Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil type?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil type?
    Posted: October-28-2018 at 10:45pm
Sorry, this is incredibly basic but I can't find anything on the search.

Changing the oil on the PCM 351 for the first time, winterizing. Manual recommends 10W30. Is that people are actually using, and synthetic vs regular? I'm in a hot summer climate, if that makes a difference (easily <90 degree daytime temperatures).
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2018 at 11:30pm
regular (non synthetic)
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2018 at 11:37pm
There are lots of threads on oil if you search. You want an oil with higher zinc levels. I use Valvoline VR1 Racing 20W50.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2018 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

There are lots of threads on oil if you search. You want an oil with higher zinc levels. I use Valvoline VR1 Racing 20W50.

Thanks. As mentioned, I tried search and was finding surprisingly little (I think likely a technical limitation of the site rather than a lack of posts, I'm sure this has been discussed repeatedly).
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2018 at 11:59pm
Synthetic is great for long change intervals.

Most boat owners change oil at 50 hrs or less, so the extended life benefit of synthetic is not realized.

The other big benefit of syn is low temp flow, but most boats never see low temp startups.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2018 at 8:29am
Originally posted by DockDoc DockDoc wrote:

Changing the oil on the PCM 351 for the first time, winterizing. Manual recommends 10W30. Is that people are actually using, and synthetic vs regular? I'm in a hot summer climate, if that makes a difference (easily <90 degree daytime temperatures).

Tyler,
If you haven't found the FAQ thread in the forum maintenance section yet, take a look. You will find lots of valuable links to almost anything. Here's just one that has information on oil, filters and even trans fluid. The most important factor of any oil you use is it having the ZDDP you flat tappet engine needs.

Regarding searching, the key word(s) used have an effect on results. As Dave mentioned, there are plenty of threads on oil. You could spent hours reading! Some have found that using Google (or any online search) for searching has better results than the sites search.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2018 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by DockDoc DockDoc wrote:

Tyler,
If you haven't found the FAQ thread in the forum maintenance section yet, take a look. You will find lots of valuable links to almost anything. Here's just one that has information on oil, filters and even trans fluid. The most important factor of any oil you use is it having the ZDDP you flat tappet engine needs.

Regarding searching, the key word(s) used have an effect on results. As Dave mentioned, there are plenty of threads on oil. You could spent hours reading! Some have found that using Google (or any online search) for searching has better results than the sites search.

Thanks, didn't know about this FAQ section, extremely useful! Appreciate it
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2018 at 1:31am
Spend the extra $15 and buy Valvoline VR1 20W-50 oil. It has high ZDDP (zinc) for your flat tappet application. Don't go cheap on the oil...it's like stepping over $100 bills to pick up a dime.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2018 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Spend the extra $15 and buy Valvoline VR1 20W-50 oil. It has high ZDDP (zinc) for your flat tappet application. Don't go cheap on the oil...it's like stepping over $100 bills to pick up a dime.

JQ

Thanks will do.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2018 at 12:19am
Or go to Walmart and pick up a 5 qt jug of Mobil1 15w50 for $23. Also has the ZDDP levels required.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2019 at 9:32pm
Just bought Mobile1 10w40 Synthetic, would this be ok for a 94 engine? If not I can take back and exchange.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2019 at 9:40pm

John,
Sorry about the quality of the chart. Why the synthetic?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2019 at 9:49pm
I have been running Synthetic in all my trucks figured it would be ok in the boat. This boat will not get a lot of hard work, just some boat riding--(IF I ever get it back from Fiberglas guy)
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2019 at 12:25am
every F150 and Bronco called for 10 30 , I ran the hec out of 2 of them. 302 or 351 most always calls for 10 w 30 . but heat and duty cycles can change that.

unless someone has the hubble telescope no one can read that chart! microfish slide is out of focus from 1982!
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2019 at 12:46am
I will sell you a case of VR1 for $75 :) Just don't search on here and see what I bought it for.

Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2019 at 12:48am
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2019 at 8:10pm
Straight 40 weight vr-1. My PCM manual calls for straight 40 weight and that is why I run it!
Otto
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2019 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

Straight 40 weight vr-1. My PCM manual calls for straight 40 weight and that is why I run it!

Oil tech has come a long way in the last 20+ years since our manuals were written.   The VR-1 is actually a superior oil and if I'm not mistaken someone on the forum had verified from PCM that it was a perfect alternative, if not superior. Just saying .....

Right now I'm still running the Rotella 15-40 due to the new flat tappet engine. Next oil change at 50 hours I'll likely go back to the VR-1
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic