Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Speaker upgrades

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BobinIL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobinIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaker upgrades
    Posted: May-22-2019 at 12:28pm
My 97 Sport Nautque speaker covers are starting to disintegrate and I would like to just replace the speakers and the covers. What would you all recommend for drop in replacement speakers with probably black hard plastic covers to replace the factory speakers in the gunwall pad of my boat?
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2019 at 11:34pm
Almost all the newer boats come with marine grade speakers that can handle both UV rays and water. These speakers have grills that are both functional and attractive.
TWSS
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2019 at 6:01pm
Marine grade, yes. Price is sometimes another concern. You don't necessarily have to spend top dollar to get a good product. There are literally dozens of manufacturers of marine speakers with probably 1/3 to 1/2 of them not worth even looking at. On the other hand there are a few 'top tier' brands that while look and sound great, KNOW they are good and have that "name" going for them. Usually you'll pay more, and sometimes lots more for those. As with most things, all the ones that make up the middle ground range from being pretty decent to really good or even excellent - they just don't have that instant recognition of the 'elite' nameplate.   If you like having the best, and the most well known and have the money to spend on it, then by all means go for it. If on the other hand you really need to save a few bucks, but still want a great product, some of the others may be worth considering. I'll leave it to the rest of the group to chime in with suggestions on brands and models, but suffice to say if the pockets aren't deep and wide don't be afraid to leave the top tiers on the top shelf. My 2 cents.   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2019 at 6:16pm
I will add, that a bigger part of sound quality is the enclosure or in the case of a combing pad, infinite baffle. A "cheap" speaker put in a precisely calculated enclosure can sound 10x better than a super expensive speaker in the wrong box. Also, full bodied sound is different if you have a subwoofer vs just using a bunch of co-ax speakers. An amp also can improve or ruin the sound. Also, what can your ears hear? Can you actually hear down to 20 Hz or do you start at 35-40? spending a lot of money to produce 20 Hz is a waste then. There are so many parts and so many tastes to sound there really isn't a hard and fast rule for what is perfect. What matters is what you like. Im actually happier listening to a little BT speaker on the boat then I am running a stereo for a slew of different reasons (mostly because its social time and I want to hear my friends talk without shouting).

I will admit, JL puts out a good product though.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic