Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2000 GT-40 Overheats at planing speeds

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2000 GT-40 Overheats at planing speeds
    Posted: June-24-2019 at 9:51am
After 19 years of good and faithful service, my 2000 SN (Ford PCM GT-40) has engine overheating problems. Idles nicely at 165F at the dock and underway at 4mph, but when up on plane at say 25mph gets up to 200F after just a few min. The port (passenger) side exhaust system runs much hotter than the starboard.

Cooling water system output I think is fine. Replaced water pump impeller (old one was shredded - more on that later) & thermostat; strainer is good. Tested the output with the boat in the water; flow from the thermostat to the port side exhaust manifold filled a 3 gal bucket in 1 min; on the starboard side it took 50 sec.

Exhaust system on port side runs very hot. I replaced the exhaust pipe & 16" hose leading to the muffler. There was some disfiguration on them, I assume caused by high temps. Took off the riser/elbow and it seemed fine, put in a new gasket and re-assembled. Flushed out the exhaust manifolds & got some crud out. Engine still idles fine but overheats at speed; no improvement.

Have searched for pieces of impeller vanes in all the usual places, but have found very little, which worries me. Could they have flushed out? Or are they trapped somewhere in the internal engine block cooling water passages?

Checked the exhaust ports, leading into the ex man with my new temp gun. Port side runs about 20F hotter than starboard side. But the Ex riser on the port side runs about 55F hotter than the starboard.

So -- does all of this indicate that my problem is a bad ex manifold on the port side? I can get a new one (man + repair kit) from DIM for $327.   Or -- are those pesky old impeller vanes hidden somewhere in the block and causing my problem, necessitating a very difficult engine disassembly?    Thanks in advance for any advice!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 11:17am
Have you been boating for a while this year (after any winter lay up) without problems?
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 11:29am
You can verify / confirm that your temp sending unit and gauge are both working correctly with your I.R. gun. You may want to run at full speed and get the temp to the 200 degree mark that you mentioned. Quickly back off to idle and kill the motor. Then shoot the temps of:

- Thermostat housing
- Intake manifold at cooling water inlet
- Water pump (not raw water pump)
- Exhaust manifold risers
- Block near heads at each cylinder
- Etc.

That should give you a better picture in real-time. I'm wondering if debris or a piece of the old shredded impeller is causing some kind of obstruction.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 2:57pm
Hollywood,
I have not been boating this year after the winter layup. One more item that could be helpful in the diagnosis:

My boat has always been a FL boat, so I never had to worry about freeze protection. But next winter she'll reside in NC, so I've been trying to get smarter about winterizing. In Jan I was bored and "practiced" removing all the drain plugs, and drained the water, in the comfort of my garage. Left her in the garage (FL) until May, engine block dry. [Oops I guess this is why my water pump impeller disintegrated -- lesson learned!] In May, getting ready to take her up to NC for the summer, started her up in the driveway on fake a lake. Temp gauge never came up, no water flow out the back, yet seemed to be getting hot so I shut her down after 5 min or so. Inspected impeller and it was shredded, so replaced it. Started up in driveway again and temp & water flow seemed fine, so off to NC. It's only now in the open lake when I run her up to cruising speed that the problems occur. Thanks!
Shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 3:01pm
JQ:
Thanks, good suggestion, I'm away from the lake this week but will try next weekend. But I would say that the dash temp gauge seems to be working properly.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 4:40pm
Well now knowing you monkeyed with it I’m suspecting a major air leak.
Shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 4:50pm
Hmm. I took off, drained, & re-installed w fresh teflon tape:
- exhaust man & block drain (port)
- exhaust man & block drain (stbd)
- U tube drain by water pump (stbd side)
- transmission cooler plug

All seemed to go smoothly. I don't have a torque wrench, but tried to tighten all back firmly. No stripped threads or anything. Where would you suspect an air leak?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 5:24pm
Air leak would be more likely to cause an overhead at idle. Overheat at speed lends credibility to the blockage concern.

I would bank on the impeller bits causing your problem... and I’d be suspecting the manifolds/risers more than the block passages. After checking the hoses one more time, my next step would be to pull the riser(s) off and inspect/clean. Replace the gaskets and possibly swap them when reinstalling.
Shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 5:36pm
TRBenj,
Thanks. I already pulled the port (hot) side riser off; inspection seemed OK, and installed a new gasket. But haven't pulled the port exhaust manifold yet. I'm worried about breaking the bolts... But if that's where the problem is I'll have to go for it. Any suggestion on a penetrating oil that might help get the old bolts out?

When you say to possibly swap the gaskets, do you mean reverse the front/back? I thought the correct way was to have the blocked water passage go towards the exhaust outlet. I put the new one on that way - same as the old one.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 5:41pm
Yes you want to block the rear hole so water is forced up and over the top of the riser.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 5:46pm
Let the bolts soak with atf+acetone for a bit... but the best defense against breaking those bolts is heating them up a few times. Hot hot.

Not swapping gaskets, swapping risers. If you find minimal/no blockages then swapping side to side will allow you to see if the problem follows the riser or not- and help isolate where the blockage is.

Like HW said, you’ll have riser cooling issues if the gasket is installed backwards.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 6:22pm
One thing to keep in mind is that the inlet to the port manifold is quite a bit more restricted than the starboard side.

The 2 manifolds are exactly the same but when they're mounted to the engine, they're 180 out from each other and the port inlet and the starboard drain plug are both restricted more than the starboard inlet and the port drain.

You notice this when draining for the winter and probing around the holes with a finger.

There's not a lot of space on the port inlet and it's easier for impeller chunks to get stuck there.

You have to unscrew the 90 degree fitting and use something like a 90 degree pick and a flashlight to be sure the smaller spaces didn't trap some chunks.

This may be hard to visualize but if you take off the inlet elbows on both manifolds and stick a finger in the manifold, you'll understand
Shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 6:46pm
Keno, thanks. I did take off the inlets (90 degree brass fittings) on both sides. Looked w flashlight, probed around with my little finger. Got some crud out (sort of like rusty sand). I had hoped to find large impeller chunks, but did not. I also removed the ex man drains, and flushed w garden hose. Also back-flushed. Got some sandy crud out, but not any satisfying size impeller blade pieces. Afterwards, no improvement in the overheating...
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 7:33pm
This exact issue happened to me earlier this year on my 89’ SN. The broken impeller vanes were partially clogging the INLET hose going into the water pump. I assume you checked this hose? Once I cleared mine, the overheating at acceleration and at planing speeds ceased. Problem fixed.
Shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 9:32pm
Argh! I did not check the INLET to the water pump! Will do asap. I assumed that the flow would take any broken impeller vanes downstream - to the thermostat, exhaust headers, etc. Thanks for the suggestion. If it works it will save me a ton of time + $!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Shooter Shooter wrote:

Argh! I did not check the INLET to the water pump! Will do asap. I assumed that the flow would take any broken impeller vanes downstream - to the thermostat, exhaust headers, etc.

Many think the same looking downstream but, what's forgotten is when the boat comes out of the water, some water flows backwards by running out the thru hull pickup Check your trans cooler for the same reason.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 10:18pm
If your impeller is found to be failed and missing chunks you need to search inside the cooling hoses until you find all the large pieces. A small piece should blow through but the larger ones can plug things up. I have found chunks blocking the thermostat inlet, not sure it that was inspected yet on your boat..
Shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2019 at 1:43pm
Just talked to a friend who had a similar problem and ended up having to repair his hugger muffler. His thoughts:

1. While broken impeller blades usually impede cooling water flow and are typically the issue, my test of the flow into each exhaust manifold showed that the cooling water flow was OK. So, even though I did not find all the pieces, that is not the problem.
2. Constricted exhaust flow in the muffler may be at fault. Could be on the port (hot) side, maybe an internal component broke restricting the flow, causing excess temps in that side riser & pipe.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2019 at 5:49pm
I seem to remember reading not too long ago here on CCF about an overheat issue at higher RPMs that was a hose collapsing on the inlet side of the RWP. As I remember is was fine at idle and lower RPMs and would collapse at higher suction and starve the RWP.. Also have you checked the Transmission cooler inlet screen for possible partial restriction????
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
Shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2019 at 6:01pm
Mpost, thanks for your suggestion. Hose is fine at idle at the dock, but at speed out on the lake I haven't checked for any collapsing problem. Will check it.
I have checked the transmission cooler inlet screen and it was fine.
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 2:51pm
Bad baffle in my muffler caused temperature differential between 2 risers. It also caused a loss of top end power.

The muffler would also pillow up when engine revved in neutral. Sound was different too.
2007 Ski
2002 Ski
Shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 4:23pm
Thanks, I will try revving in neutral and observe muffler; had not done that.
Shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2019 at 11:23am
Success!
After receiving good advice from bfootr & others, I checked the water pump INLET. Tons of broken impeller chunks found blocking the entrance to the pump housing. Cleaned everything out and now boat runs great! I had been looking downstream of the impeller only. Lesson learned!
THANK YOU to all here who offered suggestions and saved our July 4th family ski vacation!
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2019 at 9:21pm
Glad you got it fixed.
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2019 at 11:02am
Gotta love the knowledge available on this site !!!
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic