NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Deep-V hulls-boat search continues.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deep-V hulls-boat search continues.
    Posted: June-24-2019 at 12:36pm
Hey gang, as I continue to turn my boat hunt into a full-blown research project, one of my thoughts is a deep-V might be an appropriate compromise given the lake situations here in CT, and generally a more family-happy boating day. It's likely I'd trailer and while my 3300 lb capacity covers quite a few boats, I'd likely go smaller to give my 16 year old Volvo transmission a break.

With that said, my recollection of deep-V's include the Barfoot/Martinque, Southwinds, Freeport, Marauder.

Anything I might be missing or incorrect on?

Thanks much,

Ultra.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 12:40pm
Dominique

Separator, Torino, Swinger
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 1:19pm
Marauder from 60s and very early 70s is basically a flat bottom - same as a wildcat. Rides better in bigger water than a cuda, classic, SN but not a southwind or barefoot ride. The 73ish on marauder is a bit more of a modified V in the front and has some strakes in the hull but certainly still flattens out in the back.   Better ride still than the earlier marauder but still no southwind or barefoot.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 2:19pm
None of the boats on your list weigh less than 3300 lbs on a trailer. The 16’ Torino/separator might be close.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 3:53pm
Hey gang:

First, thanks for all the intel Joe. Secondly, Ben is right on. After looking at all the data so far, the larger hulled boats will put me over the weight budget. When I first started this project, I suspected that if I wanted to trailer with my existing vehicle, I’ll need to compromise with one of the 16 foot boats. Anyone have the trailer data handy for the CC units used on the smaller boats?

Arrrrg...things we’re so much easier living on the water with a lift!

Ultra...

zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 6:05pm
There's a couple bigger boats just a few hours north of you. What Volvo are you towing with, and how far are you hauling? Is 3,300lb the max tow rating or is that your preferred limit for long hauls?

'87 Dominique with 94 original hourshttps://hartford.craigslist.org/boa/d/canton-1987-correct-craft-dominique/6917474081.html

Cuddy Nautique https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/d/saugus-23-correct-craft/6916052661.html
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 6:34pm
I have an idea.
Upgrade your antique Volvo for something that can pull more than a Radio Flyer and get the boat you want not the one you have to settle for.
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 6:49pm
...or - if he lives only a mile from the ramp - just rent a Tahoe for long hauls. I can put my Mustang in the water with my lawn tractor.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I have an idea.
Upgrade your antique Volvo for something that can pull more than a Radio Flyer and get the boat you want not the one you have to settle for.

Yep, Gun has it right, but it’s all a compromise. Let me check the cap on my ‘94 E320 wagon

Yes, 3300 max cap, and that’s with it braked. Half that non-braked.

Ultra
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I have an idea.

Yep, Gun has it right, but it’s all a compromise. Let me check the cap on my ‘94 E320 wagon
Ultra

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic