Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Running Hot

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running Hot
    Posted: April-30-2019 at 5:28pm
Took my 89 SN out to the lake today for the first time (been restoring it since I bought it last November). I had put in a new thermostat (142 degree) and water impeller. Tested great idling at home with the plunger/“fake-a-lake” attachment and hose and seemed to run fine. Temp stayed around 160 degrees. At the lake today, when I would accelerate, it would go to approx 200 degrees and sound the alarm. Then, I would decelerate back to idle and temp would go down to 175 or so. Checked strainer (clean and seal appears to be good) with no noticeable air leaks. Checked exhaust tube for any obstruction and it’s clear. I’m perplexed as to what would cause this and next steps to check. Any thoughts? Thanks I’m advance.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2019 at 5:41pm
Fake a lake is going to push water through engine, so not a cooling system test. Go back to the driveway. Disconnect intake hose, extend if necessary, put in 5 gallon bucket of water. Should draw bucket down pretty quickly. If not, tighten all connections, you already checked strainer,
New impeller should be fine. Was old one OK when you took it out. If broken up, there could be pieces clogging system somewhere.
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2019 at 5:59pm
Thanks for the response. Yes, old impeller was broken and missing most all of the vanes so indeed pieces could be clogging the system somewhere. Should I start disconnecting water lines to see what I find?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2019 at 9:23pm
start at the thermostat housing..
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2019 at 9:54pm
then after that follow the hoses from the thermostat housing to the exhaust manifolds and unhook them from the manifolds. The exhaust manifold inlets are a favorite hiding spot for some of those chunks.

You should look in the manifolds where the fittings screw in as it it pretty tight right there.

Take the fittings off to get a better look.

If the manifolds are restricted , the flow through the engine is restricted too since the flow exiting the engine leaves through the manifolds

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2019 at 12:28am
Make sure the belt is tight...got us once and luckily someone spotted it in our video we posted
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2019 at 9:04am
Thanks for the responses. Sure enough, broken parts of the old impeller were clogging the water pump inlet hose. Running great now!   
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2019 at 9:09am
Bill,
I'd like to add that running the engine dry will burn up a rubber impeller pump within minutes since they are water lubricated. I've even seen it at the launch when the owner decides to " we had better see if the engine starts before we put it in the water."

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2019 at 1:36pm
Great reminder! That’s what happened to me. Lesson learned!
rakerdeal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rakerdeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2019 at 9:02am
This is a great thread. For whatever reason I burned up a new impeller this year, then found this discussion and........
.....found pieces of it in all the places listed above!

New impeller and all is fine.
CYS
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2019 at 3:25pm
Those loose chunks of a bad impeller can ruin a ski trip for sure.
For this reason, and with 40 years of tounament boat ownership I have for many years now changed out the impeller every other year. It has kept my impeller intact for many years now.
You can look up the Timmy T and add it to your inlet hose, it works very well for running your engine at home, better than a fake lake, I have one of those also.
aupatking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aupatking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2019 at 1:10am
I’m fighting with the opposite problem on my GM Excalibur 330. It’s idling warm, over 200 (is my guess) and normal 175-ish at speed. That says to me, new impeller. Brand new impeller and I’m seeing the same thing. Shouldn’t I see a visual “swooshing” of water through the strainer? I feel like water is not being sucked in to the system.
I have:
flushed the system backwards from the raw water pump intake side back through the trans cooler.
Checked for flow from the through-hull and valve.
Checked the thermostat housing for remnants of any old thermostat
Checked exhaust elbow for inner corrosion.
Pulled hoses from thermostat to recirculating pump
Pulled hoses from raw water to thermostat
All with no positive effect
02 SN 196 TSC2 ZO
01 SN 196 TSC1
98 SN 196 TSC1
97 SN 196 TSC1
93 SN 196 NWZ
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2019 at 7:15am
Patrick,
Check the gasket on the sea strainer. Sounds like you may be sucking some air.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2019 at 10:58am
I had a somewhat similar issue and found that by thoroughly cleaning the threads on the spin on water strainer it restored normal operation. The gasket was in good shape. I used an old toothbrush to get all the built up crud off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic