Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help me choose valve covers and accessories

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
robdubbleu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me choose valve covers and accessories
    Posted: June-21-2019 at 2:22am
Hey guys,

I'm having my engine rebuilt and have spent many many dollars at Summitracing. However, I just need some valve covers. I'd re-use the stock ones but they're ugly and I am not confident that they aren't bent/warped so I'm just going to buy some new ones.

I'm thinking about these: Valve Covers

I just need some guidance as to what should accompany them. I know I'd need to get an oil cap, but do I need a breather cap or a non-breather? Will the PCV hose plug right into the hole on the other (non-oil cap) valve cover or do I need something else to make that work?

Recommendations welcome.

Thanks!
1976 Ski Nautique (PCM 351) - Currently under major renovation: floor, carpet, interior, gel coat, engine overhaul - ALMOST DONE!
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2019 at 8:22pm
The Scott Drake aluminium valve covers are beautiful. Just make sure that they fit with the PCM exhaust manifold/risers.

PCV on the passenger side and breather on the driver's side. You typically need the PCV hooked up or you'll likely run rich without the extra bit of air it provides. A breather on the opposite valve cover is usually used when you go to an open style air cleaner or spark arrestor. Just my 2¢

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Talley83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talley83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2019 at 12:31am
Rob let me know if those work for you or what you get because I am interested in ordering a pair too and was wondering if they would work. Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2019 at 3:49pm
Hopefully, I didn't mislead you....I don't have a set of the Scott Drake valve covers. I was commenting on the fact that they are very nice looking. I'm using the standard red PCM valve covers. I kinda have a thing for red....

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2019 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

The Scott Drake aluminium valve covers are beautiful. Just make sure that they fit with the PCM exhaust manifold/risers.

PCV on the passenger side and breather on the driver's side. You typically need the PCV hooked up or you'll likely run rich without the extra bit of air it provides. A breather on the opposite valve cover is usually used when you go to an open style air cleaner or spark arrestor. Just my 2¢

JQ

I'm confused. Are you saying I probably need a non-breather oil cap or one that does breathe? I do plan to use the PCV on the passenger side.

Thanks!
1976 Ski Nautique (PCM 351) - Currently under major renovation: floor, carpet, interior, gel coat, engine overhaul - ALMOST DONE!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2019 at 11:02am
On the starboard side, I recommend a breather cap -- preferably one that can be plumbed to the spark arrestor with a 1/2" or so hose. That will help keep the engine compartment clean. On the port side, you have the PCV valve that is plumbed to full manifold vacuum.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2019 at 2:19pm
Rob

JQ seems to have this thought that all PCM Fords have the oil fill on the right side of the engine and the PCV on the left. He's obviously not looked too closely at the earlier ones like your 76 which was back asswards from that. It had the PCV at the right rear and the oil fill/breather with a 90 degree fitting and a hose to the flame arrestor on the left front.

You're really not gonna know what you need till whatever valve covers you get are in your hands and maybe the original 76 parts will fit the holes and then again you may be scrounging for grommets etc. to adapt things to fit.

Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2019 at 3:59pm
You will need 3/8" or 1/2" aluminum valve cover spacers or the rocker arms will hit the valve covers. Without them, your engine will sound like it has thrown a couple rods and scare you half to death.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VALVE-COVER-SPACERS-3-8-FORD-SMALL-BLOCK-289-302-351W-WITH-GASKETLOK-SBF/173864039895?hash=item287b1ab5d7:g:lHMAAOSwdGFY0sp6&vxp=mtr
Striving for mediocrity !
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2019 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Nautilus Nautilus wrote:

You will need 3/8" or 1/2" aluminum valve cover spacers or the rocker arms will hit the valve covers. Without them, your engine will sound like it has thrown a couple rods and scare you half to death.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VALVE-COVER-SPACERS-3-8-FORD-SMALL-BLOCK-289-302-351W-WITH-GASKETLOK-SBF/173864039895?hash=item287b1ab5d7:g:lHMAAOSwdGFY0sp6&vxp=mtr

Direct link for spacers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Talley83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talley83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2019 at 5:05pm
So are y’all saying a standard height aluminum valve cover will need a spacer to fit? Wouldn’t that be just like installing a y’all valve cover and become an issue with the exhaust manifold clearance.
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2019 at 5:54pm
Those after-market Cobra valve covers have slanted sides so lifting them 1/2" will not interfere with the exhaust risers. I just went through all this with an '88 Ski Nautique. It took awhile to figure out what the hell was making all that noise. It was only when we removed the valve covers and turned the engine over with no spark to check the pushrods that we realized the clacking was gone. The underside of the valve covers told the story. We used the 1/2" valve cover risers I recommended. Not cheap but it was necessary.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 1:27am
Wow. Great info here folks!
All that being said, should I look for some 'tall' valve covers that have slanted sides?

Also, the stock valve covers didn't have any spacers IIRC. Were my original valve covers considered Tall versus a standard automotive height?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 9:03am
I don't know what Nautilus used for rocker arms, but if they were stock and hit the valve covers he used, that's a ridiculous way to make a valve cover.

Right about now I'd say to use the old original ugly ones that you know will fit and get the engine running. They're normal height, not tall

I didn't see anything about roller rockers being used in any of your posts in this thread or others so right about now I'd say to use the old original ugly ones that you know will fit and all the plumbing like PCV valve and oil breather/fill will be the same and get the engine running, then worry about pretty valve covers later.

Remember you did mention being on a budget and wanting to keep gasket prices etc down. I'm figuring the old ones could clean up reasonably well for now and maybe even get a cheap paint job

Wait for somebody to tell you they used xxxx brand and what fittings, grommets etc if you don't want to be experimenting.

Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 12:12pm
The black aluminum "Cobra" valve covers are undersize as far as height, at least mine were.   I have no idea why they are made that way.   Probably the best idea would be to measure the height of stock vs after market...from the sealing edges...before you plunk down your money. The selection after market valve covers is fairly limited considering the height and the clearance needed for the exhaust risers.

Here's a photo of a 351 I built a few yuears ago showing the valve cover risers installed. As you can see, I used aluminum exhaust logs with snails instead of the stock manifolds and risers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I don't know what Nautilus used for rocker arms, but if they were stock and hit the valve covers he used, that's a ridiculous way to make a valve cover.

Right about now I'd say to use the old original ugly ones that you know will fit and get the engine running. They're normal height, not tall

I didn't see anything about roller rockers being used in any of your posts in this thread or others so right about now I'd say to use the old original ugly ones that you know will fit and all the plumbing like PCV valve and oil breather/fill will be the same and get the engine running, then worry about pretty valve covers later.

Remember you did mention being on a budget and wanting to keep gasket prices etc down. I'm figuring the old ones could clean up reasonably well for now and maybe even get a cheap paint job

Wait for somebody to tell you they used xxxx brand and what fittings, grommets etc if you don't want to be experimenting.

Thanks KENO! You've convinced me to re-use the old ones for now. I wasn't confident that they were going to have a perfectly flat mating surface but with a new gasket they should seal up fine for now.

And yeah, I have been trying to save money, but have been pretty much unsuccessful
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2019 at 10:17pm
Glad to help you save some money

You can check the covers for flatness and straighten them pretty easily if they're not flat.

The torque spec is about 3 to 5 ft lbs for your stamped covers. That's about 1/2 of a small girly grunt

Too much torque is what warps them
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic