Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas Tank Sealer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Sam.morrison010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.morrison010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Tank Sealer
    Posted: December-23-2018 at 7:21pm
Hi everyone. I currently have the tank off on my '73 Martinique for stringer work and if I was going to do a liner this would be the time. Is this something worth doing? No leaks or other issues.

Thanks!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2018 at 7:45pm
Sam,
Some coatings can be a problem especially with ethanol fuels. Before you decide to use a sealer, take a real good look at the condition of the inside of the tank especially at seams. In 73 there's a good chance that the tank is terneplate which holds up very well. If you do go with a sealer, Bill Hirsch has a good one. It came highly recommended by Gary S so I used it. So far so good. It comes as a kit with a cleaner, a etching liquid and then the actual coating.

Fuel tank sealer kit

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Sam.morrison010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.morrison010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2018 at 8:18pm
Got it. Sounds like I'm probably best to let it be for now then. Thanks!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2018 at 9:00pm
I would agree. If your tank is good don't bother. I used the Hirsch product for years in many different vehicles with no problems. Then I took the boat to Florida and filled up. What ever is in their fuel,there are something like 40 different formulations across our 50 states, ate the Hirsch formulation causing all sorts of trouble- It literally looked like a plastic bag floating in the tank.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic