NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barefoot rope type

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barefoot rope type
    Posted: September-17-2018 at 8:08pm
Tim. I would be willing to take that knotted up spectra off your hands!😉😬
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2018 at 3:04pm
100’ is typically made as 70+10+10+10, which allows you to tune length based on wake shape, speed or discipline. Elmo should be able to build you an additional 10’ to add to that 90’. Their HDPE is good, I have many ropes made from their bulk stock.

What method are you using to coil/store ropes? They shouldn’t be coming undone in storage...
dkimball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkimball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2018 at 2:55pm
This is what I was thinking of picking up. https://www.lakeelmosports.com/product.php?productid=22&cat=37&page=1

I do have coated spectra line that was shown above for wakeboarding I was just hoping to get a 100' set up without breaking the bank. I also hate rolling and "tying" the spectra line as it doesn't typically hold like the thicker ropes so when I put it away it is always a tangled mess when I take it back out.   
Kimball
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2018 at 1:13pm
This is where some old school/old fart like me chimes in and says, "Yeah, well back in the day, all we had was old poly-p stretchy ski ropes to learn with, and we did fine" But the other side of that coin is explained in this post at the bottom of the first page of the "learning to foot" thread. from 2008, when someone asked about ropes.

So in this case, I am all for improved equipment.

Greg has a friend, Justin, some of you have met him at Greg's. Heavily involved in the Carolinas show ski team and is the primary rope tender of the team.   As I stated above, I believe the poly-e ropes are the show team standard, and Greg was telling me how Justin "pre-stretches" them. I forget the details, but its pretty aggressive, like tying them to a trailer hitch and pulling them and leaving them for a set amount of time, or something like that. After that, they are cut and looped to the proper dimensions. He can better explain the details.

Back in the day, (mid 80s - I learned to foot in 72, so it took a while) I did my first up grade and got a 100 foot rope that had a kevlar core surrounded by a Poly-p rope. I guess spectra is similar to kevlar, in that I have seen comparisons. Needless to say, I still have that rope, although it did break (at the very end, so still usable) when HW and I were doing a tandem flyer when he came down to visit.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2018 at 12:33pm
I have seen some newer BI TAC that’s surprisingly stretchy- like it wasn’t pre-stretched at all. Much springier than the (pre-stretched) HDPE/HTPE lines I’ve made or the older broken in BI stuff I have. Even pre-stretched/broken in, HDPE still has more stretch than spectra for sure (which is advantageous for some uses). No issues doing LLBD’s or flyers with HDPE though. Spectra is nice but mine doesn’t get as much use (mostly due to the tendency to knot).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2018 at 9:52am
I also agree the spectra lines can at times get to be a tangled up mess! We ski with both TAC and spectra and even on its best days the BI tac line is way more stretchy! They both still get the job done. If a poly-p is the only thing in someones boat and I am offered a pull I take it! A bungee pull every once in while makes one appreciate the finer things in life!
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 11:41am
If I let anyone else touch my spectra ropes I have to untangle them. If anyobe finds a version that is not super tangle prone let me know.
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2018 at 12:06am
Dan, If you are on a budget but like the idea of a spectra line, I got one of these It has the plastic coating. Some like that, some dont. Some say its helps tangling, some say it doesnt. In my opinion, it is a little more susceptible to tangles than uncoated, but probably not a big enough problem to spend 2x. If you like 100 feet, length might be a factor too.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2018 at 5:34pm
Larry,
Thanks. It's been a few years since I've purchased a rope and just like everything else, there is change.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2018 at 1:37pm
Pete, its the material they are made of and I suppose number of strands/fibers per strand is also a factor.

Spectra or Dyneema - Ultra High Molecular Weigh HDPE Strongest, Least stretch, most expensive, preferred by wake boarders and footers

Poly-e HDPE (also referred to TAC, not sure what TAC is) More strands, more fibers, tighter wound, minimal stretch, Good for barefooting and I believe the favorite for show skiing.

Poly-p Polypropylene, normal ski rope, 2-3% stretch, least cost, loosest wind.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2018 at 11:56am
Both Poly's are OK for tubing.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2018 at 9:51am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Im sure bill is aware that there’s a big difference between poly-p and poly-e (HDPE)... not all poly is created equal.

Tim,
What is the difference for some like myself who don't know.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2018 at 9:29am
Im sure bill is aware that there’s a big difference between poly-p and poly-e (HDPE)... not all poly is created equal.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2018 at 9:19am
I much prefer spectra-all personal taste but I would not do a flyer with poly.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2018 at 2:45pm
Yup, it’s a good basic line. Also good when a little stretch is preferable (though this is not typical). Lower stretch stuff is better for learning and advanced tricks.
dkimball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkimball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2018 at 2:38pm
Just the basic stuff, flyers and deeps mostly. I am thinking the TAC line would be sufficient for what I need.
Kimball
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2018 at 12:02pm
Depends what type of barefooting. HDPE/HTPE will have more stretch than spectra, etc.
dkimball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkimball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2018 at 11:13am
What type of rope do you guys use for barefooting? Lake Elmo sports has the 90' low stretch HDPE TAC line for around $50 while the spectra 95' is $130. Is there a noticeable difference between the two for barefooting?
Kimball
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic