NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where can I buy rub rail!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
andrewskiii180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewskiii180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where can I buy rub rail!
    Posted: September-15-2018 at 9:55pm
I'm looking to get new rub rail for my 1970 Skier. Is this something I have to get custom made? If so, where would I get it?!

I was searching online and came across this.. http://tacomarine.com/product/A11-0152/1in-x-7-16in-Aluminum-Rub-Rail
Is this ^ what I'm looking for? I'm not sure what it really looks like because there is no actual picture of it. Has anyone used this stuff?
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2018 at 10:25pm
Check out Integrity Marine in MA. They were rub rail suppliers to Correct Craft for a number of years. Not sure if they have what your looking for but worth checking.
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2018 at 10:32pm
I think thats it,but I'll have to check the size on the Mustang which I believe is the same hull. If you were to do a search here you should find out for sure and even how many pieces you need. Your problems come on the shipping,very expensive. West Marine used to be able to get it,they are a Taco dealer,I got most of mine there.
Here is one
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewskiii180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2018 at 11:09pm
I was beginning to think it was too good to be true! But it seems like its the right stuff!
Does it look just like the original rub rail?
Luckily I work at a marina, might be able to buy through one of our distributors.
Here is a pic of the boat
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2018 at 11:29pm
Yes it is exact. I'll get you some pictures tomorrow
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewskiii180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2018 at 11:52pm
Awesome! thank you!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 12:33am
Here is a couple of old pictures-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewskiii180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 11:33am
Wow! looks amazing! Did the rub rail just form right to the boat? Do you by chance know how many pieces you got. I'm thinking its going to take 3 or so 12 ft pieces.

Also, I have taken the rub rail off my a boat a few times, and all of the pieces (4 in total) are different random lengths going from 4ft to 10ft or 12ft. Is this normal? If so should I be replicating these lengths or figuring out a better pattern?

Here is a picture of the rub rail before I fixed up the boat.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 5:36pm
Andrew,
The lengths of rail will be random without any pattern. Just position the rail so bends at the aft corners and the stem are centered between mounting holes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewskiii180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 9:12pm
Messured the boat today. There is 3 pieces, each 12ft exactly. Then there is one piece on the starboard side near the back that is 33 inches long.
Ordered 4 12 footers through one of the suppliers that delivers to the marina I work at. Really lucked out with the shipping.

Is there a special way to bend / form the aluminum, or should I just start at one end and keep putting screws in as I go?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 9:43pm
Andrew,
There's really no special way to bend it but do be aware that it bends easier at the holes for the screws. So, avoid putting bending pressure on the rail at a point with a screw hole between the bend point and the pressure point.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 10:25pm
You need a rubber mallet and a helper. My 12 year old daughter helped me install some on a 68 Mustang. It bends easily and you should screw it inplace as you work to make sure the shape stays consistent
Old school goin back to school!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 10:52pm
Ignore the goons in the boat,this is the best pic I have of where I started,I just copied how CC put them on starting at that seam at the starboard side and working around the boat going toward the front. The hardest part is going around and across the back,you need 2 people and go slowly. Can't remember now but might have used a dead blow hammer to help around the corners too.

Also get yourself one of these to drill your new holes,get the size you need for what ever size screws you use. It lines up the enclosed drill bit so it is perfectly centered in the hole of the rub rail,do not try to line up the rail with the old holes.

Also seen in that first picture by the seam you sometimes have to drill your own hole in the rail just because there is no hole at the area where you had to make a cut,if you could I would have bought the rail with no holes so I could have spaced them out more evenly but thats just me. The overall affect of new rail really makes the boat.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewskiii180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2018 at 11:17pm
Finally had time to install the rub rail last weekend. Went on smooth. Still have to go back and sand the ends that I had to cut.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 12:46am
Looks great Andrew!    That metal rub rail looked like it could be quite tricky.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Mike Parmley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Parmley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2018 at 6:46pm
I found my rub rail for a Martinique at Taco Marine, identified the part number and then ebay and Amazon until I found the best price. Saved a ton of money.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2018 at 3:01pm
If you have a West Marine near you, they carry a lot of the TACO Marine products. I recently ordered 3 12' pieces of the L-shaped trim for the inside of my Tique. They will ship for free to the store, otherwise anything over 8' length gets shipped freight and its not cheap.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic