NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001 Super Air Nautique Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Brit_hunsicker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 3:36pm
So I used the boat 2016 and 2017 as it was. The time now is December 2017.

Time to do a major ballast upgrade and a few other goodies.

The first box of goodies

What a pain to get to! Trying to track down the reason the heater was unhooked when I bought the boat.

Well that was easy. I was preparing to have to hook up the hose.

I would solder this back together, but there are several questionable spots on this heat exchanger, plus the other stem is loose also. Worth $109 for a new core and the reassurance I won’t have another leak!
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 4:54pm
Outstanding job start to finish!   Got to say, you've got more stones than I, getting out there on New Years Day (though there was a time in my youth ....)

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 5:09pm
Laying everything out trying to decide where I want to start first.

5 minutes in and I already got screwed.

Just hoping I can turn my luck around after the heater not working out in my favor.

Do yourself I favor and wear long sleeves when drilling holes. Fiberglass on the skin is not enjoyable and I know better than that too...nothing worse than going up an down an old worn out fiberglass ladder all day.

This was actually a very easy process and not quite as nerve racking as some might think when considering drilling holes in the bottom of your boat.

Figuring out the layout for 3 new ballast puppies

Mounted on the drivers side gunnel in the rear locker. I saw many people mount there pumps behind the rear seat but decided against that as they did not look like they would be fun to service while on the lake if needed and just a very tight fit all around. Plus my drivers side is always light on weight so it was an easy way to add about 30 lbs on that side of the boat.

Wanted to mount the switch panel in a discrete location and thought this was as good of places as any.

This works well and is nice and tucked away out of sight since I have a sub box/seat set up between this panel and the rear seat, with just enough room to get your hand back there from the driver seat to flip the switches.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 8:14pm
Decided I’’d go ahead and attempt fixing the old heat exchanger. Mind you when I bought the boat this was unhooked at the engine so I was really not sure what all was wrong with it. All I know is that the solder joint on both stems is no good. Can’’t be that hard to fix right? After all I had spent 5 days a week for the last 4 years on the end of a torch...lol

Well, moment of truth...

And this baby leaks like a sieve from all directions!

This most definitely didn’t get properly winterized at some point in its life span. I will for sure be taking extra precautions when winterizing after installing a new one. Plan was to call NP and exchange the unwrapped heat exchanger for the wrapped one, but thanks to “dudebro” over on PN...he informed me that Napa has a heat exchanger that is nearly identical to the original. Pics of Napa heat exchanger will come.

Piping is coming along. Had to order some more fittings from WakeMakers because I didn’t realize the thread size on the 8.3 bags I have are 1” instead of 3/4” like the fly high bag I have in the center locker.

New chrome thru hull fittings all around the boat. Really gives it an updated look!

Took this picture mainly so I would know my Humminbird gauges are 2.5”. My water temp sensor is not working and was planning on just replacing the sensor. As I have seen online it doesn’t look like that will be an option since Humminbird is no longer around and most people are switching to Faria with the depth/temp sensor bundled into one. I was considering updated to the Faria unit, but you’ll see later on in this thread what I did instead.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 8:37pm
Timeline is December 29th 2017 now...

Reached my goal of finishing the ballast before the new year, as we have a standing tradition of riding on New Year’s Day here in Kansas. Unfortunately that won’t be happening this year as we’’ve had a harsh cold streak that froze the lakes over. Last year we rode the river because it was clear and the lakes were frozen, but last year the high on New Year’s Day was about 40 whereas this year the high is 8 with wind chills staying below zero all day. But I met my deadline and that’s what counts!

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 1:34am
Trimmed the Napa heater core to fit the original housing. Here is the link to it from Napa.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NHS6603100

So I had a great time working on my Air/Water temp unit. I was set on fixing rather than replacing. My original problem was that the water sensor always read about 40 degrees low. I knew it had to be a bad sensor...and they do not make this unit anymore, nor could I find any old replacement parts for sale. I took a gamble and ordered the linked sensor in hopes it had the same ohm output.
https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/sensor-lake-water-temperature-2003-05/
Once I received it, I cut the wires back at the water intake hose where the sensor goes, twisted the wires together and bingo, I had accurate readings. So my thought from here is I’’m gonna do this right and take this new wire lead all the way to the gauge so I have new wire run from the back of the boat to the cockpit. I cut the wires a few inches from the gauge and spliced. Nothing no power no nothing. Realized I cut the power wires. No worries I’’ll just splice them back together...did that and nothing. Now I’’m getting frustrated. So 2 hours later and enough cuss words to give Webster a new edition, I’’m at my wits end and I’’m prepared to destroy this gauge in the process of figuring out why it won’’t work. So I forced the rubber grommet out of the back of the gauge where the wires go in and out comes a molex plug with wires. Cool, they have a circuit board with molex plugs inside a sealed gauge. So I say screw it and cut a hole in the gauge, I mean what do I have to lose at this point? So long story short I cut a hole, got the plug pushed back in and spliced my wires at the intake hose where the sensor is. That’’s what I get for trying to do things the right way I guess.

On the search for some underwater lighting and there are several to chose from. Didn’’t want to go the drain plug light route so I decided to look around. I hadn’’t seen much on these Rigids but thought it’’s name brand so I felt like it was a safe bet for a quality product. I was intrigued with the raw lumen output of 9,000, even though I know it’s probably a stretch of some engineers imagination. I thought man even if they over projected the light by double, I’’d still be happy with 4,500 lumens. And for $300 I thought it seemed reasonably priced when compared with other popular lights. I will make sure I post feedback on several lakes of different clarity.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 6:41pm
Timeline is now February 2018...

Made it out on the water for a quick ride and ballast test. Decided it was a little light in the rear with only 400s in the rear lockers. I now have 650s in the rear lockers and fill them to maybe 500 or 550 on a normal day riding. I am able to fill all 3 bags at the same time and it takes me about 3 or 4 minutes to fill or empty. Much better than before where I had to individually fill each bag with a pump over the side of the boat. That took a good 20 minutes to fill or empty.

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 10:26am
Are you going to start a thread about the slant back you have there. I think it would be a good idea as you seem to have really good skills to fix boats and do the write ups with lots of pictures. Just sayin....
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Are you going to start a thread about the slant back you have there. I think it would be a good idea as you seem to have really good skills to fix boats and do the write ups with lots of pictures. Just sayin....

Actually, the slant back is not of my doing. It is a very nice boat that I was working on for a guy with a cabin on the lake I take care of. I joke around with him telling him the previous owner must have been a diehard Dolphins fan. That interior was redone shortly before he purchased and whoever did the work did an excellent job. They even restored the trailer too. I had the boat to do a full tune up and new muffler as the old muffler was leaking and had been patched several different times.

Glad everyone is liking my boat and the write up, I have one more update on this boat to post to get me up to current state for the time being. I think everyone will really like the next post
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 6:27pm

Carnac keeps having fuzzy visions of a boat covered in Seadek or something

I think Carnac has been lurking on PN myself   
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Carnac keeps having fuzzy visions of a boat covered in Seadek or something

I think Carnac has been lurking on PN myself   

there is a chance he’s onto something
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 7:08pm
Timeline is now April 2018...

Had debated doing the whole SeaDek thing for a couple years but dreaded having to make my own templates since SeaDek still didn’t have this boat in their files... I got bored one night and got on their website and did a search for dealers of SeaDek. I was taken by surprise to see one within 20 miles...actually within 5 miles of where I keep my boat! This happens to be the only fabricator in the Midwest. The company is DekDesigns in Topeka, KS. I showed them a couple pictures of some other boats I’d seen here and PN and showed them the areas I wanted done. Here is the finished product and I couldn’t be happier! Safe to say I have another big project coming on, cause now I need to do the floor!

2001 Super Air Nautique 210 SeaDek

Alright, I know I may catch some *************** for this one. There is a lot of skiers on this page. I really haven’t got anything on skiers, I actually enjoy hitting the course every now and then. My buddy and I just like to give his family crap because they always want to slalom ski and we both have wakeboard/surf boats. He has a G23 so even funnier from that aspect. Anyways, over the years we came up with the phrase and it stuck.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2019 at 10:27pm
Back at it again with my yearly project. This one not so big but I try to do at least one thing each off season. I am having the tower and windshield sandblasted and powder coated. Does it need it? Not really, but I do have a reason! I bought a set of 4 flight clips that I planned on powder coating black to match the tower. And of course I can’’t have racks that look better than the tower. And if I’’m doing the tower it will make my windshield look bad. I sound like I’m trying to convince the wife right? Ha luckily that’s not an issue. Anyways here are a some pics of the progress.

Before I started tearing things apart

Speakers and racks are gone

Upper portion of tower taken off

Base and windshield off

Going to have the windshield tinted again while it’’s out of the frame. No more slivers of clear around the edges!

I’’ve already dropped my tower of to a local fabricator to repair the burst that happened before I bought the boat. Apparently water got in the tower and froze. The fabricator will also be welding all holes from old bimini mounts shut and grinding to a smooth finish.
Parkinglot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parkinglot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 1:30pm
Very Nice Work Sir!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2019 at 10:53pm
Windshield has been tinted again and all frame pieces have been sand blasted and power coated.

These are 4 of the flight clips I purchased. Stripping them down and going to have them sand blasted and powder coated to match the tower.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2019 at 4:00am
Got some new decals for the windshield and stainless cup holders

Tower being repaired. Can’t believe how well the split looks after some welding and grinding

Freshly sandblasted

Did a coat of primer and then sanded in order to get a silky smooth finish. Aluminum was a little beat up after 20 years.

Just out of the oven after powder coat

Got the tower back on the boat. Wires run inside the tower now.

Got my flight clips blasted and powder coated. Topped it off with some custom SeaDek pads from Dek Designs. They have this template on file now if anyone is interested.

Bought some tubing and bungees from Menards. They seem to work fine right now. Not bad for $10.

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2019 at 11:37am
Wow, looks great. Did you use new weather stripping when working on the windshield.? If so did you get it at Nautique Parts?

The only thing I did differently on my tower project was I installed an anchor light on top. I also installed waterproof plugs in the exposed wires at the hinge so I could remove the top of the tower and not fold to go into a garage. Never had to do it yet, but wanted to have the ability.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2019 at 1:01pm
If you are talking about the rubber between the frame and windshield, I did not. I just washed it with warm water and it was still in good shape. I did replace the stripping between the frame and the gel coat, and yes, I got that from NP.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2019 at 2:33pm
Thanks,

I did replace the stripping between the frame and the gel coat, and yes, I got that from NP.

Yes, I need to do the same. Driving down the highway, on a trailer has pulled my stripping loose right above the air vent to send air to the dog house.

Your project looks great. At a fraction of the cost of a new tug boat.

Donald
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2019 at 2:34pm
Oh yes, forgot to say. Welcome to Team Red !!!!!!!!
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2019 at 12:45am
Awesome Job Brit !!   Everything looks great
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic