NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Making lake ice

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making lake ice
    Posted: January-25-2019 at 7:57am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2019 at 9:04am
UGG!
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2019 at 9:27am
Makes our cold snap here in Florida look fine. 47. Will warm to a cool 65-68. No ice.
Js
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2019 at 10:45am
I can’t believe that I picked the next eight days to go snowmobiling in northern Wisconsin And Minnesota. We are in Presque Isle this morning and it’s -15 .
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2019 at 12:13pm
Well Martin, at least it's not like the early days of riding. Now with the high tech clothing and electrically heated everything, it's like taking a ride in summer!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2019 at 12:41pm
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2019 at 4:10pm
Lots of fishing coming up...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2019 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Well Martin, at least it's not like the early days of riding. Now with the high tech clothing and electrically heated everything, it's like taking a ride in summer!   

I'll say. Back then it even took a special sled to run with these. Spent alot of time out there can't even imagine it anymore. The winter of 69-70 had the most traffic,when the ice finally left there was a sheen of oil on the water from all the 2 strokes out there.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2019 at 11:14am
Now we're making some real good lake ice. I'm at -27 with no wind chill.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2019 at 12:23pm
89 degree difference between us and were on the cool side.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2019 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Now we're making some real good lake ice. I'm at -27 with no wind chill.

We managed to put 100 miles on yesterday Pete. Was a balmy -4 when we got back to the cabin.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2019 at 10:17pm
Too frigid for this Kansas boy - I don't care for the 15 to 35 that we have here !
I'd be much happier with Arizona weather all year   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 8:44pm
Pete

With your forecast for the next few days, you need to do something useful like mix up some of that pink minus 50 antifreeze in a couple of different batches like a 50% water to 50% antifreeze mix and another one with a 25% water to 75% antifreeze mix.

Fill a couple of glass jars stick them outdoors and see if the jars are still in one piece in the morning.

No need to sit outdoors watching them all night Gary might think differently though
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 9:08pm
Ken,
I'm out of anti so I'll pick up some at work tomorrow. Tomorrow night would be a better test anyway since they are predicting the temp tonight to only drop to -28. Tomorrow the prediction is -31.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 9:12pm
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 9:45pm
It's all relative - I had to wear long pants to go to lunch in the boat today.......
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

It's all relative - I had to wear long pants to go to lunch in the boat today.......

Are we going to have to go through this again?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2019 at 10:05pm
I can't win - When I wear my Thomas Magnum short shorts everyone yells too
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 1:46am
Dang Pete, that is wicked cold, my son has a home in North Pole Alaska and it is warmer than you are seeing!   I saw the temp dip just a bit below 50 here and I am cold. You guys must be frozen.   Stay warm, you know we are in global warming so your record temps are not real.   Just pretend you are warm!   
Hope you stay safe, the body is not meant to survive at those temps.
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 9:54am

Checked the 2 gallons of -50 AF in the garage. Slushy but not bulging the bottle yet. Only -15 in the garage so I set one outside to see what -30 does to it.

Keep warm Pete.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 10:03am
Put it in a small glass container that won't bulge.and fill it all the way

And mix it in the ratios like mentioned above

It looks like it's 49 degrees indoors on your thermometer, better throw a few more logs on the fire
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 10:37am
I don't how y'all do it.... That's just too friggin cold for this Georgia Boy. When it's that cold out do y'all still put a lamp under the engine cover to "warm" it up a bit to keep the antifreeze from freezing? I acquired a marine engine compartment heater that I put under Miss Scarletts bra as temps in the 19F might chill down the garage to below freezing and yes she still has lake water in her veins...

Stay warm you guys....
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I don't how y'all do it.... That's just too friggin cold for this Georgia Boy. When it's that cold out do y'all still put a lamp under the engine cover to "warm" it up a bit to keep the antifreeze from freezing? I acquired a marine engine compartment heater that I put under Miss Scarletts bra as temps in the 19F might chill down the garage to below freezing and yes she still has lake water in her veins...

Stay warm you guys....

No, some of us just worry about cheaping out on the -50 anti freeze and not splurging on the -100 stuff.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 11:27am
-25F here in Iowa @ 7AM

My house was creaking last night from contraction & (I assume) nails pulling loose.

Furnace did not run 100% so I have extra capacity left.

The high today is supposed to be -18F.

Will be a good test for the car battery!

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 11:49am
We are not nearly as cold here, -16 supposed to reach a high of at least 4! outside chance of getting all the way up to 6! Global warming will be here this weekend as the forecasters are calling for 45-50. I am patiently waiting for the results of Pete's experiment.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 1:21pm
Mail delivery halted today, as well as all city buildings closed.

Cabin fever coming on already!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 9:19pm
Mail halted today and tomorrow here in Michigan. Had a little hop to my skip while walking in the woods today enjoying the scenery.
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2019 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Pete
With your forecast for the next few days, you need to do something useful like mix up some of that pink minus 50 antifreeze in a couple of different batches like a 50% water to 50% antifreeze mix and another one with a 25% water to 75% antifreeze mix.

Not diluted, 50-50 and 75-25 are out in the cold. We'll see what happens. I did not use glass but rather 3 4" sections of copper pipe. I thought of the copper the last couple days working in the plumbing dept. at the HD. I had plenty of customers come in needing supplies to fix their busted water lines!    We are also out of stock on heat tapes!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 11:34am
I've been thinking about you Pete and wondering how you are surviving that crazy cold weather up there. Sounds brutal.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2019 at 12:09pm
How does the lesbomobile handle the bitter cold?

I hand to manually pull the ignition switch back to run from start and then felt like I was driving on square tires at -25 this morning.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic