NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringers

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 10>
Author
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 6:11pm
Gelling the whole bottom seems like a huge undertaking. What about doing as you are and filling with epoxy and sanding followed by several coats of (dare I say) Imron or some sort of polyurethane paint? I guess I must have read the answer here somewhere but my waverunner is painted and not gelled and it’s 10 years old and doing alright.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 9:29pm
Wife said she will help with the spider cracks when she is done with the interior. So I should have it done by then.
She started on the front seats at least that is going well.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2019 at 10:23am
Seems to me it doesn't matter whether you paint or gel but that bottom gel has to come off. I wouldn't waste my time picking at it, just grind it off or get one of those tools made specifically for that. Then follow Duanes approach with fill, fair and veil. Paint or gel after that is up to you but I would gel.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2019 at 10:04am
Hi Alan
I have to agree with both of you . I never intended to put this much time and effort into a boat that has almost no value. The fact is I am too far to quit now. I guess the value is in the build . I need to find a way to flip it or stand it up on its tail . I don't want to do it laying under the boat .
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2019 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

I never intended to put this much time and effort into a boat that has almost no value. The fact is I am too far to quit now. I guess the value is in the build . .

Mike, you and I both know along with the rest of us here is that it IS a labor of love. When I first saw it, I knew the potential of what "Tweety" could be especially with a 351 in it while your Brother-in-law asked you if you'd lost your mind and why on earth would you want that piece of crap? It will definitely turn some heads especially on a Lake full of Giants and modern boats. Not that you need a anything to talk to anybody as you come by it naturally' Tweety will be a really cool boat to see, drive and ski behind. Tweety will be a little extra special as it's something that you and Gail restored together. If I lived a little closer I'd give you a hand. Give Minnesota Mike a holla. He's retired and might be thrilled to come lend you a hand. Keep up the great work Mike. It's looking..........tahweet!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2019 at 10:54am
Mike,
Tim said it very well. Yes, many of our boats are really "labor of loves". I have a couple of them!

A bare hull is really pretty light. Get some friends over and roll it over onto some old tires.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2019 at 11:47am
Last bit of advice from me is to take that self imposed deadline off the table. That takes all the fun of restoring a boat out of the picture. It will be done when it's done. This is supposed to be fun.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2019 at 12:03pm
Some might say the slower the better.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2019 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Last bit of advice from me is to take that self imposed deadline off the table. That takes all the fun of restoring a boat out of the picture. It will be done when it's done. This is supposed to be fun.

Just don't follow my lead and > 15 years on a restoration of a plywood boat lol
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2019 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

And dont let a little backlog get you down.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2019 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

And dont let a little backlog get you down.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2019 at 1:34pm
Join the club.....I had a friend that had a 1937 32' Elco that told me long before we started fixing up boats, that if he ever knew how much work, time and money that the boat needed, he wouldn't have bought it. I think just about everybody says that. As far as return on investment, very rare, very nice Elco Cruisette. Everyone thought it was worth $50k-$100k. It sold for $15k after he died. But a lot of fun was had on that boat.

I agree with Alan on dead lines. They turn fun into work.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2019 at 1:38pm
Some of the ads for a $10,000 piece of crap project actually worth $1,000, but include a picture of a "similar" beautifully restored or original boat, that claim the final product will be worth $70,000 always crack me up.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2019 at 2:38pm
Yea those are special Larry - right up there with “it’s an easy fix”
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2019 at 7:51pm
In for a dollar in for a thousand. I would like to get it done for the river run but if it dosn't happen if will be the Supra again. I am working out plans to flip it or hang it from the nose . This is a major setback I will have to overcome.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2019 at 11:30am
Your inside stringer job is beautiful. Clearly you have the skills, time to hit the gas not the brakes
Working on these cool boats is better than sitting on couch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2019 at 5:31pm
Inspite of the setback progress is moving forward. Wife got the first front seat done. I question the seat base the holes don't line up the holes in the floor pan. Am I missing something ?

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2019 at 5:33pm
Nice upholstery work!
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2019 at 6:05pm
^^^^ What he said. What a great skill to have.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2019 at 6:35pm

plus 1

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2019 at 6:36pm
Do you have the lower half of the brackets that screw down? Seats are obviously removable (or you couldn’t get the battery in and out).
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2019 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

plus 1

plus 2
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2019 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

plus 1

plus 2

Plus 3.
She does awesome work.
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2019 at 9:13am
No all I have is the upper seat base as shown in the picture. If anybody has a picture of the lowed base I would love to see that so I can fabricate the parts.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2019 at 12:09pm
WOW, great look on the seats. Tell Gail she's awesome and ask if I can send her the Collegian when it's time.
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2019 at 1:02pm
Not the best photo - I was taking a picture of the windshield and happened to get the brackets in the background. They are two strips of aluminum mitered on each side. They have holes at each end and secure to the floor with four self-tapping screws. The plastic knobs are screwed onto studs. My upper seat brackets are slotted to allow sliding forward/backward a bit before being tightened down. The passenger seat can be mounted facing forward or backward.

1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2019 at 1:13pm
Amazing job on those seats! No turning back on that boat now!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2019 at 1:51pm
Better view. Pretty simple.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2019 at 2:06pm

Better view. Pretty simple.

Mike,
So you may get a better idea, those "studs" for the knobs in the aluminum floor plates are 1/4-20 flat heads countersunk, tapped and staked into the plates. If you will be fabricating new, I'd locktite them in instead of staking.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2019 at 2:14pm
Staking bolt heads to prevent loosening:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic