller. Based on my engine (PMC302) with a sherwood pump, I bought the proper impeller from SkiDim... but it fits VERY snug, and "crushes" against the cam, leading me to wonder how tight is too tight?   Does this look okay?

Also - noticed some fluid in the bilge (in addition to a bit of water). It's peanut butter brown... is this oil?   Haven't noticed until today when taking apart the pump.

Here's a few pics... love any insight.   Thanks guys - Eric

I’m pretty sure that’s what my impeller looked like, the oil could be spilled from an old change, spilled from removing the oil filter
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2019 at 9:47pm
looks like we both need to better recognize failing impellers!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2019 at 9:55pm
Eric,
The impeller fit looks perfect.

I have a feeling you've been running the RWP dry.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2019 at 9:58pm
Thanks Pete.

And yea, I'm afraid of that for sure. The oil scares me... will reinstall the impeller (thanks for confirm) tomorrow and replace thermostat which I think may be bad... and see what happens. Fun times!

Thanks guys - Eric
19892001Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19892001Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 3:53am
I have also ran my impeller dry and shredded it into the cooling system.. I'll replace the impeller tomorrow and see how it goes. Interested to see how you make out.
Slalom - you can surf, jump, trick, wakeboard, barefoot if you want
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 4:23am
wipe some dish soap on the new impeller before install. It allows you to spin it into place with very little drag. Makes the install a snap.   The soap will wash out as soon as you start the engine so no risk at all just a lot less work putting the new impeller in.
Soap does not age the rubber. Any oil or grease product can damage the rubber so soap is a good option.
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 10:52am
1989:   I ended up removing all the intake/outlet hoses, and clearing them.   Found most of the pieces in the hose from the fresh water intake to the block. Did the dish soap trick, replaced the impeller and it's been fine since. Of course, my thermostat doesn't work, so fine is potentially relative, but it runs cool to the touch. Hope it's as easy for you! Good luck.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 10:55am
Originally posted by edamario edamario wrote:

1989:     Found most of the pieces in the hose from the fresh water intake to the block. .

Between the trans cooler and RWP?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
edamario View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edamario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2019 at 11:04am
exactly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic