Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder Play

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
beardo73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beardo73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudder Play
    Posted: December-27-2018 at 12:10pm
Happy Holidays, all!

So, boat is in the heated garage, time for winter projects now that Christmas is over. When going over the boat, I noticed that there is some serious rudder play going on. I am 99% certain that nothing was hit this past season, but it just really seemed like there was a lot of play side to side. When I jumped into the boat and looked under the gas tank to see it from the inside, I am not sure what this should typically look like, but it almost looked like the metal plate holding everything together was seated into the fiberglass a bit. The nuts on the bolts of this plate are also pretty loose. I am apprehensive to tighten anything down as to not mess anything else up that may be going on (pulling metal plate through the fiberglass, cracking fiberglass, etc.). Does anyone have any insight as to what I am experiencing? I apologize now that I did not get video or pictures. I will work diligently to get this uploaded to help with diagnosis.

Other things to note:

Boat is an '88 Martinique B/R with a 454 PCM motor.

The boat did/does not take on additional water other than what is typical. Steering while in reverse in the boat was not great, but I believe that to be typical of direct drive boats. Forward steering seemed to be pretty good for the most part, but I did feel I could cut starboard side much better than port side. Lastly, I am new to this 'boat mechanic' stuff. So, please, be gently, lol. Also, the more English, the better. I will not know all the part names and stuff like that. I will upload pictures/videos to help.

Ultimate question:

1. What do I need to do to fix this?

Thank you guys for the help! Happy New Year, only 5-6 months till boating season in Western, PA!
1988 Correct Craft Martinique B/R, PCM 454, ~577 HRS.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 2:46pm
I don't know quite where to start, but let's just say loose nuts are never a good thing.

I'd try to tighten them up and if you're crushing fiberglass while doing it, that'll tell you something right there about the condition of your stringers

The stringers in the boat are older than you are and the chances of stringer rot are pretty good .

You may have good wood inside the fiberglass or you may have mush or something in between .30 years later, the wood is not gonna be as good as it once was and it's worth a check

There's also a ball and socket setup on the steering cable clamp block that wears with age that you should inspect.

One thing to keep in mind is that a little slop at the stringer mounting point or between the ball and socket translates into a lot more slop at the rudder.

You can also check where the cable hooks to the tiller arm for any slop there. A little slop there also translates to more slop in rudder movement

Lots of places to get slop, but since you mentioned the loose mounting to the stringer that's a good place to start
beardo73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beardo73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 3:06pm
Loose nuts are never good. Glad that I've gotten most of mine tightened down since college. Now, to just get the boat figured out. Lol.

Thank you for the heads up on that! I hate hearing (reading) the 's' word... but, with a boat that surpasses my age -- I'm certain it is only a matter of time. The floors are very solid in the boat, and the motor mounts are all in good shape-- but, I have seen instances where the damage is pretty concentrated to a particular area.

The good news is that the latter parts you described are all snug as they should be. From what I can tell, all of the play is coming from that base plate. Your explanation of "a little wiggle here can exacerbate the situation down the rudder." Which I can say is entirely true. The base plate moves about 1/4" up and down inside the boat, but when moving the rudder, it appears to be moving 1" to 2" side to side.

I'll work on getting those tightened down and see where we are after that point. Hopefully we have some good wood under there to tighten this up and move right along!

Thanks again!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 3:19pm
Kinda popped into my head after the post but does your clamp block mount to a stringer or maybe to a piece of angle aluminum that bolts to the hull with the same nuts/bolts that hold the strut in place?

I was assuming it bolted to a stringer but you know what happens when you assume.
beardo73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beardo73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 3:27pm
I tried to hang with you on this one.... but... I am lost. Lol. I am thinking that pictures *might* help with this one, but not entirely sure.

I am not even sure that there is even a spot to get under the layer that I can see to figure that out 100%. In my own engineering, the angled metal option makes much more sense to me. I am not sure how they would invert the bolt, have it secured to a stringer, get that through the floor to attach all of these dingy's, and then screw the nuts down... I am no engineer and they make some pretty amazing things out there, but, the angled iron under the layer of fiberglass does make some more sense to me.

I will keep you posted. I might need to make a stop tonight and get the pictures.

More thanks!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 6:16pm

beardo73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beardo73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 6:27pm

This is the part I am talking about. Doesn't look exactly the same... but it looks like it would do the same job.

Pictures/video coming tonight. Thanks!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 6:34pm
Derrick,
This concern of Ken's is why Larry posted the pictures:
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Kinda popped into my head after the post but does your clamp block mount to a stringer or maybe to a piece of angle aluminum that bolts to the hull with the same nuts/bolts that hold the strut in place?

IE: If your clamp block is loose, you will have lots of rudder play.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
beardo73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beardo73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 6:41pm
Gotcha! Yes, that is the case. The block is certainly loose. Is there any need for concern when tightening everything back up? I am unsure if the bolts are mounted to angled iron below the fiberglass or mounted to the stringer. Any good ways of telling? Apologies if this is a novice question. I am after all, a novice boat mechanic.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 6:49pm
Derrick,
If the clamp block is mounted to a stringer,there is no metal under the glass so that means there could be rot in the stringers. Tighten up the bolts, see what happens and report back.

Also, I believe you mentioned the boat turns better in on direction? The position of the torque tube in the clamp block will affect rudder throw

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
beardo73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beardo73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 6:52pm
That is correct. Turns much better on starboard side. I'll snap pictures to help with those issues. For now, I'd just love to get everything tightened back up.

I'll do a little work and report back. Thank you all for the help!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 6:55pm
I’ve never seen a lagged clamp block- they’re all through bolted. If the MQ is like the similar v-hull Bfn, the other end of the bolt may be inaccessible without invasive surgery.

Rudder port bolts loose by 1/4”? Yikes.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by beardo73 beardo73 wrote:

Turns much better on starboard side.

You can't go by the throw of the rudder since prop torque needs to be factored in. So, throw port to starboard will not be the same to get the same degree of turning in the water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 7:31pm
Derrick

Your head is probably spinning right about now.

Don't get too excited till you have some pictures posted.

Some parts are meant to move, like the block pivoting on the mounting ball so the steering is smooth.

You may have a big problem or a small one and the pictures will help.
beardo73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beardo73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 8:17pm

https://youtu.be/BxHEuijup9U
beardo73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beardo73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 8:18pm

https://youtu.be/BxHEuijup9U

This is the first video showing the rudder port and the play with these components. Second video to come of rudder play when it uploads. Pictures probably tomorrow. Thanks!
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 8:22pm
Definitely a loose rudder port
Will wait on the rest of the crew for further advise on the proper fix.
Won't be long !
beardo73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beardo73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 8:25pm
https://youtu.be/Xv3AJLsgs40

Link #2 of the actual rudder movement. Thank you in advance for everyone’s expertise. I’ll upload pictures tomorrow of more components.

Also, starting to think this part has been replaced before I took ownership... I’ll post my supporting evidence with pictures.
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 8:31pm
Derrick, watched the second video. Yea, that needs to be fixed/secured.
How long have you had the boat? How much have you driven it ?
beardo73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beardo73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 8:38pm
I’ve only had the boat for 1 season (8 months right now). We put 23 hours of engine time on from mid June to September. I put it in the garage for the winter and started going over everything and noticed the play. I certainly want it secured and tightened up! The boat ran great, it was an awesome time this summer. Steering in reverse has always been off, but I just figured that was because of the direct drive. Now that we are out of water, I think it can be attributed to a little more than being off or direct drive, lol.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 9:00pm
Well a video is worth a whole lotta words

I think i want to wait and see Pete's reaction to this   

I figure it'll be full of exclamation points!!!!!!!! and full of comments about backyard hacks and maybe even dealers and or repair shops depending on who did the previous "fix"

Don't let us down Pete

The good news is that the boat didn't sink for some inexplicable reason.

More good news is that you'll be good at fiberglass work when you're done with this.

TRB's BFN project would be a good read for you since he did a lot of modifications in the rudder port area. I figure he'll be along with some advice.

Run out and buy a lottery ticket or 2 cause you're one lucky guy since that didn't rip out under power.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 9:04pm
Derrick,
Yes, as the video shows, the port sure is loose. I recommend not simply a tightening but rather removing it first. This way you will be able to clean up all the old bedding compound and then re beading it. 3M 4200 would be my choice since it can be removed if needed at a later date plus has adhesive qualities and great sealing too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
beardo73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beardo73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 9:14pm
That sounds like a good idea. Will I need to do any reinforcements to the hull/flooring? Will I be able to reuse the rudder port or would it be advised to get a new one?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 9:51pm
Derrick,
The port looks great and hopefully it simply came loose.. However, check for wood backing that's in the glass to make sure it's not deteriorated and the cause for the port loosening up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
beardo73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beardo73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 10:00pm
Thank you for the information! Excellent stuff! I feel better already.

Now, does anyone have any tips for disassembling this setup and getting it apart?! Maybe even putting it back together as well?

Thank you all for the help and support! I lost some sleep over this one. Already feeling better!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 10:21pm
Remove the tiller arm off the rudder being careful since the rudder may fall out of the port. Remove the packing gland at the top of the port. This is the big "nut" and small jam nut under it. Then after removing the four bolts that hold the port in via the backing plate the port should come out of the hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2018 at 1:23am
Pete has you covered on how to and that the rudder may come out. Have someone else under there with a set of hands on that rudder. Or a block to hold it up so it doesn’t fall out. A drop on concrete would be aggravating.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2018 at 7:59am
You say that you think it was a previous fix and you'll have pictures to show why.

That'll be a good thing

Seeing how the upper plate is cocked from side to side I'd definitely be looking at the structural integrity of what's under there.

Maybe you'll be lucky and have no damage and plenty of strength

On the trailer, I seem to see a prop guard under the rudder which may make removal a little more complicated than mentioned above if it's right under the rudder,
beardo73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beardo73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2018 at 9:50am
So, I actually didn't get any pictures from the parts that made me believe it's a previous fix.... Small chance I will get there tonight before going away on the weekend to get pictures of it. But, I did get pictures loaded onto the computer for some other steering components! Here they are:

Also, thank you all for your answers and help! I will certainly make sure that I have an extra set of hands to catch the rudder when taking it all apart. The prop guard on the trailer will hopefully not be an issue, but, we will figure out a way to get that off.

I am going to avoid questions of "what-ifs" until I get in there and can see whats going on. At this point, just hoping that there isn't any significant damage to anything that supports those pieces. The other thing that is concerning me is how did this get so loose so fast? Just seems odd... I can't help but think that if something super serious was happening, Ol' Sparky would be at the bottom of the river! Hardly had any water in that boat...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2018 at 10:22am

. The other thing that is concerning me is how did this get so loose so fast? Just seems odd... I can't help but think that if something super serious was happening, ..

When underway, did you notice any vibrations and cavitation? Both can be caused by a prop out of balance and or a bent prop shaft. If the bolts holding the port weren't properly tightened or if there is backing in the glass that's deteriorating, then the vibration would loosen the bolts more.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic