NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Pump Priming Tool

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Pump Priming Tool
    Posted: October-19-2018 at 1:57pm
Do you Gents know the specs for an oil pump priming tool for the Ford 351W small block?

There are 5/16" hex and 1/4" hex. I don't have my distributor with me and I want to pick up a tool at the local NAPA store.

Thanks,

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2018 at 2:09pm
Don't bother. Get a 1/4" drive socket drill adapter and use a long extension with a 5/16" socket on the end. Primed every Ford I've built that way.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2018 at 2:20pm
And if you drop that socket in the hole, you'll have a bad day

It's hard to lose the priming tool in there

Like Zach said 5/16
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2018 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

And if you drop that socket in the hole, you'll have a bad day

It's hard to lose the priming tool in there

Like Zach said 5/16

I always put electrical tape on my 1/4 drive 5/16" 6 point deep socket to keep it from falling off the extension --- I suspect I have spent more money on electrical tape doing it over the years than I spent on the priming tool that I can never find when I need it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2018 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I can never find when I need it.

Joe,
You just have too many projects going on at the same time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2018 at 4:07pm

Man look at the size on the gunnels on that beauty - by far the favorite swimming platform in the Fennessy clan... she was missed this summer as she never moved from that spot --- its not the amount of projects that makes me a tool slob - although the multiple project locations doesn't help. Mostly I am just not nearly good enough at keeping track of my tools - usually when I empty all the buckets and benches I recover most of them but only usually.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2018 at 4:21pm
Look at all those steppads you'll need and all the frame rechromeing
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2018 at 4:55pm
The oil sometimes traps the socket on the shaft but nothing a long pair of needle nose and a magnet can't fix. Never had one fall off but the tape is a good trick. Also, for sure do the deep well, makes it easy to pull off the shaft if it stays in there.

Working on a priming tool with one of the distributors Mars sent me which is "machinist guy" beat on the end of with a hammer while installing "unsuccessfully" a RR gear?

Also, I didn't know turbo mill motor mounts had touched CC stringers yet.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2018 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Working on a priming tool with one of the distributors Mars sent me which is "machinist guy" beat on the end of with a hammer while installing "unsuccessfully" a RR gear?

It might resemble this

The remains of an old Prestolite a bolt and some sloppy welding. Works like a charm and you'll never lose any of it in the engine   

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2018 at 10:58pm
Thanks gents. I like the idea of a deep 5/16" socket with a little black tape to hold the socket in place.

I assume that the drill will run counter-clockwise when spinning the pump, correct?

KENO: That's some mighty fine creative engineering there.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2018 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Thanks gents. I like the idea of a deep 5/16" socket with a little black tape to hold the socket in place.

I assume that the drill will run counter-clockwise when spinning the pump, correct?

KENO: That's some mighty fine creative engineering there.

JQ

Back yard hackery at it's best

Counterclockwise is right

For you JQ, red tape would be more fitting
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2018 at 12:17pm
Thanks, Gents, for the suggestions. The tape-on-the-socket approach worked well. I got the new Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold installed without issues. I still need to fire the engine up and set the ignition timing as I had to remove the dizzy.

I did, however, use blue tape...

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2018 at 1:59am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I did, however, use blue tape...

JQ

In keeping with all the paint talk lately ,was that PCM blue, old Ford blue, new Ford blue, dark Ford blue or maybe just any old shade of blue?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2018 at 3:45am
I too have used the tape method with success.   I used a lot of tape to make sure that socket came back up because if it does not you will waste a ton of time trying to get it back.
Nice Tool Keno. Much safer than the taped socket approach.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic