Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil pressure issue. Help please!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Lenzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil pressure issue. Help please!
    Posted: June-09-2019 at 10:54pm
Okay. Here's the issue.

2004 SAN 330 Excalibur 5.7

Taking boat out of winter storage today. Fired her up on dry land (water hose connected) to warm up the oil for an oil change. When the boat started up I noticed the oil pressure gauge being a bit erratic. It stabilized after a few seconds so I chocked it up to first time the boat had run since the fall. Content all was well, I stepped away from the gauges to clean and get other stuff ready letting the engine run. Came back to the gauges and oil pressure had dropped to zero and had 'low oil pressure' message flashing. Crap!!! Shut off engine. I suspected it wasn't an actual pressure issue as there was plenty of oil and the engine hadn't exploded. Hooked up a mechanical pressure gauge and was reassured...oil pressure is perfectly normal...thank goodness. I do not believe the gauge is the issue as I got zero on the gauge AND the flashing message.

So-I replaced the sender. Had to order the pressure switch-it arrives tomorrow. Overkill? Maybe. Don't care.

I cleaned the terminal ends of the wires connected to each. Tomorrow I'll replace the pressure switch and reattach the wires.

My question is this...let's assume replacing both the sender and the switch and cleaning the ends of the wires that attach to both do nothing. Where do I go from here? I noticed the switch side of the tee has two wires and the sender side has one. Anything to look at there? Bad ground?

Thanks in advance.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2019 at 11:14pm
You have the dreaded 2003 to 2005 Faria gateway box........ that would be the next place to look IF (and only IF) you have confirmed a good sender and confirmed a good gauge (does it cycle when powered on like the other gauges?) You might have to have a peek in the box..... but stay away until you confirm the gauge and the sender - the harness and gateway box is in between the gauge and the sender ...........
Lenzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2019 at 11:20pm
Thanks for the response.

I tried with the new sender installed. Same issue. Tomorrow I'll try with the new pressure switch. Seems like it wouldn't be the gauge only because I'm still getting the "low oil pressure' message. I mean, if it was the gauge, I'd think I wouldn't get the message as that comes from the switch, not the sender-or am I wrong? I could be completely wrong!

If it is this box, this is something I've never heard of. What is it?

Thanks again!
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2019 at 12:21am
The warning (red light flash) and the gauge reading come from different circuits. Does your gauge cycle upon startup? The gateway box integrates the sender readings and transmits the info to the dash. You need to ensure the gauge is working and the sender is working before worrying about the box. (use a Volt/Ohm meter).....

For further reading: 2003-2005 Gateway box discussion on PN

............but seriously, check your gauge before worrying about all that!! I MIGHT even have an oil pressure gauge. if you need one.........
Lenzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2019 at 9:19am
Ok. I researched the box. Nightmare scenario!

I didn't notice if the gauge cycled on start up or not. I'll check that today. I'm praying that since all the other gauges work it's not the box.   If it is...ugh.

Thanks again.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2019 at 10:26am
Be aware - not terrified.............. just REALLY check everything else first! I have seen wires pulled out of the harness connectors. You see more by looking than by knowing!
Lenzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2019 at 2:31pm
The plot thickens.

Sender and switch both replaced. When I fire up the dash, the oil pressure gauge barely twitches (maybe a millimeter) but the volts/fuel cycle to zero then rise back up to their normal values. There's plenty of sound and whirring noises behind the dash as usual.

Start the boat up. No oil pressure on gauge and the low oil pressure message still flashes. BUT the check engine light is not on.

With all the other gauges working, I'm thinking bad gauge.

Now I gotta figure out how to pull the sucker out and bench test it.
Lenzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 2:56pm
I'm one lucky guy. bad connection behind the dash. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2019 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Lenzilla Lenzilla wrote:

I'm one lucky guy. bad connection behind the dash. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!
   Glad you are all set! I've had dash gremlins this spring, too.

PS. If you need a PerfectPass replacement gauge, I can hook you up. I had to do that this year.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic