Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marine or Regular Sta-Bil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marine or Regular Sta-Bil
    Posted: September-19-2018 at 4:15pm
I have been using Sta-Bil in my boats for years, especially since the gasoline went with the alcohol. I didn't know that Sta-Bil has a" Marine grade" . Anyone have an opinion on this or are both products about the same, cept for the $$?
I don't mind paying a little extra for prevention if it would make a difference.
TWSS
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 5:32pm
Good question. It used to be the difference with the marine was that it was for use with ethanol fuel,the automotive was not. Now according to their web site they both are.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 11:40pm
The marine Sta Bil is for use in ethanol based gasoline engines. The regular Sta Bil is for use with straight gas engines. Marine Sta Bik is green, regular Sta Bil is pink/red.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 12:09am
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

The marine Sta Bil is for use in ethanol based gasoline engines. The regular Sta Bil is for use with straight gas engines. Marine Sta Bik is green, regular Sta Bil is pink/red.

While the product colors are the same their description has changed and another color added. The marine,performance and storage are for use in both types of fuel,the 360 Marine and Performance says good for 12 months,the storage says 24. Don't know what if any differences are,looks like any would do the job. I will use whatever is cheaper,I bought a quart for under 10 bucks at our local Farm & Fleet since the container was damaged. I'll pour it into my old container when it's empty.

#360 Marine stable

stabil storage

stabil 360 performance
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 12:51am
I have found it very hard to find gasoline without the ethanol added. I thought the "regular" red Sta-Bil was to decrease the effects from the alcohol additive in the fuel, just like the "marine" Sta-Bil does.
I want to know the stance our CCF's have on using these products every time we fill our tanks with gas for our trips to the lake.
TWSS
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 8:22am
I run both boats enough through the season that I DO NOT add Stabil with every tank. Come December when it's time to put Kermit and Scarlett to bed for a couple of months I'll throw in some Stabil, fill up the tank with Non-ethanol fuel and run them for a bit. Both main fuel supply lines have been upgraded to a ethanol approved fuel line so I don't have to worry about them breaking down from the alcohol and trashing the carbs. I'm pretty sure that most of the other CCFans that I hang with throughout the year follow the same general rule of thumb.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 2:53pm
I agree. I just use Sta Bil in the winter for storage 3-4 months max. I also only use non ethanol 90 octane gasoline. No fuel issues, ever. If I couldn't get ethanol free fuel I'd take up another hobby. Such as reap airing small engines damaged by crappy fuel containing ethanol.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 3:26pm

If I couldn't get ethanol free fuel I'd take up another hobby.

Really??? Hope your joking. As many of us mid westerners have said before ethanol free is NOT available. There is no other option. I have a ‘47, ‘49,’59 tractors, ‘59 MGA, 2 ‘69 Honda mini trails, ‘74 Honda 125, ‘76 Honda 250, ‘69&95 Correct Crafts, two mid 90’Stihl saws and a mid 90’s Stihl weed whip. The weed whip is the only one who ever has had serious problems requiring a new carb.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 3:57pm
I don't use Sta-bil but do use ethanol and have never had a problem.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

If I couldn't get ethanol free fuel I'd take up another hobby.

Really??? Hope your joking. As many of us mid westerners have said before ethanol free is NOT available. There is no other option. I have a ‘47, ‘49,’59 tractors, ‘59 MGA, 2 ‘69 Honda mini trails, ‘74 Honda 125, ‘76 Honda 250, ‘69&95 Correct Crafts, two mid 90’Stihl saws and a mid 90’s Stihl weed whip. The weed whip is the only one who ever has had serious problems requiring a new carb.

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I don't use Sta-bil but do use ethanol and have never had a problem.

I've run ethanol in ALL my engines for years. NEVER had a problem. Funny how it's always the people who can't figure out the problem with their engines that say it's the ethanol!!

David,
What hobby would you be considering?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 7:45pm
Well I ski tournaments from April to October and snow ski dec to march so it would have to need minor input as I'm kind of busy with hobby situation. Findinding ethanol free fuel here in the south is no problem. PCM actually recommends ethanol free fuel and they do manufacture every engine used in Nautiques for many years. Do you think PCM (now Nautique) is getting a kickback from non ethanol providers to suggest their customers in writing to avoid ethanol fuels. The Midwest seems to be adamant about corn fuel. Down here we make moonshine out of it!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 8:24pm
Which makes no sense at all. You'll drink it but won't put it into a vehicle. I can get a new engine in a week,liver- not so readily available.
I'm not sticking up for ethanol but I'm not going to say I'm giving up a hobby because of some perceived problem- thats just silly and misinformation.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 8:49pm

PCM actually recommends ethanol free fuel !

Really? Maybe it's time for you to do some better research or work on the other hobbies?

What is PCM’s policy on the use of Ethanol?
The implementation of ethanol-based fuel is spreading rapidly throughout the United States . The end user of our engines might well be concerned regarding the use of this fuel. As such, Pleasurecraft Marine Engines provides the following policy statement regarding the use of this fuel.
This notification addresses the use of ethanol fuels IN PCM ENGINES ONLY. It does not address the use of ethanol fuels in vessel related components such as boat gas tanks, boat fuel lines, boat fuel filters, etc. The boat owner is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to contact the boat builder regarding the suitability of
ethanol fuel usage in their vessel.
Ethanol blended fuel rated E10 or less is acceptable to use.
Check it out yourself.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 9:38pm
I'm not even certain how to spell stab bil, anti-freeze, or winterize. What are these items of which you speak?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 10:10pm
Pete, we all have opinions, some may disagree with yours. That's not a proble. But you are the guy who says "keep it original". In the beginning when I went to the gas station with my dad in NC there was only regular and high test, they also had white gas that my dad alwYs bought for the lawn mower. This whole ethanol crap started with Jimmy Carter, a one term president who led us to gas shortages and 55 mph speed limits. Don't know of many Jimmy Carter fans down here.

I was pulling your chain on the moonshine Gary, I never touch that stuff. I have a 2018 Yamaha VMAX 115 for my pontoon. Fuel injected and cranks right up, That and my 2004 Ski Nautique owned since new with a PCM 330 hp engine only run straight gas.

I have Stihl power tools that are recommended by Sithl to run straight gas only. So far I haven't had to come on here or any other site for troubleshooting advice. I sincerely believe that maybe the manufacturers are spot on with recommending straight gas. My ski club has a 2013 SN 200 with a 409 hp 6L PCM power plant. Again in the manual PCM recommends straight gas.

I do use ethanol fuel in my 2016 Subaru Outback and 2015 Acura TLX V-6. No issues with either. I believe in high volume applications the manufacturers do whatever the federal go vernment mandates. However small engine, marine and aircraft engines thankfully are ethanol free.

You really can't win an argument with me by going against the manufacturers.recommendation . By the way I'm pretty sure my Boxer engine would run on cat piss, it runs on CO gas for 4 months every year although I refuse to run 85 octane and run 87 instead.

So we can agree to disagree on fuels. I still don't know what white gas is.
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 10:12pm
Hey Brian, I guess you don't boat at Tahoe much other than a couple months a year. It gets cold up there for at least half the year right?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 10:16pm
Ha. I've been going to Tahoe for 55 years. Had my own boat in that lake 1 day. Woke up the next morning with 2 inches of snow on the cover, and brought her home.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 10:23pm

Pete, we all have opinions, some may disagree with yours.
I still don't know what white gas is.

The use of ethanol in PCM engines is not my opinion.
This is you opinion:

PCM actually recommends ethanol free fuel !

This is PCM's recommendation, it's not an opinion and it doesn't seem you bothered to read it.
Check it out yourself.
BTW, white gas is simply straight run gas with absolutely no additives.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 10:50pm
In my 2004 PCM engine manual on page 25 it states: Gasoline containing alcohol
Gasoline containing alcohol, either ethanol (ethyl alcohol) or methanol (methyl alcohol) is not recommended for use in your engine. Gasoline containing alcohol will attract and hold moisture and may cause the following:
Hard starting and operating difficulties (vapor lock, low speed stalling)
Corrosion of metal parts
Excessive wear and damage to internal engine parts.
Fuel permeation through fexible fuel lines.
Deterioration of some non metallic materials.

The adverse effects of alcohol are more severe with methanol and are worse with increasing alcohol content.

If gasoline containing alcohol is used,or if the presence of alcohol is uncertain, more frequent inspections of the complete fuel system are required. Any sign of fuel leakage or deterioration must be repaired immediately before further engine operation.

This information was thoroughly read by me and I heed that information.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2018 at 12:25am
Bottom line is that PCM's recommendations are based on what their lawyers have told them to say,CYA. Back in the late 80's when no lead was implemented they also told you to use leaded fuel. We all know in automotive use no lead was needed to preserve the catalytic converter in the '70's so that by the 80's exhaust seats were all being induction hardened anyway.
But back to the ethanol,when it first came out,sure we heard the horror stories and we were worried. In actual practice the 12-14 years we have had to use it has been problem free here,but can't vouch for other states and the 45 to 70 other "blends" that are used.
If it's available I'd use it but I'm not changing my lifestyle because I cannot get non ethanol,and I'm certainly not driving 1 hour each way with a trunk load of gas cans to get to the nearest station that carries it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2018 at 12:44am
I get it Gary. Everyone has a different situation. When I was in the Navy they stressed, "Use the proper tool for the job at all times". That's probably why I am so adamant about fuel. Our ski clubs rules specify that members supply non ethanol fuel only for the club boat, a 6L SN 200. Skis great on a small farm lake, very short 8 ball setup. Maybe 1400 feet long, start at 90 degrees at each end, course record is 2@41 off, 36 mph. My cach ran it there last year. I won't stop slalom skiing, just bought a new Rada Senate Pro. Trying it out tomorrow.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic