Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1979 Fish Natique Help please

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
TJ59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJ59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2019 at 10:33pm
Okay wanted to run one more thing by y'all. After everything is said and done o my timing at idle is actually 12 degrees.. this is a raw water system so of course the garden hose is hooked up to it... It seems if I mess with the dizzy and try to get the degrees any lower than that it feels tight... From what I'm reading 12 degrees is okay?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2019 at 10:56pm
Your instruction sheet for that distributor should say it has 24 degrees of mechanical advance on top of the initial advance

So............24 plus 12 equals 36 degrees total at high RPM

Probably right on the ragged edge of being too high in a big heavy boat.

That's assuming you got TDC correctly figured out and marked by MrMcD's directions,

It might be worth checking your TDC mark , and also that you have the right degree scale

#1 or 6 at TDC the mark on the damper should be at the zero on the degree scale
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2019 at 10:59pm
Just thought I'd mention that if you're turning the timing down, the idle will want to slow down and you'll have to adjust the idle speed to compensate
TJ59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJ59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2019 at 11:06pm
Thank you again guys yeah idle to compensate make sense.
I'm not a 9.9% sure I am on TDC... I think the idle drop and make me think it was going to kill and I was doing the wrong thing. So knowing it is TDC I will back it off and play with it some more
TJ59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJ59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2019 at 11:31pm
Well boys timing is down to 8 degrees and idle.. The RPMs at idle at 600. Start smoothly. No backfires etc ....the exhaust sounds deeper than it ever has. Which leads me to believe my timing has always been off since it has never been set with a light..
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2019 at 11:03pm
Nice rig! I have a 87 with 351w. Awesome for wahoo fishing. This site is awesome and people on here have helped me out a lot over the years.
TJ59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJ59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2019 at 6:02pm

Been trying to figure out a send a picture thank I got it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic