Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newly aquired 1968 Correct Craft Project!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
68correctcraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68correctcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newly aquired 1968 Correct Craft Project!!
    Posted: October-02-2018 at 1:45pm
Hello everyone! I have recently acquired a 1968 CC which through some research on this site I believe it to be a Freeport. My father inlaw purchased this boat as a project appx 7 years ago and it has been in his covered barn ever since. He received the boat with the engine pulled with a "fresh rebuild" boring block, new pistons etc. I will figure out how to upload pictures of this project. A lot of work.... and Coors light, have gone into this so far. I am grateful for this site and the information it has provided me already. I look forward to sharing my restoration stories / pics with you all. and I will surely need some advice along the way!! Thanks guy,

Pat

Here are a few shots of it coming our of storage, towing her home & giving a good pressure washing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68correctcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 2:35pm
How can I add pictures to this thread??
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 2:40pm
Pictures:

Be posting from computer, not phone or tablet
at the bottom of the thread, click on post reply, do not use the quick reply box
Click on the tree icon with the up arrow.
Select photo from your computer, follow directions at that point.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68correctcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 4:50pm
Even though the block and been worked at a speed shop in Florida (paperwork that was provided to my father in law upon purchase) it had been sitting for appx 7 years. The intake was not put back on the engine and was in rough shape as you can see. After a good soaking, scrubbing, bath in our parts cleaner at work it turned out pretty decent

After a few coats of high heat primer & paint I am pretty pleased with the results

Since the engine was sitting for such a long period we decided to remove all the pistons and Crank to remove / clean all the assembly oil that was hardened inside. Wish I had taken a before picture but here are the pistons and cam all cleaned up
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 5:30pm

Give that Mopar some love and paint it the correct Chrysler Marine colors so it isn't stuck in MerCruiser land.

Pistons and rods look nice and clean, Those need to be installed opposite direction of a standard rotating assembly because Chrysler features offset piston pins.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68correctcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 5:47pm
PHATSAT,
I am unsure of what you mean by this. The pistons all have a small notch on the top of them and all were pointing towards the front of the block. Should they not be installed in the same orientation? I have attached a picture below where just the pistons are loose in the block with no caps installed yet showing the notch I am referring too.

Thank you in advance,

Pat

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Give that Mopar some love and paint it the correct Chrysler Marine colors so it isn't stuck in MerCruiser land.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 5:52pm
You need to confirm they are offset, they usually are when they have a notch associated with it. You probably can have a machine shop check the piston pin offset if you can't. They use offset pins to keep the noise down on the engine. If they are installed the wrong way they will make more noise than a non offset and probably create wear issues.

It has been confirmed to be a reverse rotation engine?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 5:57pm
I was just going to ask you that. Can you tell by the picture of his camshaft if it's RR by it's gear?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68correctcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 6:12pm
I will have to check and see if it is right hand or left hand rotation. I should not have assumed the pistons were installed correctly since I do not know the engine builder who did the work. What are the best ways to check this?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I was just going to ask you that. Can you tell by the picture of his camshaft if it's RR by it's gear?

It's a reverse rotation camshaft based on the cut of the gear

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68correctcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 6:26pm

Here is a closer shot of the cam gear
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by 68correctcraft 68correctcraft wrote:

Here is a closer shot of the cam gear

And here's a closer look at the direction it goes   REVERSE ROTATION   
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 6:56pm
Very Cool!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68correctcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 7:12pm
In that case.....Im glad our work time got cut short the other night and did not end up installing and torqueing the pistons oriented backwards. So the notches on the pistons need to be facing the rear of the block correct?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 8:04pm
Love the blue!

Let's see some interior pics
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 9:08pm
IF you verified that they have offset pins then you CANNOT just turn them around and put them back in the same hole. You will need to turn them around and put them in the opposite bank. Then renumber them. The radius on the crank journal has to match up with the bigger radius on the rod.   In other words the rod is not reversable just the pistons.
Clear as mud?
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 9:12pm
Like your boat, good luck with it.
(BTW be prepared to get chastised for the trim tabs)
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 9:17pm
I think I'd spend some time figuring out just what you have there.

You have some oversized pistons and don't know whether the piston pins are offset or not in your new pistons. Do some measuring or get them measured to find what you have. The notch doesn't necessarily mean that the pins are offset

Edit based on the picture of your oil pump drive gear a few posts down You have a reverse rotation cam and what looks like a normal rotation oil pump drive gear which won't mesh with it and your crankshaft from that time frame would have a 2 piece rear main seal and should have wick lines in front of the rear main seal for oil control. The reverse rotation engine wick lines are opposite from an automotive engine. You can do a CCF search for wick lines or helix and you'll see what they look like. You'll get mostly Ford pictures but the Chrysler lines are the same.. Make sure you have a reverse rotation crank by verifying the direction of those wick lines now instead of later.

Some time researching things now will probably save you a lot of time and aggravation in the long run, so drop the wrenches and do some verifying of what you have.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2018 at 9:53pm
I am not aware of cast pistons that don't have an offset pin.
They will be offset .040 or .060 normally.
The factory offset cast pistons to reduce piston slap that you could hear at idle.
Forged Pistons usually run a centered piston pin.
I knew many NHRA Race teams in the stock classes that ran offset pistons reversed with the offset on the non thrust side just like yours would be. They claimed the engines would RPM better. The advantage/disadvantage is so minimal I would not worry about turning them around if it would force you to press out the piston pins to do it. If your rods would work as is with just a relocation to the opposite bank I would go ahead and do it.
Either way you will never feel a difference in a noisy boat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68correctcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 10:04am
Keno, I too am very interested finding out just what engine & components we have here. I saw on another thread on here that reverse rotation engines have a collar added between the block and the distributor to hold the pump gear down. What makes me scratch my head even more is that my engine has a collar in it. But with the collar in place the distributor is too short to fit to the tang slot on the gear. Yet when I remove the collar the distributor seats perfectly in the block and also in the slot on oil pump gear. Here are a few shots of what I am seeing.

No collar:

With collar

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 10:28am
Possible someone swapped in a automotive distributor, Std and Reverse Chryslers used the same collar so they had a standardized longer distributor shaft length. It was just a spacer on standard rotation engines.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68correctcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 12:59pm
When I get home I will see if I can locate a part # on the distributor... maybe that will tell me if it is automotive or marine use?? Cant seem to wrap my head around this yet... Also will take pictures of the pistons to check for offset.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68correctcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 1:03pm
phatsat,

Is this picture I found on another thread correct??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68correctcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Like your boat, good luck with it.
(BTW be prepared to get chastised for the trim tabs)

Thank you very much, I like your boat as well. I agree with your signature also as this boat will not be taken back to all original. I take it some must of added those trim tabs then.....
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2018 at 7:08pm

phatsat,

The picture is right.

Reverse rotating engines needed the thrust bearing due to the upward thrust on the gear and because of this they had a longer shaft.

Standard normal rotation engines could also use the thrust bearing but it wasn't necessary. It used the same longer shaft distributor

Many times twin engine boats had the thrust bearing on both the normal and reverse rotating engines so the distributor was the same for both engines. .

A single engine normal rotating setup didn't need the thrust bearing and without it, you could use the shorter shaft distributor and there were marine versions of the short shaft one too.

You seem to have the thrust bearing and a short shaft distributor from your description and pictures. Not a good combination

You can't just leave the thrust bearing out though because with reverse rotation you need it to absorb the upward thrust on the gear.

One thing to keep in mind is that the distributor always rotates clockwise whether it's a normal or reverse rotation engine

You'll probably find the distributor info on that sheet metal tag that's riveted to the distributor housing in one of your pictures. You'll probably have to scrape a little paint to be able to read it from the looks of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68correctcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

phatsat,

The picture is right.

Reverse rotating engines needed the thrust bearing due to the upward thrust on the gear and because of this they had a longer shaft.

Standard normal rotation engines could also use the thrust bearing but it wasn't necessary. It used the same longer shaft distributor

Many times twin engine boats had the thrust bearing on both the normal and reverse rotating engines so the distributor was the same for both engines. .

A single engine normal rotating setup didn't need the thrust bearing and without it, you could use the shorter shaft distributor and there were marine versions of the short shaft one too.

You seem to have the thrust bearing and a short shaft distributor from your description and pictures. Not a good combination

You can't just leave the thrust bearing out though because with reverse rotation you need it to absorb the upward thrust on the gear.

One thing to keep in mind is that the distributor always rotates clockwise whether it's a normal or reverse rotation engine

You'll probably find the distributor info on that sheet metal tag that's riveted to the distributor housing in one of your pictures. You'll probably have to scrape a little paint to be able to read it from the looks of it.

Keno, Thank you for the info. I took a shot of the part# tag off the distributor. Somewhere along the line someone must of swapped for the wrong one. Also my pistons do seem to have offset wrist pins.

Here is the part#

Here is a shot of the piston offset

So did all marine distributors for this engine have the same length shaft?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 3:28pm

Here is a shot of the piston offset

The offset is port to starboard and not fore to aft. As mentioned, it's best to get some measurements.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68correctcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2018 at 12:39pm

I don't know why the other picture I tried to upload will not show but here is another shot of the distributor. Anyone know what new distributor can be purchased to fit my RR engine? The shaft on this one is too short with the collar installed.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2018 at 2:20pm

I don't know why the other picture I tried to upload will not show but here is another shot of the distributor. Anyone know what new distributor can be purchased to fit my RR engine? The shaft on this one is too short with the collar installed.

It looks like it's an original equipment marine distributor for a small block Chrysler.

It was built by Prestolite The IBM-4109A on the tag tells you that.

The 2444983 is a Chrysler number.

Right off hand, I couldn't tell you where to find the right distributor

And like Pete said, you need to read about piston pin offset
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic