NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet dip stick

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

How about we meet at SJRR and put some real hours on your trailer queens

He'd look funny down there in his momogrammed long johns Gary

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

Couple of updates:

After I got fittings apart here is what I got-

Thanks
JT

Gee that looks just like my picture from the other day

Probably the only thing that might be needed is a new hose since that fitting looks pretty rusty but with a little time and effort I figure it would work just fine..
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Couple of updates:

After I got fittings apart here is what I got-

Thanks
JT

Gee that looks just like my picture from the other day

Probably the only thing that might be needed is a new hose since that fitting looks pretty rusty but with a little time and effort I figure it would work just fine..

Yea, I got to replace the "90 fitting" as I messed up the threads.
Are those special hoses are will a standard hydraulic hose work_I can have them made here in town??
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 12:57pm

Are those special hoses are will a standard hydraulic hose work_I can have them made here in town??

A standard hydraulic hose would be JIC 37 degrees so, do take the fitting with you to the hose shop for a match..

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 2:45pm
The Hydraulic shop will want to know what pressures and temperatures this hose will be subjected to.   I suspect pressures will be less than 300 PSI and temperatures less than 250 degree's F but that is my guess.   Maybe one of you have details?
If you don't know your pressures and temp needs they might sell you a hose that is over kill for your application as some hydraulic applications need to handle over 3,000 PSI.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

The Hydraulic shop will want to know what pressures and temperatures this hose will be subjected to.   I suspect pressures will be less than 300 PSI and temperatures less than 250 degree's F but that is my guess.   Maybe one of you have details?
If you don't know your pressures and temp needs they might sell you a hose that is over kill for your application as some hydraulic applications need to handle over 3,000 PSI.

Bear in mind that the trans fluid goes to a cooler that is make of copper (or brass) and it is only capable of lower pressures. Kinda looks like a brass fitting. And it kinda looks like it only sealed up on the end of the angle. That leads me to think that in fact it was two different angles. Maybe enough torque and it seals up? Not the right thing to do but "maybe" it would work??   Don't jump on me to say it wont work, just my guess as to what may have happened.

Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

it kinda looks like it only sealed up on the end of the angle. That leads me to think that in fact it was two different angles. Maybe enough torque and it seals up? Not the right thing to do but "maybe" it would work??   Don't jump on me to say it wont work, just my guess as to what may have happened.

Duane,
Good eyes. Yes, to me it does look like they mixed up the 45's and 37's! Now Timmy boy wants me to call PCM and B/W but, who actually installs the trans and cooler? Is the engine marinizer buying the trans, fitting it on the engine and then sending it to the boat manufacturer? Or, is the boat manufacturer buying the engine and trans and combining the two? Considering that the paint matches, I'd be inclined to say it's the marinizer but does anyone know for sure?

John,
When you get to your hose shop, make sure you ask some questions regarding the 45's vs: the 37's and combining the two at one assembly.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 5:19pm
For ones that don't understand any of this, like me-
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 9:27pm
After going all over town searching for above parts, I did get the 90 degree , but found out I messed up the threads on this

and can't find one with threads all the way through .
Suggestions
JT
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 9:47pm
John,
You'll need to purchase a 3/8" pipe tape and make one yourself. With the tap, it's possible you could even clean up the threads on the old one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
You'll need to purchase a 3/8" pipe tape and make one yourself. With the tap, it's possible you could even clean up the threads on the old one.

I thought of that , but can't find a thread fixer...

Maybe Harbor Freight
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 10:13pm

John,
You'll need to purchase a 3/8" pipe tap

Look on Ebay for a tap.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 11:07pm

For ones that don't understand any of this, like me-

And for a comparison of a JIC 37 degree fitting on the left and a SAE 45 degree fitting on the right here's a picture. You can see the different tapers pretty easily

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 11:19pm
And since I had one of each fitting in my hands, I built a little rig and screwed a B/W trans cooler hose onto each fitting and pressurized each fitting to 150 pounds to do a little real life testing.

Neither one leaked, but the 45 degree SAE fitting had about 50 % more sealing area when I checked the seating surfaces with some prussian blue.

What's all this mean to me?

It means PCM did it right in spite of what Pete might seem to think.

Which means the 45 degree SAE fittings are just fine with the original equipment hoses or if for whatever reason you want JIC 37 degree fittings they'll work too with the original hoses.

You might keep in mind that you can find all kinds of info saying that the 2 different fittings are incompatible.....................but they both sealed in this situation..

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 11:30pm

John,

Maybe Harbor Freight

Maybe the same store you bought the fitting at.

Most any hardware store should have the right tap to clean those threads up.

And.............if you screw it up you can get that bushing at the link below. It's fairly expensive but tthat's probably because it's threaded on both ends. One end for the external fitting and the other for the return pipe

link
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2019 at 11:59pm
I'll keep looking around, most everyone has but not big enough.

Thanks
JT
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Still cold out I see

4 pages of good reading....nuthin' good on the tv so this filled a little time.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 7:45am

And since I had one of each fitting in my hands, I built a little rig and screwed a B/W trans cooler hose onto each fitting and pressurized each fitting to 150 pounds

Neither one leaked, but the 45 degree SAE fitting had about 50 % more sealing area when I checked the seating surfaces with some prussian blue.

What's all this mean to me?

It means PCM did it right in spite of Pete might seem to think.

Ken,
Nice test and thanks. Did you use matching 45 and 37 female hose ends or did you use PCM's 45 on each? That's what started the discussion that the female and males have to match hence the concern. BTW, it's really not my concern nor what I think but some group of engineers called SAE International

John,
When you get to your hose shop, make sure you ask some questions regarding the 45's vs: the 37's and combining the two at one assembly.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 8:16am
It was the same hose from a B/W transmisssion cooler with a PCM part number. on it.

Screwed that hose on to each fitting and tested. Both fittings were brand new

Used a little prussian blue to see how they were seating and they both seated pretty well but in slightly different spots on the taper.

It seems to be your concern that you think PCM or B/W or whoever used mismatched fittings like you said earlier.

You really should remove your hoses and fittings that have lasted so many years with no leaks and replace them all with 37 degree JIC fittings and new hoses to go with them just to satisfy yourself.   

I'll stick with the original stuff.

Kinda ironic, me telling "Mr Original" that I'll stick with the original parts.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 8:32am

It was the same hose from a B/W transmisssion cooler with a PCM part number. on it.

Since you used the same hose on both fittings, the test is irrelevant. Is the female fitting on the hose a 45 or a 37? Since you got more contact area on the 45 male fitting, I'd say the hose end was also a 45. Only a back yard hack would mismatch fittings!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 8:40am

Since you used the same hose on both fittings, the test is irrelevant. Is the female fitting on the hose a 45 or a 37? Since you got more contact area on the 45 male fitting, I'd say the hose end was also a 45. Only a back yard hack would mismatch fittings!

You're the one questioning the hose, you figure it out

And explain the irrelevant test while you're at it

Let's go back in the thread and see who started saying that the fittings were mismatched from the factory..........somebody named YOU.   

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 8:49am

You're the one questioning the hose, you figure it out

And explain the irrelevant test while you're at it

Let's go back in the thread and see who started saying that the fittings were mismatched from the factory..........somebody named YOU.   

Yes, I started the discussion out of concern of using proper fittings ether 45's or 37's then you continued with your irrelevant "test" using mismatched fittings. What needs to be explained?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 8:57am

I went to Lowes and found what I think is the same brass fittings,

John,
I highly doubt the Lowes fitting is correct. What you most likely got was a 45 degree flare fitting typically used on soft copper pipe for low pressure. JIC fittings or 37 degree and meant for high pressure. McMaster has them.

Well, this statement right here might be a good one to explain, since the transmission came with 45 degree SAE fittings and matching hose.

Do you remember saying that you never looked at the fittings on your transmission?

I guess you just assumed they would use 37 degree JIC fittings without really knowing what you were talking about

And the mismatched fittings test was to see what would happen if you screwed the PCM hose on to a JIC fitting.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 9:06am
Who really gives a rats @ss what they are if they don't leak in this low pressure situation??
Is an ACBS judge going to deduct points?? How would they determine what was original and how could they tell the angle?? If they had any common sense then they would not even be concerned. Same as another on here should be --unconcerned.
Gosh I hope Spring shows up early this year.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 9:22am
'Bout time you showed up again Duane

Just trying to keep Pete's bum dope under control. You know how that can be.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 9:44am

I guess you just assumed they would use 37 degree JIC fittings without really knowing what you were talking about

And the mismatched fittings test was to see what would happen if you screwed the PCM hose on to a JIC fitting.

Ken,
You are correct that I did not know what fittings were used by PCM.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Who really gives a rats @ss what they are if they don't leak in this low pressure situation??
Is an ACBS judge going to deduct points?? How would they determine what was original and how could they tell the angle?? If they had any common sense then they would not even be concerned. Same as another on here should be --unconcerned.
Gosh I hope Spring shows up early this year.

Duane,
Get over the ACBS issue. They are a great organization that you obviously love to repeatedly slam. Why? What do you really have against them?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 2:01pm
Other than Pete who really cares what the ACBS thinks? It seems to me like Pete has. Museum and he is the curator. These boats are meant to be used and enjoyed not stored in perpetuaty. When you're putting less than 10 hours per year on a boat it's ridiculous but given the desire to live in the great white north somewhat understandable.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

Other than Pete who really cares what the ACBS thinks? It seems to me like Pete has. Museum and he is the curator. These boats are meant to be used and enjoyed not stored in perpetuaty. When you're putting less than 10 hours per year on a boat it's ridiculous but given the desire to live in the great white north somewhat understandable.

David,
There are over 11,000 people that do care about the ACBS. Yes, not too many here on CCfan but there are others like Alan who, like myself appreciate the organization. All of the members boats are not what you may consider show quality and are daily drivers or like myself have both. As an example, I really wouldn't consider placing my Tique in a judged show. That is my daily driver and is used as such. You are correct that, I don't get the hours in on it like some do in the southern states. Have you ever heard of the state with 10,000 lakes? How about the Three Lakes/Eagle River chain I'm on. It happens to be the worlds largest inland chain of lakes. Lots of water for boating!! FYI, there is a ACBS class for boats built up to 1995 and they do not have to be made of wood.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2019 at 4:00pm
It's the CCF reunion's boat show that counts anyway!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic