NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

leak at fuel line where it enters carb

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leak at fuel line where it enters carb
    Posted: March-20-2019 at 9:23pm
Looking at this link...

is there a gasket between the line flare and the fuel bowl adapter? Or is the gasket between the adapter and the housing?

here
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2019 at 9:31pm
Adapter and carb.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2019 at 9:40pm
Thanks Pete! I knew you'd come through.

So if I have the right tools (1"carb wrench, 5/8 flare nut wrench) and grease the line flare, I should be able to tighten it up so it doesn't leak--right?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2019 at 9:44pm
One good link deserves another so look at the link and there's plenty of info   

link

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2019 at 9:46pm
Yes, but just grease between the flare nut and the steel tubing. Nothing on the flare itself. The grease simply prevents the "windup" of the tubing as the nut is tightened. Without the grease, the tubing has a tendency to "windup" and then unwind the adapter from the carb when you run the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2019 at 11:41pm

Got it together and THINK I have leak at connection OK, however I'm wondering if the gasket is in the adapter where it needs to be (I didn't rebuild it myself). But it is definitely leaking where the arrow is pointing.

I thought I read on a thread that TRB put jbweld on that spot to stop a leak, but I can't find it and it doesn't seem like the best idea. Do I need to replace that front bowl? And, if I'm going to replace the fuel line, does anyone recommend the USCG approved flexible line? It seems there is some disagreement about whether that's a good idea or not. I have a line wrench, but as you can see, the nut is a little bit damaged now.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2019 at 9:03am
Another link with some info.

Like mentioned in the link, epoxy works fine and there's a picture of what the plug looks like and the O ring that's leaking.

Or.............you can buy a new bowl

Nothing wrong at all with USCG approved flexible fuel line and it's easier to use.   A search will give plenty of info

link about plug

If you don't know if the gasket is where it should be, you didn't have things apart I guess, so you could take the connection apart and see if there's a gasket that falls out.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2019 at 11:57pm
Thanks everyone.

JB weld held on the plug. Got the line cinched up good...NO LEAKS! So I'll be returning the flexible line when it arrives Monday.

I put the boat in the water today to give it a run after carb rebuild, and new drive shaft (and of course repacked rudder) and alignment. Everything smooth as silk now!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic