Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Highflyin504 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Highflyin504 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission problems
    Posted: June-09-2019 at 11:35am
Hello all
After all of your advice and helpful tips, I am back yet again with another problem. After I installed all of the new correct parts with the starter, a few other small parts that I felt may need replaced in the near further, as well as a few tune up parts and pieces. I began the process of starting the motor. I had everything set up (fake a lake and all) it started and was running a tad rough. As soon as it burned all the old gas out of the lines it ran smooth. Nothing out of the ordinary considering it was the first start of the boating season for me. After a few minutes of letting it run at idle I noticed two red streaks of transmission fluid running down the hull. I immediately turned everything off and Investigated the problem and found transmission fluid coming out of the main gasket seal where it connects to the block. I had talked with a few people who also have nautiques and they all had different ideas of what it could be. Some said that it may be the main gasket where it was leaking from and I should replace that. Others have said it was the fact that the transmission had worked loose and needed tightened. Not really sure about that one. Others said The transmission cooler was to blame and finally I talked with a new mechanic over the phone about it and he said it was that main shaft seal. Nevertheless I ordered the main shaft seal and new gasket.
So the question I have now is how do I replace that? I have talked with my new mechanic over the phone about it, considering he is about 2-3 hours away. He walked me through it but over the phone is a tad bit difficult considering I do not have good diagrams of the internals of the transmission, so it was hard to understand which parts he was talking about. Also understanding his directions too well, as he was jumping all over the place. Quick phone call and also a bad choice asking him over the phone. That was a mistake on my part. It does not seem too hard but I do not want to mess anything else up. I am trying to do this by myself because he is extremely backed up with other boats and He won’t be able to squeeze me in until about mid July. Also the money factor for his labor rates is pushing me to do it myself. I have already spent a considerable amount on this boat over the years and I don’t want this boat to put me into an even bigger hole. So any advice would greatly be appreciated yet again!

Thank you in advance
Jon
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2019 at 12:08pm
Jon,
Sounds like the mechanic you talked to is correct with the main trans input shaft seal being the problem and the others don't have a clue! - don't go to them again.

The trans needs to come out of the boat. To do this, the aft end of the engine is tilted up (forward) by disconnecting the aft mounts and the prop shaft. A couple bottle jacks under the exhaust manifolds work great for the tilt. Then the pump indexing cover on the front end of the trans is removed. The cover has the input shaft seal pressed into it. Old seal is pressed out and new seal is pressed in. Then reverse to process installing the trans. Before you remove the cover plate on the trans, note it's possition as it determines the rotation of the trans. If the new seal holds then you are good. If not, then the trans pump may be worn to the point where the seal area is over pressurized with fluid. Then it's time for a new trans pump assembly. Take a very close look at the trans input shaft where the seal lip rides. Clean it up with some fine abrasive or a Scotch Brite. looking for pitting. If bad, then a speedi sleeve may be needed.

Post some pictures and we'll see if we can walk you through.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2019 at 12:19pm
If you check the link below, near the end you'll see a pretty good guideline that somebody wrote.

That will get the transmission off and also the bellhousing off, in case you want to replace the damper plate while you're at it.

It you don't replace it, it may die 3 days later and you'll be doing the same steps all over again..................or it may last for the next ten years. Depends on whether you want to do preventive maintenance or corrective maintenance after it breaks.

link

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2019 at 12:32pm
Here's a link to a Borg Warner manual from the CCF reference section so you can see what you're dealing with.

The seal Pete mentioned is the most likely thing to leak, but there is also a big seal where the pump bolts to the rest of the transmission that can leak or loose bolts holding the pump on can cause the same big seal to leak.

Do some reading so you'll be somewhat familiar before you tear into things

link
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2019 at 11:54pm
I took my '93 196 in for another issue this spring and after the bilge was power washed and spotless they noticed my trans leak. Sure it was there before but didn't (want) to notice. The mechanic was experienced and I went ahead and let them replace my seals. Glad I did. Didn't want to be out on the lake and my transmission go out. Now for the bad part... parts and labor was over 1K. I'm not a transmission guy and don't want to learn about that stuff. Got it fixed, now no more worries.
TWSS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Highflyin504 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2019 at 8:56pm
Hello again! So I am finally starting the process of this transmission. I appreciate all the help thus far but I am having trouble even beginning from step 1, and was wondering if someone could give me a hand if I send pictures. I do not know how to upload them on this website. I am having trouble locating which set of bolts to loosen to remove the prop shaft as well as the front end of the trans

Thanks jon
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2019 at 9:10pm
Jon,
If you are trying to post pictures from a mobile device, it's not easy and some have found it impossible. From a laptop you will want to use the "post reply" or the "full reply editor". Then you will see and icon of a tree with an up arrow.Clicking it will bring up a browse box allowing you to select anything off your computor. Give it a try.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Highflyin504 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2019 at 9:57pm
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2019 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Highflyin504 Highflyin504 wrote:

In this picture of yours, the coupling is a little to the right of center, 4 bolts holding the halves together. Take them out, slide the shaft back till the prop hits the rudder. It might take a little persuasive force to separate the coupling halves. That would be a hammer and chisel/screwdriver but don't beat up the halves

The 6 nuts/bolts that hold the transmission to the bellhousing are a little hard to see, but look for the joint where the transmission meets the bellhousing. (3 on each side)

Refer to the link I posted in the 3rd post in this thread for a set of guidelines on what to unhook and the sequence.

You got thru Pete's picture instructions, you can do this too

Edit ....One other thing is that it looks like you have a shaft collar that will need to be loosened to be able to slide the shaft all the way back. It's at the very right hand side of the picture.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2019 at 12:38pm
Where in Pittsburgh ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic