Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1993 Ski Nautique Engine Dies

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
keokimelen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keokimelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1993 Ski Nautique Engine Dies
    Posted: April-21-2019 at 6:43am
Hi, I have a 1993 Ski Nautique that will not run at high speed. I rebuilt Holly carburetor at end of season and replace fuel filter. The boat starts up fine; I can idle ok, however when I try to accelerate, it starts but within 10 seconds it starts to miss and bogged down and engine dies. I am able to started it and idle home. I have try twice to run it and got the same issue.
Could bad gas cause this condition? I have been running motor once a month during winter for about 10 minutes. The problem started at end of season. 2018.

Thanks ,

Keoki
Keoki
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2019 at 8:06am
Keoki,
The first suggestion is to get a pressure gauge T'd into the line from the fuel pump to the carb. This will tell you if there's a pump problem starving the engine. You should see 5 to 6 PSI.

Bad gas is common when a "mechanic/tech" can't figure out the real problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2019 at 8:44am
Do you have the ProTec ignition system?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2019 at 8:46am
That wouldn’t be my first suggestion... not very common for a fuel pump to go.

I’d check the anti siphon valve first. Thats the most common cause of fuel starvation in my experience... not many possible culprits left if the carb inlet screen/filter was inspected/cleaned and fuel/water separator replaced already.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2019 at 12:14pm
Those were the exact symptoms I had when my Pro Tec bought the farm
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2019 at 1:15pm
Thats how my Pro Tec behaved when it died too.

gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2019 at 1:18pm
Don't know much about the ProTec system but now that Chris mentions it I do remember reading several posts about their problems and it certainly sounds familiar. But my first thought was as Benj suggested - check the anit-siphon valve.   While you have stuff disassembled back there I'd shine a light down in the tank as well to see if there are any particulates/ sediment that may be clogging the system intermittently. Again not very common, but when I was rebuilding mine last year I had to drain the system to get the tank out and you wouldn't believe the amount of crud and sediment that was in the bottom of the tank that took me hours to get out.

This is definitely worth checking though. Years ago I had a hot rod Chevy that had remarkably the same symptoms. We went through everything, which included new fuel pumps, rebuilding the carb and changing not only the fuel filter but several fuel lines as well.   Ultimately it turned out to be a ton of sediment in the fuel tank that would float around and under the right conditions and under high demand it would clog the lines and starve the system. After stopping, it would settle and allow the fuel to flow again, miraculously letting me continue, until the next time. This is why I thought it so important to get every las bit of crud out of my tank before reinstalling last year.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keokimelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2019 at 1:45pm
I have checked the anti-siphon and it's not plugged. I do have a Pro Tech ignition. Another note, When engine is idle, I can accelerate engine to high RPM with no problem, not sure what the diff is between idle or in gear.   Thanks for input.
Keoki
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2019 at 1:51pm
Last year during the early part of the season. My Pro Tec equipped motor went into limp mode running at or above 2,000 RPM. Would start and idle fine. Run up to 2,000 RPMs then go into limp mode.
Learned that either bad plug wires, Pro Tec specific oil switch or Pro Tec specific water switch would initiate the limp mode.
I took a gamble and replaced those three items. Spent about $100 on those parts. It solved the problem.
Yes, the Pro Tec will probably fail totally at some point, but that got me back on the water last year.
The anti siphon valve is worth checking also as TRBenj has suggested.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2019 at 2:13pm
(1) NO. R020014
WATER TEMPERATURE SWITCH – 3/8 INCH NPT – PCM EEMS PRO TEC IGNITION TO 1995, #R020014
$38.44

SKU: R020014
Description
Water Temperature Switch – 3/8 inch NPT – PCM EEMS Pro Tec Ignition to 1995

(2) PLUG WIRE SET PCM PRO TEC ENGINES, PCM # RA121040
$47.54
SKU: RA121040

(3) NO. R020015
OIL PRESSURE SWITCH R020015 – PCM EARLY PRO TEC IGNITIONS – SEE ALSO R020015A FOR LATER PRO TEC AND GT40
$6.95

SKU: R020015
Description
Oil Pressure Switch R020015 – PCM early Pro Tec Ignitions – See also R020015A for later Pro Tec and GT40

Bought these three items from Nautiqueparts.com.
Replaced the old parts and it worked!
Can't guarantee this will solve your problem. It was worth a try for me and worked.

desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2019 at 2:28pm
You can just disconnect the oil pressure and water temp switches and see if that helps. The switches are normally open. If the problem goes away then connect one at a time until it fails again and replace the one that causes the problem.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2019 at 2:32pm
Sean is right. You could isolate the problem by doing it that way.
I was short on time, so decided to change them both. And the plug wires....it was time!
BTW, the ProTec water pressure switch is on top of the motor, port side.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2019 at 2:58pm
There is also a 1993 PCM engine manual in the reference section. It shows the wiring diagram for a PCM ProTec engine (either Ford or Chevy)
Was helpful to me.
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2019 at 2:25am
Sounds like you could have a combination of things going on, but definately get yourself a DUI distributor, drain a bowl on the carburetor and take a look at the gas.. . In gear you are under load , totally different than free revving it on the trailer.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2019 at 9:08am
Originally posted by keokimelen keokimelen wrote:

Hi, I have a 1993 Ski Nautique that will not run at high speed. I rebuilt Holly carburetor at end of season and replace fuel filter. The boat starts up fine; I can idle ok, however when I try to accelerate, it starts but within 10 seconds it starts to miss and bogged down and engine dies. I am able to started it and idle home. I have try twice to run it and got the same issue.
Could bad gas cause this condition? I have been running motor once a month during winter for about 10 minutes. The problem started at end of season. 2018.

Thanks ,

Keoki

I got this one! YES, BAD GAS!
I hate to hear of a nice boat not running right, Right?!!
Ok, Moving forward through the numbers...
1) All spin on Marine Fuel filters DO NOT PASS WATER anymore
   or anything else for that matter!
   1A: So, if you have just a little bit of water in the Gas the Boat is gonna Spit and fall on
          it's face when ya hit the gas and with a spin on filter, very shortly won't run at all.
        Also, if the Boat spits, ya just ruined the power valve, most likely :(
        May as well NOT replace the power valve until all is cleared up.
        Replace spin on Filter regularly or as needed.
   1B: in all cases the Boat is gonna Spit and fall on it's face, with water in the Gas
        or dirt. Always have New spin on Filters onboard AND be ready to replace your
        Holley Power valve (or just go get a Spread bore No Power valve, Yay)!
   1C: Solution is, (1A and 1B) Siphon or some how pump ALL the Water from the Bottom
        of the Tank.
        Water sits on the Bottom and looks like an Air bubble on the Bottom (But, it isn't,
        it's Water) cause, water is heavier than Gas. Also, water won't mix with very well
        with Gas.
        So, even though ya pumped the Water out, there still some left especially if
        ya used Alcohol to run the water though your engine (No No).
        So, suck up the Bubble till ya can't see it anymore and dump the Water/Gas into a
        Clear container So, you can see when the Water stops coming out and the Gas
        Begins AND get a Box of Spin on Filters and keep on replacing them each time the
        Engine fails to start, falls on it's Face, Spits and or Dies.

2)    There IS also an inline Filter where the Fuel feed Nuts to the Carburetor.
       This filter usually passes Water but, not always. Clean or replace as needed.

3)   Water (and the Alcohol you used to get the water out before you read My message
      here) usually ruins the fuel pump, Always ruins HOLLEY POWER VALVE and May   
      ruin Rubber Fuel Hoses which will make rubber deposits in your Fuel filter.
      Replace as needed.

!!!SEMI DANGEROUS PART!!!   Safer to Skip item 4 and go to item 5!
4) Not recommended but, I would rather My Boat Run right, than My Car, RIGHT?!!
    So, when ever I run into Water in My Boat Gas; I suck ALL the Gas out, leave the Gas
    Cap off in a well vented area away from your house (It's gonna stink like heck) until
    completely dry inside,
    separate the water and Gas the Best I can and put the Gas in My Y2k 454 GMC Savana.
    The Savana? She loves it!

THE GAS TANK HAS TO BE COMPLETE DRY BEFORE "NEXT"

Disparate times call for desperate measures...

!!!VERY VERY DANGEROUS PART!!!

Next; Vacuum blow into the Tank to get some good clean Air into the tank and GAS
     fumes out. Till you can smell the clean Air coming out of the Tank Vent.
     Another Damn, Dangerous part is, Breathing gas fumes causes Dizziness ...and later?
     Cancer!
    NEXT; Vacuum SUCK the tank clean cause, the little bit of water ya dumped in,
    brought it's dirt bag buddies along with, for sure.
    Remember, THE GAS TANK HAS TO BE COMPLETE DRY cause, a little bit of GAS
    fumes will blow up your Vacuum Really well and really big time!

5)    When ya think your done with 1-3, the final inspection must show the inside of the
       tank ultra clean as in like new and If you see that the tank seems at all wet with
       water, rusty, corroded or is still dirty, after all this;

REPLACE THE TANK! AND Do Item 3, too

1988 2001 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2019 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by 2001 2001 wrote:

I got this one! YES, BAD GAS!

Phase separation from non treated extended layup ethanol fuel?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2019 at 12:23pm
Yes marine fuel filters will pass water , your crazy if you don't think so I have seen it on many occasions . obviously 2001 you need a mechanic with a set of tools that aren't made in china.

Fuel feeds nuts ???? Their is one feed line chief.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2019 at 12:29pm
Whoa

Try decaf
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2019 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Whoa

Try decaf

Certainly a good idea after:
Originally posted by 2001 2001 wrote:

Breathing gas fumes causes Dizziness .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JustinB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 1:28am
I had the same issue, albeit about 10+ years ago. I drained the fuel tank, replaced lines, replaced the filters...still had the same problem on my 90 Ski Nautique.

My circumstances were very similar to yours...I had a newly rebuilt carburetor on mine as well. When I took it to the local Nautique dealer, he told me they had seen tons of problems just like mine with rebuilt carburetors and said I needed to purchase a new one... a couple hundred dollars later, I had purchased a new one and had it installed...problem solved.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keokimelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 6:02am
Good to know, my problem turn out to be a defective fuel pump. The problem was intermittent until it failed completely. Since replacing pump, boat is running good.
Keoki
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2019 at 5:29pm
Congratulations and you had the answer in Post #2!
1987don View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1987don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2019 at 4:18pm
Replace the rubber fuel line it’s probably collapsing inside
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2019 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by 1987don 1987don wrote:

Replace the rubber fuel line it’s probably collapsing inside

Same comment as in your other post

Did you bother reading the whole thread?

His issue was fixed with a new fuel pump

Looking at your old posts, you seem to think that replacing the fuel line is the cure all for every fuel issue out there.

It's a good suggestion but it sure ain't the problem every time   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keokimelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2019 at 4:00am
Thank you for feedback Nautique still running smooth after fuel pump change
Keoki
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic