Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound
    Posted: August-25-2018 at 6:23pm
Any suggestions on rubbing compounds for gel coat. I'm repairing many nicks and gouges
on my 1993 196 gel coat finish. I've tried many different ones with mediocre success. The best one I've tried is the 3M Perfect-it EX. Any help?

Gregg
TWSS
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2018 at 6:48pm
Gregg,
Here's a link from the FAQ thread in the maintenance section. Buffing and sanding gel

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2018 at 10:12am
Marine 31 chemicals from autogeek.net are the best I've used so far.
https://www.autogeek.net/marine-31-boat-care-kit.html

1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2018 at 10:20am
Originally posted by throttle out throttle out wrote:

Marine 31 chemicals from autogeek.net are the best I've used so far.
https://www.autogeek.net/marine-31-boat-care-kit.html

Sam,
What other products have you used for a comparison? Have you used the Marine 31 after a wet sanding?

Here's a direct link to Autogeek and Marine 31 but it's looks like they only have kits for buffing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2018 at 9:24am
I have used numerous Meguires chemicals, Wizards (also good), 3M, along with a couple random odd ball chemicals my local marina was stocking for a time.
I used the Marine 31 directly after wet sanding and was the correct choice in my opinion.
Look their Marine 31 section over good Paul, you should be able to buy individual items as well as kits. If you continue to scroll down you will see each individual item. I went with the gel coat oxidation removal kit that came with the Flex DA polisher, but you will need a high speed orbital polisher (not dual action) to dig deep enough to clean up oxidation.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2018 at 12:09pm
Sam,
Thanks for the feedback on the Marine 31. It's good to know there are alternates to the 3M standby.

BTW, I did scroll down on the Marine 31 link you provided and I can't see when compounds can be purchased separately. I'm still only seeing kits.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2018 at 1:27pm
Pete,
try this page down to individual items

https://www.autogeek.net/marine-31-boat-care.html
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2018 at 4:36pm
3m super duty

Have you tried it yet?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2018 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Pete,
try this page down to individual items

https://www.autogeek.net/marine-31-boat-care.html

Paul,
Thanks for the help.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GHTILL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHTILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2018 at 6:40pm
Been too hot to crawl back under the boat. I've ordered the 3M Heavy duty. Can't wait to see the results.
The bottom of a Ski boat is probably the most neglected area of them all. I truly think that I can tell a difference on how the boat handles after it's done.
TWSS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic