NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Painting engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2019 at 12:27am
ok so no need to remove oil pump?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2019 at 9:18am
It seems that this question has multiple answers like most of the ones you've asked.

One answer might be "not necessary, leave it alone

Another might be "the pan is off and the pump is staring you in the face, why not replace it now?"

If you were to replace it, don't get a high volume oil pump for a couple of reasons

One reason is that it's not needed

Another is that it won't fit under a stock PCM 351 oil pan. It'll contact the pan before the pan is seated on the block. making it kinda hard to bolt the pan on

That's for a Melling Hi volume pump

Also a 1 piece oil pan gasket makes life so much easier than the typical 4 piece.

They're pricier but they work great.

One example would be FelPro OS30214T for your 351W.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2019 at 11:10am
This is the one I got hope it will fit -- Fel-Pro Marine Oil Pan Gaskets SFL17998

It said to use some kind of sealant , any suggestions

Think I will leave the oil pump as is
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2019 at 8:38pm
I've always put their Perma Dry or Perma Dry Plus gaskets like this one on ....................dry and not had any leaks.

Most all of their literature for these type gaskets say dry with no sealant, maybe yours says something different.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2019 at 8:56pm
I have used a tacky stuff that just held the gasket in place during assembly.

One less thing to trip you up during assembly.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2019 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Most all of their literature for these type gaskets say dry with no sealant, maybe yours says something different.

It said if the oil pan was flat no sealant, but if it had the raised ends may use in the corners. I will read again as it is up at barn.
Thanks
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2019 at 10:05pm
I have seen somewhere, Summit? that you need to use RTV in the corners where the pan and mains meet.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2019 at 9:37am
I've seen somewhere where it says to install the Permadry and Permadry plus clean and dry.

Here it is in the link

First time I used one I was a little skeptical but it fit so good I put it on dry and it doesn't leak

Then again, there are usually more than one way to do things and have it work so a little where the curve meets the flat part is up to you.

FelPro gives you the sealer with the gasket when they want you to use some typically. Just a small tube

link

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2019 at 10:02am
Here are JT's installation instructions for his Permadry gasket.

They may be in the barn but they're on the computer too   

Looks like a little RTV on the block side of the gasket only at the 4 joints

link
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2019 at 2:22pm

FelPro gives you the sealer with the gasket when they want you to use some typically. Just a small tube

link

None in my package...
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2019 at 2:31pm
A little more reading in the link.

They can tend to be the masters of confusion with all of their directions/information. that at times contradict each other

link

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2019 at 1:51pm
Good thing I checked under the oil pan as the screen was pretty gummed up with sludge. Took it off and cleaned.

Next question can I run Synthetic oil in this engine??
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2019 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

Next question can I run Synthetic oil in this engine??

Yes, but the important thing is the level of ZDDP. There are several threads on oil and what is commonly used both regular and synthetic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2019 at 10:00pm
Ok ordered the VR1 and Fram filter.

Now so I don't start another thread could someone direct me to where to get the water hose replacements.
Is hoses from auto store ok?????

JT
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2019 at 10:08pm

Ok ordered the VR1 and Fram filter.

Now so I don't start another thread could someone direct me to where to get the water hose replacements.
Is hoses from auto store ok?????

JT

You done did it now JT, you said Fram and Pete's getting all worked up

Look in the Ski Dim catalog, you'll find whatever hoses you're looking for
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2019 at 10:23pm
Oh Cheezz-- On that form for filters it shows the Fram Xtended Guard XG8A on top of the list
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2019 at 10:27pm

Oh Cheezz-- On that form for filters it shows the Fram Xtended Guard XG8A on top of the list

And there's nothing at all wrong with using it
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2019 at 10:35pm

And there's nothing at all wrong with using it

Thank Goodness
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2019 at 2:35pm
Question Question Question---

On the water hoses does it matter if hard or soft (saw them on skidim)?

Before I put alternator back on want to make sure if PO got the right one even that it wasn't hooked up
This the type Palladium P7127M-3 rebuilt
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2019 at 3:29pm
John,
I'm wondering if you were looking at "soft" wall hose and then the wire reinforced sometimes referred to as "hard" wall typical of the larger exhaust hose? For cooling hose, the only place I would suggest the wire reinforced is the suction side of the RWP. You don't want it to collapse. Then all the other hoses for the cooling, the soft is fine. .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2019 at 7:00pm

Before I put alternator back on want to make sure if PO got the right one even that it wasn't hooked up
This the type Palladium P7127M-3 rebuilt

Of course not

It 's a rebuilt Delco that doesn't have any spark arrestor screens or sparkproofing of any kind.

You could post a picture from the front and the back just to be sure.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2019 at 7:12pm

It 's a rebuilt Delco that doesn't have any spark arrestor screens or sparkproofing of any kind.

John,
Yes, see if you can post a couple of pictures. I'm curious about the "M" in the part #.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2019 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
Yes, see if you can post a couple of pictures. I'm curious about the "M" in the part #.

Here's a link to a 7127m3 from your favorite parts emporium Pete

It's a Delco 10SI style alternator

The DL is for Duralast and the P on JT's is for Palladium which was an Advance Auto Parts brand that doesn't seem to be around any longer.

The 3 is the clocking position of the plug when viewed from the rear

A bazillion of them were made for plder GM vehicles

Definitely no screens on this and JT's pictures will tell if there are screens on his.

I figure in this case the "M" stands for maybe it might have screens since the same basic framework can have a screened front that's hard to see behind the fan and there is a cover with a screen assembly that can mount to the back. It doesn't mean marine just because there's an M in the number.

That's why a couple of pictures were requested just to be sure   

link

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2019 at 9:49pm
Be right back...
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2019 at 10:04pm
Here you go-

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2019 at 11:04pm
Well................... congrats JT

What you have there is a 100% pure automotive alternator

It's a 3 wire Delco that somebody wired to function like a 1 wire Delco. and did a fairly ugly job of it. The big orange output wire would normally be hooked to the threaded stud on the back that has the little jumper. The little jumper makes it function like a 1 wire alternator.

A marine version of that Delco would have a screened cover on the back like the picture below. It would also have screens behind the pulley/fan.

The picture shows the cover removed The one in the picture is a 1 wire marine alternator.

You can find the 1 wire marine alternator at a variety of electrical places on line like DB Electrical for 1 example. Many on EBAY also.

They're cheap, easy to hook up and reliable

A 3 wire has some advantages, but unless you're gonna be blasting tunes and running all kinds of electrical stuff the 1 wire will be just fine.

67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 11:12am
Just curious why do marine alts have screen.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 11:25am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Just curious why do marine alts have screen.

Because they spark inside! Not a good combination if there are gas fumes in the engine compartment/bilge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 11:39am
Here is more than you'll ever want to know

link
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 11:44am
I see, like a spark arrestor on a dirt bike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic