Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1993 196 carpet replace

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1993 196 carpet replace
    Posted: October-12-2018 at 2:52pm
I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times, but I'd like to know just how difficult replacing the carpet in my 1993 196 will be. Was thinking of replacing the interior skins this winter, and the carpet is still original (tired).
Anyone who has done this before I would like to hear from. Thanks,
Gregg
TWSS
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 10:55pm
Gregg,

Just did mine last winter. It was probably a bit easier for me since I was replacing the engine at the same time and had it and the engine cradle out as well as all of the interior. All in all, the main body and sides weren't too bad. The real headache came when recovering all the supplementary pieces: base of the observer seat, removable floor section aft of the doghouse, cooler covers, battery cover and the footboards. By far the most PIA was the observer seat though. Did the sides and main floor in less than a day. the others took twice that combined. Having said that, I am very glad I did it. My two cents: regardless of the challenge and hair pulling, do it! You'll be glad you did.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
man0seven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man0seven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2018 at 1:48am
I am about to tear all the carpet out and black gel coat the floor and sides to then cover with aqua deck(similar to SeaDek) and then carpet the sides base of the dog house overserver seat and nose of the bow. If anyone has any tips I am all ears and if I get to it before you do Gregg, I will share whatever I can.
2005 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2018 at 6:45am
Originally posted by man0seven man0seven wrote:

I am about to tear all the carpet out and black gel coat the floor and sides to then cover with aqua deck(similar to SeaDek) .

Brian,
Why the gel coat and then covering it with the Aqua Deck?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2018 at 9:28am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by man0seven man0seven wrote:

I am about to tear all the carpet out and black gel coat the floor and sides to then cover with aqua deck(similar to SeaDek) .

Brian,
Why the gel coat and then covering it with the Aqua Deck?

X2 - I'm also curious.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
man0seven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man0seven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2018 at 11:42am
With the Aqua Marine Deck it only covers the flat areas so to not have the red and rough surfaces of the glass I want a color that compliments the flooring. Since I don't want to just paint the areas I thought it would be better to gel coat it, make it a little more finished.
Is there a better way? What would you all suggest?
Brian
2005 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2018 at 11:44am
Does it need a flat surface to adhere to? You may want to set eyes on the finish of the floor before proceeding down this route.
man0seven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote man0seven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2018 at 11:50am
The Aqua Marine stuff has a PSA adhesive so it is fairly forgiving but it is better if it is flat. The gel coat will help with flattening out the surface. I have sections of the floor already removed and it could use some smoothing.
2005 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2018 at 11:58am
The typical variations I have seen in floor smoothness are significantly greater than the thickness that typical gel will fill. Especially considering that there is already gel on the floor- that’s a lot of thickness without much strength. I guess if it doesn’t have to look good it may be ok?
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2018 at 1:10pm
I know the carpet goes down inside the removable floor panels, ie the ice box lid, battery cover, and the floor panel behind the dog house. Thinking using the SeaDeck type material would be difficult to hide all these areas? Also would the panels be too loose without the carpet replaced?
Gregg
TWSS
man0seven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man0seven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2018 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The typical variations I have seen in floor smoothness are significantly greater than the thickness that typical gel will fill. Especially considering that there is already gel on the floor- that’s a lot of thickness without much strength. I guess if it doesn’t have to look good it may be ok?

I thought that you could build up the gel coat relatively thick so I was thinking that the variations would be diminished. But yes, it doesn't have to look perfect it is just partly to color the exposed areas and make it a little more flat. Is there something else you would suggest?

Originally posted by GHTILL GHTILL wrote:

I know the carpet goes down inside the removable floor panels, ie the ice box lid, battery cover, and the floor panel behind the dog house. Thinking using the SeaDeck type material would be difficult to hide all these areas? Also would the panels be too loose without the carpet replaced?
Gregg

I am actually going to put carpet back in under the bow, so the battery cover and the icebox are partially carpeted. I haven't quite worked out the spacing issues. I am however planning on building up the area aft the doghouse so that it looks more finished.
This is an example of what i am thinking but with black instead of white. Also I am going to cover the base of the dog house. I think it looks too rough for me.

2005 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic