NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'81 Ski Nautique gets wet...again

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '81 Ski Nautique gets wet...again
    Posted: October-08-2018 at 1:04pm
Bought this '81 Ski last December through Craigslist. Original owner to 2014, second owner 3 years. 1st owner a dedicated member of Berkeley Water Ski Club (SF Bay area) and cared for boat. Still showed original carpet, seat back and motor box upholstery, with 1447 hours.
Second owner-less so. Filthy, motor a mess, bilge full of oil and muck. Would crank (very noisy) but not start. Transmission locked. Was asking 3500, bought for 1500.

I began with a thorough power wash, then looked over engine. When I removed the valve covers, there was a rocker laying on its side. I decided then to pull and rebuild the motor. The block failed pressure test, so found a std. used for 150. I reassembled everything using new internals (crank/rods were fine), Reused original rr cam, new lifters. I had often thought about a lighter weight early SN. Nothing crazy, just some easily attainable weight loss, to see the impact on wakes and performance. Through some good connections I used Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads and intake, and Barr aluminum exhaust manifolds.
I modified the cooling system with a new "gutted" alum. water pump which distributes water through the motor from a crank-driven rwp. Made up a new alum. t-stat housing.
I also sourced a used PCM 1:1 aluminum trans from a member here. (thank you Ron) Motor fired and ran well on the stand.

1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2018 at 1:27pm
After a few odds and ends the engine/trans was ready to go back in, I turned my attention to the hull. Another power wash, then I popped off trailer and flipped over to more easily repair some minor gouging on bottom, and wet sand the bottom and sides. I was not intending a top-tier resto, but the original graphics were fairly worn out.
I needed to redo the trailer bunk carpet, so with the bunks off I lifted off the fiberglass bellypan, Then I cleaned up and repainted the trailer frame.

Once the hull was back on the trailer, I thought I'd better check it for soundness. Drilled 4 1.5" test holes through floor/foam. (2 near transom, 2 up near main bulkhead by battery box). Foam was perfectly colored and dry right down to hull glass, and stringers solid. (Phew!!)
The original plywood driver's seat base and rear floor panel were pretty rough, so I made new ones with Coosa 26. Wanted to use battery box as cooler, so relocated battery up into a cavity in the 'air box' just ahead of the drivers footboard. With a 23 ib. battery to replace the 50.5 and the other items, saved 38 lbs. The drivetrain mods saved 221 lbs. I redid the graphics and got it ready to go.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2018 at 1:45pm
Finally had a chance to run it this past Friday. First dip required final packing adjustments, but no other gremlins. Broke in the engine for about 40 minutes of varying throttle speeds and loads. All vital signs good. A few love taps on the carb screws, but it ran excellent.
Saturday ran it with local ACBS Delta cruise for about 90 minutes of run time. I had installed a new Acme 540 and.....wow! The throttle response was a huge plus, and it pulls like a mother! Around 38 mph, it just takes off like a turbo kicking in. Usually these feel like they're running out of power from 4k to 4400 rpm, but this has much more left. One quick blast nearly pegged the speedos. I didn't top it out yet, and actually that's not what I'm going for.
As for the wake, it appears much lower and softer at 34 (my slalom speed) than any of the 2001's I've owned, and more more like a '95 I'd owned. Very flat and very symmetrical. Very pleased.

So, if the factory weight is approx. 2100, this s/be around 1850.
Over this winter I plan to make up some alum. motor/trans brackets and replacement mounts. Also planning to make a new, lightweight motor box and swim platform, maybe some other misc. items. Should get under 1800 its. Is it worth it? Depends...I had to do the motor and trans anyway, all the rest is fairly small stuff. Looking forward to a final weigh in and to ski it next spring. Thanks to everyone on this site for all the help.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2018 at 10:58pm
I like it! A lot! Good work.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 6:58am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 10:52am
Tell me more about the aluminum exhaust manifolds. Seems like this would be a great weight saver on any 351, might be really a really nice weight-saving upgrade on the TSC1 boats. What's the weight difference?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 12:06pm
Outstanding

Looks nice and high in the water
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Timr71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 12:41pm
Very nice.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2018 at 11:42pm
Thanks for all the kind words.
The exhaust manifolds are a great savings. The pair are 61 lbs. less than the PCMs.
The other most significant weight savings came from:
Intake manifold-31 lbs.
Cylinder heads-42 lbs.
Velvet Drive to PCM-48 lbs.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 3:30am
Nice work and it looks great.
I had a 1978 for nearly 10 years in the 80's. Same hull.
That boat is light and much faster than newer hulls.
I ran a 13x14 prop on mine and it really had good speed.
Before gps but it easily pegged the speedos.
The wake at long line or 15 off was significant. You learn to ski with soft knees and pull hard through the wake.
My 1995 has much smaller wakes and runs very well but is 5-6 mph slower top speed.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 11:07am
That thing looks awesome, and I love the weight savings projects.   I don’t get the gutting of the water pump housing.   I can see not going with the cast iron pcm timing cover/thermostat housings and how that gets to a crank mounted pump, but there can’t be any significant weight savings in gutting the circ pump?   Is this a belts/plumbing thing?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 12:54pm
Yes, the aluminum timing cover saved 10 lbs. The 'hollow' water pump housing saved another 8. The crank- driven rwp saved another 8. The heavy cast iron water 'hose' from old circa pump and iron t-stat housing, bracketry, etc. Of course I had to add back the pieces I used, but the net weight savings on the cooling system is 29 lbs
It is simpler, and so far, seems to work well.
I used the Holman-Moody design as inspiration..
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 12:56pm
How do I straighten photos?
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 1:57pm
So you are constantly pumping cold water into the block.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 2:04pm
Or does rwp just deadhead until the 'stat opens?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 2:09pm

Hey look at that, the picture's right side up

Which then leads to questions sorta like Hollywood's question.

Where do the 2 smaller 5/8 heater hoses go to and where do they come from?

It looks like the 1 inch hoses go to the front of the manifolds just like a PCM.

Where's the thermostat? Is it in the Ford automotive location?

How do you cool the manifolds/exhaust hoses before the thermostat is open?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 3:53pm
The smaller hoses take the thermostat 'bypass' water directly to the exhaust manifolds.
There is a t-stat in the automotive location.
Based on this:
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 4:10pm
Makes sense to me knowing that stuff

I can see the flow paths now

Hope it works well for you.

That suction line to the pump is, well........."creative" but I've got one that's not a lot different with the same pump and it works just fine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 5:15pm
That suction line to the pump is, well........."creative" but I've got one that's not a lot different with the same pump and it works just fine

You're right....mine's sort of in 'beta'...:-)
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 5:42pm
So what temperature does it run at?

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Also, as any man worth his salt knows , hot slugs in cold jugs makes for scuffing and more wear.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 5:44pm
Where's the in water shot? Looks like Delta, but I can't figure where.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2018 at 6:51pm
It ran cool, around 130 most of the time. The water was cold, the air was cool, and I ran w/out the engine cover most of the time.

Yes, Delta-B&W Resort near Rio Vista
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2018 at 4:06pm
Ran the boat for the second time yesterday. Continues to impress.
Overall, the engine performance is drastically improved. Even though I retained the stock cam, the power @3800 rpm and up is markedly increased by using the Edelbrock Performer cylinder heads and intake. It is much, much more lively, and pulls strongly to 52 mph (GPS) w/ 3 persons aboard.
With the Acme 540, the wake is 'frothier' and the peaks are less clean. Seems more prop wash. Still haven't skied it yet.
I'll carry on with some additional mods and should cut out an additional 100 lbs,, ending up around 1750. I'll weigh it when finished.
Next up is a new, light 2-piece motor box, swim platform and some seat work. Next spring and summer we will teach 3 kids (10,12, 13) how to water ski. Their first experience will be behind a Ski Nautique. Hopefully they will take to it and grow up with fond memories of a cool boat like many of us have.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic