NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringers

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 10>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2019 at 9:26pm
Great choice using the MDO for the backing.

Now after polishing the brass, anything you eat or drink will taste like brass for awhile!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 10:35am
Bilge gel hasn’t been removed where you will be glassing stringers down?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 11:10am
Gave Mike a Composite Care Package last Thursday when he came to the hanger to drop off the OEM Pylon I said I would fix for him and to pick up the floorboard and patterns that GaryS dropped off for him on his way through that included some used 80 grit sandpaper. Hopefully Mike will put it to good use and sand off the bilge coat. I did get the pylon blasted and painted with white epoxy for the project. Not exactly chrome original but told Mike that it would be sacrilegious to but that supra pylon in a 60's Mustang and I wasn't gonna let him do it.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2019 at 1:06pm
Great looking work Mike. Know what you have been doing lately.

Good call on the pylon Tim !
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 9:11pm
I almost made an error with the bilge gel . I was considering just cleaning it up and coating it with CPES before I cap off the stringers with glass. You cant get away with anything here. Its a tremendous help to have so many eyes and years of knowledge to help guide through this project . I don't know how it will turn out but its already 10 times better than I planed .

Main stringers are bedded in with epoxy , bilge gel sanded off and resin mixed with cabosil to form fillets done.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2019 at 10:09am
Its been a couple weeks and some progress has been made . I started capping off the stringers first with first fiberglass mat then cloth over top. There is no doubt its far stronger that when it was new. I will start bulk heads today. I plan to epoxy them to the face of the stringers rather than cut into the top of the stringer like it was gone originally

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2019 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

. I will start bulk heads today. I plan to epoxy them to the face of the stringers rather than cut into the top of the stringer like it was gone originally

Mike,
Bulkheads? Are you talking about the horizontal 1x4 floor supports that were originally notched into the stringers? If so, you may want to consider adding some blocking under them adding surface area for a good bond.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2019 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

. I will start bulk heads today. I plan to epoxy them to the face of the stringers rather than cut into the top of the stringer like it was gone originally

Mike,
Bulkheads? Are you talking about the horizontal 1x4 floor supports that were originally notched into the stringers? If so, you may want to consider adding some blocking under them adding surface area for a good bond.

Yes I don't want to cut notches in the stringers so I will add blocks to the supports and glass them in to both stringers and hull.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2019 at 4:01pm
When measuring the steering cable should that measurement be the outer casing or the inner cable?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2019 at 5:04pm

When measuring the steering cable should that measurement be the outer casing or the inner cable?

Mike,
From ebasicpower.com:
"To calculate your Steering Cable Length, measure the plastic jacket only, add 10" and round up to the next foot. (better longer than shorter)"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2019 at 9:02pm
16’ cable
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2019 at 9:44pm
Where is a good place to order a new cable?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2019 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Mike,
From ebasicpower.com:
"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2019 at 11:53pm
Go2marine. You have to be very careful with ebasic power. They don't know much- you have to do your homework if it's wrong they can make it very hard.
go2marine
should have a Big T system in it originally
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 9:34am
Thanks Gary
Progress is slowly moving forward . I got the rudder installed with new stainless hardware also installed the rear cable mount. The fresh air tube and front bulk head , floor support are in . I didn't want to cut into the new stringers so I bedded the supports to the side if the stringer I will glass over where the support meets the stringer later.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 10:39am
Looking Great Mikey.....You might have it done by the River Ruckus at this rate!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2019 at 9:11am
Front two bulkheads are in started working on the pylon. I didn't like the way CC installed it pinned to a cup at the bottom and two pieces of 1/2 '' plywood at the top of the stringer. Seemed a little weak to me so I took a lesson from Supra and built a steel pylon mount for the Mustang it will use the original pocket at the bottom and a steel brackets attached to the stringers at the top. The pylon will be secured to the new mount using 4 pinch bolts in case it ever has to come out.

Supra Pylon

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2019 at 9:15pm
More progress bilge painted . I put in a 2'' conduit so the wiring can be guided below deck and through the bulkheads. I moved the battery from under the drivers seat and built a platform in front of the kick board to hold a battery box. I had to buy a new fuel tank the old one had about 2'' of varnish in the bottom and Supra tank is too big. Steering cable is in and I started installing foam between the stringers. once the foam is in I will start the subfloor. The original gauges were toast so I salvaged the gauges out of the Supra.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2019 at 10:54am
Are you gluing the foam board together? I have used adhesive sealant for that, doesn't need to be 3M. The pcs could squeek if left loose.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2019 at 6:21pm
No they are somewhat loose I will use some spray foam to fill between the side of the hull and the foam . It will be covered with 3/8 MDO plywood then the fiberglass floor.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 9:56am
Its been a wile but the work is held up by that summer thing. Back to full speed my goal is to have it ready for the Florida river run. So far the floor is done, engine mounts located and stringers strengthened with 2'' of plywood epoxied to the inside of the stringers,wiring and exhaust have been run and yesterday I got the top deck painted. Now I can put the dash and upper hull attachments back on and hang it to start the lower hull. When I got this boat it was free and that is still more than I should have payed .

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2019 at 10:42am
Looking Good Mikey!   Will hopefully see it in person soon. Keep up the good work!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2019 at 12:00pm
Bad news . I hung the boat and removed the trailer . I knew there were cracks on the bottom but I didn't expect this. There are so many spider cracks I am not sure what is the best way to handle them . The ones on the sides I will grind out and fill but the bottom???

Bottom of hull
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2019 at 12:24pm
Mine was worse. It had both spider cracks and blisters. Block sanded down to almost pink glass on most of hull. Then I filled some and covered the entire hull with a veil cloth. Then gelled the entire surface. Horrible amount of labor. The veil cloth is very thin cloth. I figured it would be a barrier between the damaged gel and the new gel. So far none has transferred thru. 2 years now. Maybe not the perfect way to do it but just the way I went.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 9:56am
I started grinding out the spider cracks on the sides . This is going to be a big job . It took a full day just to go 4 ' . What causes this problem in such a large area? The gel seams to be very thick could that be the cause?

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 10:08am
Mike
I have a set of 3” exhaust tips - you are welcome to them if you like. They will require a refresh/conditioning
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 12:52pm
Here are the exhaust tips that came with the boat . They measure 2 5/16 outside diameter.
There is nothing 3'' on the exhaust. Thank you for your offer but I think I will stay with what I have.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 2:13pm
Don't you have the original exhaust manifolds on that PCM 351 your transplanting Mike? They would be 3". If they are you'd have to adapt them to the original boat ones. Greg's offer would be an easier route
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 3:45pm
The 86 riser manifolds won't fit under the Mustang engine cover. I am using the original Mustang exhaust manifolds on the 351 engine with the original exhaust pipes that are 2 3/8 OD.

tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 6:07pm
OMG that is turning out well. The spider cracks will test your will but I sense it’s pretty strong at this point to finish this job right. Maybe you need a bunch of helpers and some pizza and beer. Three or four helpers and supplied Dremmel tools and you might get there sooner.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic