NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Soon to be 79 Ski Nautique Owner

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Farkum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farkum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soon to be 79 Ski Nautique Owner
    Posted: June-10-2004 at 11:22pm
I just sold my 86 Dyna Trak because I decided it was time for a ski boat. I found a 1979 Ski Nautique. The interior was completely refinished 4 years ago. In the last 10 years there has been 20 hours put on the boat making a total of 780 hours total. He said that he couldnt start the boat because he thought there was an electrical problem. I went over hot wired it in back and it started after 5 crank with a little help from starting fluid. Mechanically the boat is in amazing condition. The electrical problem that he thought was a bad wire I found was the neutral switch in the transmission. I figure I can fix that pretty easily. The other problem with the boat is there is some slight stress cracking in the paint. Purely cosmetic but to have it fixed and repainted its another 1000. If anyone in the minnesota area has repainted a boat before I would love some pointers on that. I am more into mechanical stuff but I do have a paint booth and all of the spray guns so if I get someone who knows what they are doing to help I should be able to fix all the stress cracking. All in all I believe I am getting a pretty good deal on it for $3000 with a trailer. The trailer does need paint but it is an original CC trailer with an extension built for shallow landings. The trailer does need painting as well but I know how to do metal and it will be done this winter.
Farkum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farkum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2004 at 11:30pm
I forot to ask one other thing. I will be running on clearwater lake in minnesota. It is a little bit larger lake but very complex, if you dont know the lake it would be very easy to get in trouble and run into a sand bar. I heard that the 79 nautiques had three fins in front and if one of them got tweaked at all it could cause some major control problems with the boat. Is that true? If it does get a little bent or something could I have a major control problem or will I make it home?
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2004 at 3:08am
You shouldn't have trouble making it home. I think I'd buy a depthfinder ASAP. a bent fin is a prolem. Tearing out the prop shaft and rudder is a tragedy. Is it painted or is the gelcoat faded If its gelcoat wet sanding should bring it back to as good as new. Congrats on the new boat
Farkum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farkum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2004 at 10:10am
It is still the original Gelcoat. The only problem is the hairline cracks in the gelcoat. It would be kinda nice to fix those but if I can get it shiny again just by wetsanding I am certainly giong to live with the cracks because they arent really noticable and definatly not anything more than cosmetic.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2004 at 5:32pm
See tryan's post on wetsanding and also on the cracks. Have fun.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic