Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Atom / Compact Skier Items

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
79Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atom / Compact Skier Items
    Posted: February-21-2019 at 12:01pm
I have a 61 Compact Skier that needs a new windshield and steering wheel.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2019 at 12:35pm
Kevin,
The windshield is going to be tough to find.

Is yours missing? Broken? Hazed?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2019 at 1:35pm
Taylor will custom make a windshield for you. It's not listed on their website as a service but email their customer support at tms@taylormadesystems.com. Ask them for their spec sheet on available sizes. there are 2 styles and several sizes . I used to have that info but can't seem to find it right now. If I recall correctly it will be about $600 for a complete windshield.
79Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2019 at 10:37am
My current windshield is hazed and cracked. If i cant find an original i will talk to Taylor, Thanks for the info.
Thomasn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 1:01pm
I have the same boat as yours, I had a 5 in crack in the center bottom and took it to a shop and had it reglued back to original strong. He also gave me a tube of buffing stuff, [i will get you the name when I get out to shop next time]. He said it will buff out to look like new, But I have not applied it yet, to busy trying to get it running . But if you want more info, I will buff a small part and see if it works for US both...
I was thumbing thru cris craft parts flyer and notice the same steering wheel is available, but not priced in the add. I have that flyer in the shop also if you are interested,
T
Thomasn
79Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 1:08pm
Well that's promising to know that a shop can glue the windshield to keep the crack from growing. Yes, if you get a chance, send me the name of the buffing compound. Is the Flyer a recent document or old material? I'm afraid the reason the price is not listed is because it's way too high.
Thanks for the info.
Thomasn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 1:28pm
I will get out to the shop this afternoon and get back to you. The flyer was sent as per my request 2 weeks ago, I will get you all the info.
Your price guess is more than likely true, that sites product were NOT cheap, but at least it is good to know they are available
t
Thomasn
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Thomasn Thomasn wrote:

I was thumbing thru cris craft parts flyer and notice the same steering wheel is available, but not priced in the add. I have that flyer in the shop also if you are interested,
T

Thomasn,Just in case you don't know, the helm wheel is not a Chris Craft part.
The Sheller wheel (and the column and steering box) was used frequently by many boat builders after the war. They were plentiful since they were war surplus. If you do need a new helm wheel, I suggest searching on Ebay or similar rather than a Chris site. Also, they are very easily repaired. The common fault is spoke cracking at the hub. The cracks are epoxy filled and then the wheel is painted. I've done several.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Thomasn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 8:52pm
OK thank you, all good info so I guess that takes that one out of the equasion.
Thomasn
Thomasn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 9:04pm

I will get out to the shop this afternoon and get back to you. The flyer was sent as per my request 2 weeks ago, I will get you all the info.
Your price guess is more than likely true, that sites product were NOT cheap, but at least it is good to know they are available
t

OK, I found that buffing compound and it is called [FLITZ]. I got busy stripping varnish and havent tried it yet. He just told me to use low rpm and buff lightly basically guaranteed it would clear up the cloudiness. I am going on 80 yrs and run out of gas easy or I would have spent the time I should have to help you out, and I forgot it untill I got in the house..
Sorry bout that.
Thomasn
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 9:07pm

Sorry but what's "out of the equation"? Do you need a helm wheel and if so looking for one?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Thomasn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 9:13pm
Sorry, I dont need one. I was just trying to help 79Monk find one.
I am certain he will appreciate your help on the matter
Thank you
T
Thomasn
Thomasn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 9:27pm

Thank for posting the Sheller site, very good information
I can see you are very much aware of these problems, and while we at on subject, I would like to know what and how to service the throttle control on the wheel. I have not gotten under the panel to look yet and not sure what to look for. Is the button in center for the horn? and if so how does it come apart short of prying it off?
Thanks in advance
T
Thomasn
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 9:36pm
Thomasn,
At the bottom of the steering column, there's linkage consisting of ball joints. They could use some oil at times. The ball joints and linkage go all the way back to the carb. Also at the bottom is a nut that holds the center tube that connects to the horn button. Remove the nut and the complete tube will slide up and out. The horn button is the ground source for the horn. You will find a ground wire in the center of the tube. There also should be a horn relay since the button (switch) can't handle the amps of the horn.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Thomasn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2019 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Thomasn,
At the bottom of the steering column, there's linkage consisting of ball joints. They could use some oil at times. The ball joints and linkage go all the way back to the carb. Also at the bottom is a nut that holds the center tube that connects to the horn button. Remove the nut and the complete tube will slide up and out. The horn button is the ground source for the horn. You will find a ground wire in the center of the tube. There also should be a horn relay since the button (switch) can't handle the amps of the horn.
hre.
WOW, and I just got to tell you how glad I am to be onboard with this forum. I had absolutely NO IDEA of how that worked, and thank you VERY MUCH.
I will copy this response before attemping this so called little project so I can refer to it while I am under there.
Thank you very Much..
T
Thomasn
79Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2019 at 10:36am
Thomasn and 8122pbrainard, thank you both for helping out. I did a quick look online for used Sheller wheels and that will be a perfect fit for this project. I will also, try FLITZ on the windshield to see if it helps with the haze.

Again, thanks for the info.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic