Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2004 Air Nautique 216 Team Edition

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
n8urelover23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n8urelover23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2004 Air Nautique 216 Team Edition
    Posted: April-20-2019 at 3:39pm
Looking at buying a 2004 Air Nautique 216 Team Edition and had some questions I’m hoping you can help me with...
1. How does this boat ski? (I currently have a 1993 Mastercraft Prostar 205 and I’m hoping it will at least ski the same if not a little better.). I’m an advanced intermediate slalom skier who loves the course. I’m skiing at 32 mph, 15 off currently.

2. Has anyone surfed behind this boat? It does have the factory ballast tanks in the bow and stern. I realize I’m going to need to add more ballast, but wanted to see if anyone out there has used it to surf. If so, how much ballast did you have? How was it?

3. It does have a Flight Control Tower. Any recommendations for a Bimini top?

4. Recommendations for a cover that works with the tower?

I love to ski and my wife loves to surf. Looking for a good crossover boat without breaking the bank!

Thoughts?

Jim
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2019 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by n8urelover23 n8urelover23 wrote:

Looking at buying a 2004 Air Nautique 216 Team Edition and had some questions I’m hoping you can help me with...
1. How does this boat ski? (I currently have a 1993 Mastercraft Prostar 205 and I’m hoping it will at least ski the same if not a little better.). I’m an advanced intermediate slalom skier who loves the course. I’m skiing at 32 mph, 15 off currently.

2. Has anyone surfed behind this boat? It does have the factory ballast tanks in the bow and stern. I realize I’m going to need to add more ballast, but wanted to see if anyone out there has used it to surf. If so, how much ballast did you have? How was it?

3. It does have a Flight Control Tower. Any recommendations for a Bimini top?

4. Recommendations for a cover that works with the tower?

I love to ski and my wife loves to surf. Looking for a good crossover boat without breaking the bank!

Thoughts?

Jim

1) Lots of experts here: I’m not one of them. That said: the 216 probably won’t compare well with the MC 205 for slalom until maybe higher speeds and shorter line lengths where I have no comparison. The 1993 205 is a very good ski hull: especially at your speed and line length.

2) surfing will require lots of ballast: way more than equipped—and I’d think a surf system would deal the deal.

3) Tower Bimini

4) I like Angola Canvas covers. Had one on my Super Sport with tower and it was easy to put on and take off. I can’t remember the name “coversport” or “covermate” or whatever the dang name is, but Swatguy has one and it’s seriously a work of art (and prices accordingly).

I don’t know if there is a better all-around boat than the 206-216 for what you want to do with it. I really like Quinner’s 206 for versatility (and the reverse gel blue and silver). Take a look at his diary pics and I think you’ll agree. Others will surely disagree. I look forward to the thread responses to surely come.

I have never skied behind a 216 or a 211, but perhaps other can weigh in. It’s very much a conundrum when you want to surf and ski from the same hull. I think you’ll miss your old MC. Maybe you should just get a second boat and set it up for surfing?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2019 at 2:47pm
I think Tryathlete is about right on the five points.

I had a custom, sunbrella cover built for my boat with Tower. I like full side coverage and over the platform. It was still in great shape when I sold the boat after 15 years of use.

I've never surfed a 216. I've seen it done. Personally, I would not want to be out in big lake, with that boat, weighted that heavily. But, again, I've seen it done.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

n8urelover23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n8urelover23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2019 at 3:36pm
Tha is for the replies! We decided to hold off on an upgrade to the boat at this time.

Cheers!

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic