NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Budget trailer replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bamajeeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamajeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Budget trailer replacement
    Posted: December-12-2018 at 11:23pm
I would like to get some ideas/opinions on a trailer replacement for my boat, budget friendly. I have a 2002 Super Air Nautique currently on a Ram-lin trailer built for a 211. It's very rusty. I came across a 90's Ram-lin for a really good price. It was made for a 19.5' Ski Nautique and my boat is 21'. The crash pad can be unbolted and moved forward 13". Possibly for a Sport Nautique?? That theoretically would leave 5" of the boat hanging of the back. Could I possibly extend the tongue 12-18" and move crash pad to correct location to have no hang off? Has anyone done this? Or is it a crazy idea? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2018 at 12:16am
Is your current trailer falling apart rusty or just fugly? The big problem I see is in moving the boat forward on the trailer you will be increasing your tongue weight. If it's a tandem and not moving the axles forward wouldn't the axle in front be caring a higher load? The other problem I see and others will know is a SN a different hull than a SAN and not fit ?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2018 at 12:40am
Poor idea
bamajeeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamajeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2018 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Is your current trailer falling apart rusty or just fugly? The big problem I see is in moving the boat forward on the trailer you will be increasing your tongue weight. If it's a tandem and not moving the axles forward wouldn't the axle in front be caring a higher load? The other problem I see and others will know is a SN a different hull than a SAN and not fit ?

Current trailer is falling apart. Right now it has no tongue weight, under 100 lbs. Trailer I'm looking at is a single axle and boat is a v-drive, so more weight in the rear. I was hoping that moving it forward it might equal out the weight.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2018 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Poor idea

+1
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2018 at 10:42am
My CC trailer is rotted out so I have been looking also.   I recently purchased a trailer from a 2013 Carbon Pro for $600 that has a lot of surface rust but will work until I come up with a better solution.   Keep an eye on ski-it-again. That's where I found mine. If you find an early Ramlin or CC make sure you look inside the main tubes for rust. They look fine on the outside but are rusting from the inside out. Mine went from looking great to toast in a couple of years and that's in Arizona.

may work
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2018 at 11:00am
To clarify, it’s rhe use of a dd trailer for a vdrive that is the poor idea.

RLXI trailer linked above is also dd.
bamajeeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamajeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2018 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

My CC trailer is rotted out so I have been looking also.   I recently purchased a trailer from a 2013 Carbon Pro for $600 that has a lot of surface rust but will work until I come up with a better solution.   Keep an eye on ski-it-again. That's where I found mine. If you find an early Ramlin or CC make sure you look inside the main tubes for rust. They look fine on the outside but are rusting from the inside out. Mine went from looking great to toast in a couple of years and that's in Arizona.

may work

Thanks for the information. I'll keep an eye on Ski-it-again
bamajeeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamajeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2018 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

To clarify, it’s rhe use of a dd trailer for a vdrive that is the poor idea.

RLXI trailer linked above is also dd.

Thanks for the clarification. I understand that it's not the best idea or safest. I am curious if anyone knows the difference in location of the axle on a Ram-lin single axle trailer.
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2019 at 7:04pm
No such thing as budget and trailer that go together
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
bamajeeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamajeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2019 at 10:44am
Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

No such thing as budget and trailer that go together

Thanks for your $.02, so helpful.
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2019 at 11:50am
Check out Orlando76's thread about his trailer. Ramlin will re-furb your trailer. I am thinking about bringing mine there, it is just a matter of when.
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic