Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Pump 88 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Talley83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talley83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Pump 88 Nautique
    Posted: June-20-2019 at 2:44pm
Anyone know where I can get a new oil pump for my 88’ 351 PCM?   We were having low pressure issues and believe it may be the culprit. So why we were looking through the motor we thought we would change it. I have the part number off the one in there but I’m also not sure if it’s the correct pump and hadn’t been changed before by the previous owner.

Also can anyone tell me how to upload a photo? I’m new to this forum.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 4:45pm
Melling makes replacement Oil Pumps here in the USA. They have good product.
Melling pumps are available at many sources.
There is nothing unique about a boat oil pump.

FYI: The oil pump is the last part inside an engine to ever wear out. They have constant oil supply for lubrication.
The part that may fail is the oil by pass inside an oil pump. If the by pass sticks open you will have low oil pressure. If it sticks closed you will have high oil pressure.

It is important to check the oil pump pickup tube, if the tube comes off or gets loose you can have oil pressure issues. On the new install it is a good idea to verify the oil pick up is properly located at the bottom of the pan with 3/8 to 1/2 inch clearance.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 7:14pm
Some things to keep in mind are

You want the normal stock volume oil pump not a high volume oil pump. The Melling part number is M-83 or you can cross reference that to some other brand

One reason is that if you have issues that you think the high volume pump will solve, you should fix the issues and not throw a band aid at the problem

Second reason is that a Melling high volume pump is tall enough that you won't be able to bolt the oil pan to the engine because the pump hits the pan if it's the original PCM pan.

Also if you're not familiar with Small block Fords pay attention to the orientation of the oil pump intermediate shaft that gets put in place as part of the oil pump installation .
process

Instead of trying to explain it here, you can find plenty of info on the internet.

If it's the original PCM pan and pickup tube, then reuse the oil pickup tube and screen after a good cleaning of those parts. This puts the suction in the right place in the pan.

If unsure , then you'll have to check for proper location like Mr McD mentioned.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 7:28pm
Ken your knowedge base never seems to come up short.
Talley 83 you got perfect advice from Ken, I did not know about the High Volume pump interference issue. Good to know.

.One thing not mentioned, before tearing anything apart it is always a good idea to hook up a manual oil pressure gauge and verify your pressure issue is real and not just a gauge problem. 75% of the time an oil pressure issue is due to a bad sender or bad gauge or wiring.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Ken your knowedge base never seems to come up short.
Talley 83 you got perfect advice from Ken, I did not know about the High Volume pump interference issue. Good to know..

I didn't either till trying it and seeing that air gap between the pan and block

It was a remanufactured marine long block that came with a Melling high volume pump.

I don't know if all 351W high volume pumps are the same height

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 7:36pm
Mitch

If you read the post in the link, you'll get a double bonus.

There's a picture of a PCM 351w oil pan from the 80's and you'll also find directions on posting pictures as the thread goes on.

Hope they work for ya'

link

Edit.............. the picture directions in the next post are better
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 7:44pm
Here's a link to an old thread about posting pictures with some screen shots posted that should get you through the process on a laptop or PC.

link

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic