NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

67 SN in California back to life

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 67 SN in California back to life
    Posted: July-05-2021 at 9:19am
Oh Jezz. I was trying to forget those days
Only thing on engine not touched is piston and heads. New alt, reman starter, Rebiuld original CARTER carb, rebuilt Sherwood pertronix. All rewired all new hoses and manifold
Blah blah blah. I got lucky motor is smooth and tight
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 8:24pm
Here's a thread on Daryn's boat before it was Daryn's boat, (minus a lot of pictures)

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 1:08pm
Ok. I’ll work on video next trip
Exhaust note at dock is cool
Sounds like a 67 barracuda car at 35mph
Muscle boat ??

10-4 on possible sinking, no crying about toys Could happen. I would be more worried about a hazmat fine and cleanup cost by sheriff and army corps

The small amount of foam I put back was to fill void only and keep water out from under bow and under my feet, much harder to check and get to (not for floatation )   Encased foam with several layers glass and epoxy. It will last another 20 years
Have good 4th
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 11:59am
Glad you are finding stringers to be in decent shape.  Boat looks great by the way.  Now to really challenge you get a video or 2 of it running on the water up on Youtube and link them here.

Not sure I would have put foam back in.  I don't know how people feel about foam as a safety item, for me if my '63 (never had foam) sinks, it sinks.  One time in really rough water on a lake I shouldn't have been out on, I tied a lifejacket and inflated fender to my anchor line and the other end to the boat so if it sunk I'd have a chance to find it again later.  Not sure I'm proud of that one, but it was an adventure. Smile My point is having a bilge that is dry and can be cleaned up seems better to me than having foam, but maybe I'm wrong about that, not sure.

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 10:37am
Removed all foam but replaced with new foam to the area only in front of bulkhead
Did not want water migration up front
May add more to side voids but that’s it
No new foam adjacent stringer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2021 at 10:30am
Stringers all looked amazing, glass still stuck really well. Replaced the side to side ‘ribs’ with IPE (ironwood). Also trimmed and cleaned up the glass connections between stringers and ribs. Trimmed back about 3”x3” , reglassed with 2 thick pieces of matte to fir out and match
Then 2 thick progressive larger with cabosil to fill then 2 thin to smooth out
Then carbon fiber (black) to tie everything
thing together and look uniform
Marine poplar plywood for new floor, several coats spar.
Ring and finger installed now
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2021 at 11:45pm
Thank you ken
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2021 at 1:52pm

Here are Daryn's pictures mostly oriented the right way Wink

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2021 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Dam He’s right again
from 2000 miles away good eye
It’s a 13x15 cupped nibral reconditioned last year
My shaft spins really easy, guessing that’s good??

Umm...........Google says it's about 3018 miles Wink

Send the pictures
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2021 at 7:33pm
So pictures got hacked during ransom ware
Deal. Would love to try again got couple
Perhaps Keno@gmail can assist
Thx 63 for useful comments
Good news 10 hours on new blackfish cutlass no vibes no wear. I listen to CCF and got lucky
So a 13x15 can turn into a 13/14 after reconditioned makes a lot of sense
You saved me a step by keep existing on until I know more
My test copilot and I both said OK fast enough and engine was screaming 44
But I’ll try for 46
Y’all have great holiday
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2021 at 6:55pm
And not likely to hit 50 mph with a stock 318, but 44-46 feels pretty fast in these boats!

I'm not able to see the pictures from earlier in the thread, not sure if that's on my end or they are gone.  If you are able to re-post or add some pictures I'd love to see the boat.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2021 at 6:51pm
Shaft spinning easy can be good or bad.  Good if it means dead-on alignment but maybe not so good if you have too much wear in the cutlass bearing.

Glad you figured out what you have for a prop.  I will say that once a prop is reconditioned in my experience it doesn't spec out quite the same as when it was new.  In other words you might not be able to say "13x15 gives me x for performance" since a brand new version of the same prop would give different results assuming there were some minor changes during the recondition.

There's a lot to matching props to boats to engines, but then again you've got an old school inboard with an engine that, if close to stock, puts out a pretty well known amount of power.  Once you can trust your tach you'll be looking at speed vs. rpm and deciding if the current prop, and then the 13x13, are letting the engine make full power throughout the range.  Don't change out the prop until you get the tach so you have reliable numbers to compare, your gps max speed is one part but you need matching rpm to know what is going on.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2021 at 6:28pm
Dam He’s right again
from 2000 miles away good eye
It’s a 13x15 cupped nibral reconditioned last year
My shaft spins really easy, guessing that’s good??
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2021 at 2:25pm
Thank you. I’m excited about trying the 13x13 with a accurate tach
50 mph would be very cool but not necessary.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2021 at 9:53am
KenO as usual is right on. 13x16 is way wrong, and would result in much lower rpm than speed and lugging that engine pretty hard.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2021 at 9:41am
Great info thx. Exactly what I was looking for
Tach seems to be set on wrong position
Like 12 cylinder seems to be about 15% low. Was reading 3800 when screaming at 41 mph, then WOT to 44mph at approx 4200rpm ?
But I will verify my tach or get new
Your right I need working tach
The 13x13 is on the shelf. I’ll check prop pitch on boat.
I have a medium fancy timing light, advance dial, no tach.
My girlfriend thinks it is a small grandpa type fishing pleasure boat. She is gonna be surprised when it jumps on plane and screams up to 45. It’s fast and loud and squirrelly.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2021 at 9:03am
You should really fix the tach or buy a new one.

If you can hear the engine screaming and it's sounds like it's maxed out with a 13x16 on it, you either have a really, really powerful engine or your "ear tach" is way off or it isn't really a 13x16. Wink

13x16 is too much prop on your boat and is most likely keeping RPM's down and lugging the engine  I'd probably re read the markings on the prop to verify it's diameter and pitch

13x13 would be a better prop, it'll give more RPM's at any given speed, lug the engine less and should be plenty of prop for a 318 to handle without over reving

But....... without an accurate tach, it's hard for you to know what you're doing.

Do you have one of those fancy timing lights that also has a tach feature built in?

How about a picture of those markings?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2021 at 7:37pm
So camped at lake Sonoma
Tested 3 times over 4 days
Went excellent good alt, oil, and temps staying consistent   New fuel tank no crap in filter
Engine is smooth at idle, wot very quick
I can tell pertronix is working
Plugs are nice color. Super happy
44 mph on gps phone. Engine rpm maxed out sound like
My tach is off due to dial in back loosy
But I can just hear engine screaming

However lake is lower probably unusable in August
I’m running a 13x16 now
Gonna try the 13x13 next time
What will the result be??
Anyway that’s the update after really tests
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2021 at 9:51pm
UPS delivered the new UPD plastic windshield. Very excited
Looks great and oem shaped
Super clear of course nice thickness
Afraid to put on , May just save for after gel coat next year
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2020 at 2:32pm
Thanks ‘63’ for link
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2020 at 12:11pm

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/18449/68D9D7BC-CB95-4B76-BDD6-2B63BCC62BEA.jpeg

Pic of stainless cradle

Cradle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2020 at 12:01pm
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/18449/68D9D7BC-CB95-4B76-BDD6-2B63BCC62BEA.jpeg

Pic of stainless cradle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2020 at 11:34am
Next time I get in lake. I’ll take some pics in water.
Busy working on mechanical function forgot camera
As far as ride, it is like grandmas little fishing boat that someone put a huge motor in
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2020 at 12:43pm
I bet it's fast, and these boats always feel/sound faster than they really are! I've never been in an early SN, would like to ride in one sometime. The hull looks so much different from the 16 and 16 1/2 foot hulls, curious how the ride and handling differs. Also would like to ski behind one, just to say I did.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2020 at 11:40am
Oh yes had it out 5 times now
Runs great. Pretty fast too
Lake is closed unbelievable due to virus. Stupid

Just playing keno, I’m way out here in ‘new’ section
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2020 at 12:11pm
Looks really nice! Have you had it out on the water?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2020 at 12:10pm

Well that looks great 67 ski nat
Very classic looking well done

My reading comprehension is a little off this morning.

This looks like 67 ski nat is complimenting himself for having a classic looking well done rear end

Kinda tacky to be complimenting yourself
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2020 at 11:08am
Well that looks great 67 ski nat
Very classic looking well done
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2020 at 9:57pm

I had my rear end painted.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/18449/199780D0-D541-4322-A7B1-99D092DCF470.jpeg

Here's Daryn's rear end:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2020 at 9:15pm
I had my rear end painted.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/18449/199780D0-D541-4322-A7B1-99D092DCF470.jpeg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic