Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damaged 1974 Mustang 17

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Joe Calcagno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damaged 1974 Mustang 17
    Posted: June-11-2019 at 2:44pm
Dear Forum,
On Saturday morning a storm at Lake Tahoe damaged my 1974 Mustang 17. I will need a new strut and shaft. Can anyone suggest a reliable vendor for me?
Joe
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 3:50pm
measure your shaft,i have two from a barracuda about 40 inches ..and strut also dont know if strut is the same ???
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 4:13pm
M17 used a 6a. Barracuda didn’t- something with a larger flange.

M17 used a 40” shaft like the m16/skier/etc, I believe. Barracuda shaft was longer (41”) I thought.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 5:23pm
Thank you for your gracious and rapid reply.
My shaft is one inch in diameter and exactly forty inches long overall. It has a keyway on the forward end that measures 2-1/2" long and fits a 1/4" straight key. It has a taper on the propeller end, but I don't know how to describe that taper other than it also has a 2-1/2" long by 1/4" straight keyway. The propeller end has a 3/4 x 10 right hand thread to secure the propeller.
I'm trying to get photos of the strut so we can see what it looks like.
Thank you again for your help.
Sincerely,
Joe Calcagno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 5:27pm

I made a mistake on the year model of my Mustang 17. I said it was a 1974. That was incorrect, it is a 1979 model.
Sorry for any confusion.
Joe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 5:47pm
Thank you for your rapid reply. We have had this boat since new, and it has been maintained in almost perfect condition mechanically. It ran perfectly.
Can you tell me what's a 6A?
I know that it has a one inch diameter by 40 inch long shaft.
I will also need a new strut. I'm trying to get photos of the bent strut so we can see what we are looking for.
Thank you for your help.
Sincerely, Joe Calcagno
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 6:14pm
Joe,
The 6A is the strut. How bad is it since they can be straightened?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 6:17pm
Thank you for your reply.
It's too far damaged to straighten.
Do you know of a place where I can buy a new one?
Thanks, Joe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 6:32pm
I found a strut called a 6A6.
It says it's for Correct Craft Mustangs and other older boats.
Could that be the same as the 6A?
Joe
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 6:43pm
Joe,
Yes, the 6A6 is the longer version of the 6A. I went through the same issue a couple years ago, bought the 6A6 and cut it down in length to match the original 5". I don't believe the 6A's are available so the 6A6 is the route to go.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 6:47pm
Okay, thank you. You say the 6A6 is too long so you cut it down. Did you do that with a saw, or was it necessary to take it to a machine shop to have it cut down to 5 inches?
Joe
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 6:47pm
Joe,
Regarding the prop shaft, have you looked at the double tapers? Besides the tapered prop end, the coupling end is also tapered. A matching tapered bore coupling comes with the shaft. It same the heat shrink interference fit required with the straight bore coupling/shaft. ARE is one brand and then General Propeller also makes one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Joe Calcagno Joe Calcagno wrote:

Okay, thank you. You say the 6A6 is too long so you cut it down. Did you do that with a saw, or was it necessary to take it to a machine shop to have it cut down to 5 inches?
Joe

Hack saw works. Porta band works. Reciprocating saw works. No machine shop needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 6:58pm
Great, thank you.
It turns out that I have the double tapered shaft in there right now. I had forgotten because I changed the shaft several years ago to the improved style that you mention. This morning I measured the original shaft here in my shop before I gave the measurements not remembering that the shaft had been changed.
Sincerely,
Joe Calcagno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 6:59pm
Okay, that's great.
Thank you for all your help today.
Joe Calcagno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 7:01pm
hey joe,went to the parts shed i have a 40 shaft if you need it 75.00 plus shipping,let me know.ill try to post pic later.have not located a 6a or 6a6 strut yet.
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by 93/70 ccpb 93/70 ccpb wrote:

hey joe,went to the parts shed i have a 40 shaft if you need it 75.00 plus shipping,let me know.ill try to post pic later.have not located a 6a or 6a6 strut yet.

Dan,
I have a feeling Joe will want to replace the shaft with a double taper.

I have the double tapered shaft in there right now.
Sincerely,
Joe Calcagno

Is the one you have a double?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 7:14pm
It turns out that I already have a double tapered shaft in there, and my son just removed it this morning and he says that it's absolutely straight. Two people remarked that it was bent, but when removed it looks like it's dead straight.
Thank you for your offer at $75 for the shaft. That's a good price and I appreciate it.
I still do need a strut, and I think it's a 6A at five inches.
Sincerely,
Joe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 7:30pm
Yes, it's a double taper shaft.
What's happening is that my son is doing the work in Truckee California and I'm here in Soquel bu Santa Cruz, trying to help with parts acquisition.
About nine years ago I changed the shaft to the double taper type but I didn't remember that. I had used the improved double taper then.
He's removing the parts to assess the damage and the information I'm getting is coming in hourly. It's clear that we need a new strut, and the 6A is probably the one I need. I found a 6A6 for sale new but I'm told that it needs to be modified to fit our boat.
Once again, I'm veery pleased to have the opportunity to talk with people at Correct Craft Fan.com.
I'm a Corvette restorer, so I'm out of my league when it comes to boats.
Sincerely,
Joe
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 8:04pm
Looks like you're in a pretty exclusive league when it comes to 56 to 62 Corvettes.

Here's a link to Joe's website

Hope you don't mind Joe    

link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 8:24pm
I don’t mind at all.
It’s interesting to note that I give technical advice on early Corvettes every day, and now I need help with my Correct Craft boat. If you look at my web site, you will see a link, “Ask Joe a Question”
I have answered two questions already today, and I enjoy doing it.
This forum is wonderful. Today I have learned a lot through the courtesy of your members.
Thank you,
Joe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 8:43pm
hey joe founbd a 6 f or b marked on strut ,hope tim looks and can tell us if thats right or wrong...base is 5 3/4 by 4 5/8   strut shaft hole is 5 1/8   middle of mounting holes are 4 1/2 and 3 1/2
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 8:54pm

It's clear that we need a new strut, and the 6A is probably the one I need. I found a 6A6 for sale new but I'm told that it needs to be modified to fit our boat.,
Joe

Joe,
What were you told needed to be modified on the strut?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 8:55pm
My base is: 5-3/4 long x 3-3/16 wide. Mounting holes are: 2-1/4 x 4-1/2.
Thanks, Joe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 9:00pm
ok sorry couldnt help you out,back to the shed they go.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 9:00pm

My base is: 5-3/4 long x 3-3/16 wide. Mounting holes are: 2-1/4 x 4-1/2.
Thanks, Joe

6A6 strut

The 6A6 bolted right up to where my 6A was. Again, what did they tell you needed modification?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 9:01pm
I was told that it needed to be cut shorter. I asked if it needed to be just cut off with a hack saw or did it need to be sent to a machine shop.
He answered:
Hack saw works. Porta band works. Reciprocating saw works. No machine shop needed.
Thanks, Joe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 9:06pm
I sincerely appreciate your looking through the shed for me.
Joe
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 9:14pm

I was told that it needed to be cut shorter. I asked if it needed to be just cut off with a hack saw or did it need to be sent to a machine shop.
He answered:
Thanks, Joe

Joe,
I said:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Joe,
Yes, the 6A6 is the longer version of the 6A. I went through the same issue a couple years ago, bought the 6A6 and cut it down in length to match the original 5". I don't believe the 6A's are available so the 6A6 is the route to go.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Joe

It's the length through the bore where the cutlass is that I cut. The base is the same.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Calcagno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 9:31pm
I am imagining that the part you cut off was a portion nearest the propeller. It looks like that's where the extra length is. Do you remember how much material you cut off, and did you do it with the Cutless bushing installed?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic