NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Painting engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2019 at 10:41am
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

]
For now just wanted to crank engine to check out rebuilt carb. I'll get my neighbor over he understands the ohm thing.
Thanks

John,
An alternate to resistance is to check voltage in and out of the ballast resistor.

If you get your neighbor over, have him give you some pointers on using the VOM. Voltage and resistance testing is a great method of troubleshooting problems. If you don't have a VOM, I suggest getting one. A basic one is around $20 plus you can use it on the car and even the house.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2019 at 1:04pm
Now I'm really cornfused.

I have the MSD coil and directions say to add a 0.8 ohm resister. I read up on the electronic ignition conversion kit and it says to use a 1.4 ohm ballast resister.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2019 at 6:55pm
The ignition tech said the MSD wouldn't work with there conversion so I guess I need to just go get a standard coil.
Thanks
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2019 at 3:22pm
Hey All,
Need a pic of how the coil is mounted on engine 83 PCM. Actually the mount also. I checked my 79 but it is on the opposite side, manifolds don't look the same.
Thanks
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2019 at 12:17am
Never mind the pic I made a mount.
Next question---
Where can I get the Alt.& RWP belt replacements? Shipping is twice as much as the belts, surely they can be bought at a parts place....
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2019 at 12:55am
These are the Dayco numbers from my 80's vintage PCM 15400 (11A1015) and 15455 (11A1155). Don't know which one is which but maybe you can cross reference them to any belt at a parts store. If you can wait til sometime tomorrow I can uncover it and maybe see which belt goes to what and the alternator pulley diameter to see if your new one is the same size.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2019 at 1:46pm
Got it and got them.
Thanks
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2019 at 7:22pm
Here we go again with the dumb questions...
I ordered a set of Sierra Marine plug wires and didn't think about the distributor end. Anyhow I have to return and the customer service said all they have is non marine. Is there a difference in marine and standard plug wires?

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2019 at 4:23pm
I am not aware of any Marine special plug wires. I always buy high quality wires.
Napa sells Powerpath, used to be made by Belden Wire. Very good wires.
Standard ignition purchased Belden so a premium Standard Ignition set would be high quality also. These would offer long life, great spark transfer and limit any sparks emitting from the wires to a ground which could be very bad in a boat situation with a covered engine.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2019 at 5:06pm
The only marine thing I can think of is that with the marine exhausts in place the normal method of running the wires from the distributor over the valve covers to the plugs are blocked. PCM chose to use longer wires and running them down in front of the valve covers then up to the plugs. So a set for a car or truck might not be long enough. You could then make your own or just buy a set ready to plug and play. link
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2019 at 6:21pm
I found a set of marine wires at Summit Racing-www.summitracing.com/parts/rra-18-8842-1
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2019 at 7:20pm

I found a set of marine wires at Summit Racing-www.summitracing.com/parts/rra-18-8842-1

John,
My concern was the same as Gary's with the set being too short but, per the comment in the listing, someone has used them by routing under the manifolds.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2019 at 7:36pm
✔️
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2019 at 3:28am
Ya'll run out of paint yet? I know its still too cold to spray paint up north that lacquer you guys like
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2019 at 7:13pm
Here is another non paint question
When I removed all the spark plug wires from engine forgot to mark (actually I did, but it faded-duh).
Will they be the same as on my 79 351?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2019 at 10:26pm

Here is another non paint question
When I removed all the spark plug wires from engine forgot to mark (actually I did, but it faded-duh).
Will they be the same as on my 79 351?

If you're asking if the firing order is the same, it is but...............you need to determine which terminal on the cap is #1 by finding where the rotor is pointing when #1 cylinder is at top dead center on the compression stroke (you may have to rotate the body so that the rotor lines up with a terminal) and that will be the #1 plug wire , then you go Counter clockwise around the cap with the reverse rotation firing order 1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3

You'll need to check and adjust the timing after it's running.

This is the short, not too wordy version   

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2019 at 11:07pm
Thanks I just about got the wiring harness rebuilt and new alternator should be here tomorrow.
Next get plugs, wires and points set and maybe try and start it-not sure about my carb rebuild

Boat still at Glas shop, this guy is super slow but makes sure things are right; so not rushing him
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2019 at 9:39pm
She runs--Well she turns over
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2019 at 9:27pm
Well I got her cranked and short run (no water); but noticed coil was hot. Is that normal or could it be I left the key on.....
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2019 at 10:20pm
I'll vote for key left on without the engine running.

If the points are closed and the key is on without the engine running you have a direct path to ground and the coil heats up.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2019 at 11:52am
No water. Is it ok to do that. Thought my Sherwood would melt impeller???
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2019 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

No water. Is it ok to do that. Thought my Sherwood would melt impeller???

Pump is not hooked up, just running enough to make sure it will run when I put it in boat.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2019 at 12:34pm
Oh I get it now. Wonder if I could take belt off for timing points etc for one minute
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2019 at 12:50pm
You can also hook a water hose to the inlet. I hook mine into the transmission water cooler. Gonna set that up later today so I can check for water leaks.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2019 at 7:37pm
Install a Timmy T, you can hook up a garden hose in seconds and fire it up safely.
Read up on the Timmy T on this forum. Tim Provided a good how to.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2019 at 8:57pm
Timmy T:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Lisa,
David's suggestion is a good one since you can do some diagnosing on the trailer BUT, make sure you also take his suggestion with utilizing the Timmy Tee method of supplying water. The danger with using a direct garden hose connection is the water pressure from the hose will mask cooling system problems. The Timmy Tee being an open system allows the RWP to suck what it needs without adding any water pressure. Also be aware of the Perko Flush Pro as it too pressurizes the system masking system problem. Besides, it's a plastic piece of junk anyway!!

Here's a thread with some info on the Timmy Tee.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2019 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

[QUOTE=jterr]

That's how your's should be hooked up. Suction on the bottom, discharge on the top and the screw head pointing outboard.

See pic (not my engine) of direction of my motor, how can it pump water in the direction of red arrow in top pic????
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2019 at 9:44pm

See pic (not my engine) of direction of my motor, how can it pump water in the direction of red arrow in top pic????

How a flexable impeller pump works. It is NOT a centrifugal pump!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2019 at 9:01am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

How a flexable impeller pump works. It is NOT a centrifugal pump!!!

And this means that the picture is right
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2019 at 10:14am
Didn't understand how it could work but the video shows it all. I thought for a minute I had a engine running backwards
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic