NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hi speed issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hi speed issues
    Posted: February-15-2019 at 2:23pm
Hi there!

So i´m back!!!

last year ny october i experienced some issues with the boat, i would bog while when going to plane...by then I open the front and rear bowls and found some gunk.
Cleaned and boat worked ok again...
Now im with other issue, boat runs fine for cruising around, pulling the kids on wakeboard (no ballast) and tubing (yeah tubing might be the problems, jokes aside)....
But above 3500 rpm it will bog, then catch up, bog, back fires etc...
wot, it starts to catch up, the it bogs again...
it started mild and now it has increased so i need to take hands asap...
I´m almost sure its fuel related, as below the speed boat runs fine...
Fuel pump is almost 10 years old, that and bad fuel might be a reason...
I will check again the carb for debris.
also the anti syphon valve...
Other hints?

I need to have this fix now lol! I´m hosting Landen Ehlers this weekend!

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2019 at 3:06pm
Put a fuel pressure gauge on the pump to carb line (may need to go rubber for testing purposes).

Monitor the pressure at speed and see if it drops. Sounds like fuel supply is compromised enough to be lacking at higher RPM/throttle requirements.

Also, some carbs have a little brass fuel screen on the inlet. Those tend to get plugged badly when compared to the normal style screen. This symptom would retain fuel pressure but also cause the bowls to run low at speed.

Another easy test, put a friend in the boat with you and have the motor box up or off. When the bogging starts to happen manually push the accelerator pump arm. If it clears up then the engine is for sure starving for fuel.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2019 at 3:06pm
oops looks like this one belongs to engine repair...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2019 at 3:38pm
Yeah sounds like textbook fuel starvation issue

i concur, start with AS valve, if that's clean, sometimes there is a conical screen sandwiched in the pick-up tube to elbow fitting , then work downstream
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic