NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New M600 Carb - Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2019 at 10:19pm
There would be, but it's just plain silly not to know what your timing is set at.

Don't be afraid of checking/adjusting timing

Do a little reading, get a timing light and at least check it

Sooner or later you'll have to adjust or replace your points or maybe put in an electronic conversion and you'll have to check the timing.

One of your earlier pictures tells me that you have points, but you should verify that

You did all the engine work, you can easily handle timing checks/adjustment
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2019 at 10:21pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2019 at 11:17am
Got the timing light ordered. I'll post back when I check it.
Off Trail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off Trail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2019 at 10:12pm
Took her out for a spin and some carb tuning yesterday. She rips!

Dumped it in and idled around trying to get the idle screws dialed. Couldn't get above 10-11 on the vacuum gauge. Ended up about 1 1/2 turns out on both to get max idle and vacuum. Took it up to full throttle (light stumble on takeoff) and it ran up to 5,000 rpm quickly. Got about 43 MPH on the gps. About 3mph faster than it was last fall, and 1 mph faster than my Malibu is here. Pretty happy with that!

I continued to have very slight stumble on acceleration, and it would stall if I put it in gear at idle and didn't add throttle. Started messing with the screws again, but then noticed that both floats were running pretty low (I had just set them at the right level at the house before I left).   I raised both floats to where I thought they should be (just above 1/2 way up sight glass on rear, and just below 1/2 in front. I was still having the stalling issue, so I started messing with the screws. Found that RPM and vacuum were the same anywhere from 1.25 turns out to 2.25 turns out so I shot for the middle at about 1.75 turns out. I continued to have the stall issue so after some trial and error discovered I need to be at the rich end of the plateau. So I settled for roughly 2.25 turns out and it now idles well at about 900rpm, goes in to gear smoothly and settles in at 750-800rpm, and revs clean right off idle to 5,000 rpm.

I'm still getting max vacuum at idle (in gear) of about 11 . Maybe it's an elevation thing.   I'm afraid to mess with the carb any more because it seems to be running well all-around. Will be interesting to see what the plugs and the timing look like after another run.

Pretty excited about how it shook out and how easy it was to adjust the M600. Hope I can keep it dialed.

Hitting 5,000rpm pretty easily (at 8,200 feet with an acme 542) is making me think I'm going to need a prop with a lot more pitch if i bring it back to the midwest. I might even be able to run a bit more cup out here. But i like the hole shot right now.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2019 at 12:43am
I believe that elevation is causing your manifold vacuum to be a bit lower than expected. Mine is the same -- I'm at 4,400 feet.

If you are getting a slight hesitation or stumble, give a quick look at the accelerator pump circuit. On my old Holley 4160, I had to change nozzle (squirter) size to cure my stumble 100%. The Holley and QuickFulel are very similar in design, so you may want to look at the following video about accelerator pump tuning.

LINK TO VIDEO

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2019 at 7:53am
And I believe that what JQ believes is what was said earlier in this thread.

11 inches at 8000 ft under load at idle is good.

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2019 at 11:27am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

KENO: At my age, remembering what I said 20 minutes ago can be a problem. This year I hid my own Easter Eggs and was stumped for hours...
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

KENO: At my age, remembering what I said 20 minutes ago can be a problem. This year I hid my own Easter Eggs and was stumped for hours...

Wait till you get to be my age, I'm almost as old as Pete.

I can't remember what I just remembered

We're just backing each other up on that 11 inches of vacuum being normal   

Make those eggs RED and they'll be easier to find

PS it took me 15 minutes to remember how to make those letters red.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic