Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This isn't my first rodeo

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Aaron74separator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This isn't my first rodeo
    Posted: August-14-2018 at 8:13am
I recently bought my first Correct Craft 1974 separator. It was the same 1974 Separator advertised here in 2014, I missed it then but I have it now. In my excitement to finally have this boat I failed to notice the missing raw water pump. It is not a closed system ..
The water is sucked through the Outdrive by the circulation pump and is then distributed everywhere. Also, there is no thermostat. My plan of attack is to find a Sherwood pump..not the exact one for my boat but close, as well as a thermostat. Prior to getting these items I wanted to verify with experts on here whether...1st this is a "special" engine that only relies on the circulation pump to do everything..which I highly doubt. Second..what else do I need to do to compensate for this obvious lack of engineering expertise? I am certain the circulation pump has been over-taxed and needs replacement as well. Third, does anyone have a diagram showing the plumbing so I can sort this mess out in a timely fashion? I Already know the answer to the first question because this is not my 1st rodeo.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 8:36am
One thing you could do that would be helpful is give some decent information like what kind of outdrive it has and what the engine is

Or................ post some pictures of the engine and outdrive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 8:53am
It is a small block Ford.. 4 bbl carb. It's either a 302 or 351W. The outboard is an Alpha 1. Pictures will be sent momentarily.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 9:01am
Well, the good news is that you can save some money on the water pump.

An Alpha 1 Mercruiser has the raw water pump in the outdrive with a hose running up to the engine to supply cooling water.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 9:10am
Thank you for that information. The hose running from the outdrive to the circulation pump just looked odd to me. I'm assuming then that my impeller is also located in the outdrive?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 9:15am
Yes, impeller is in outdrive.

Watch a how-to Utube & change it.

Use an OEM replacement if at all possible.

Also, you may want to change the lower unit oil while you are at it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 9:17am
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmi7aysv34lb4da/667F9BF3-A0F6-4FD0-BFD5-E24AAFB8C148.JPG?dl=0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 9:23am
Thank you..I had just changed the oil last week and now I'll have to do it again! Lol
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 9:25am
If you want an easy way to distinguish a 302 from a 351 measure from an intake manifold mounting bolt on the left side to the right side. It's easy to check on the engine with a tape measure.

If it's a 351W, the centerline distance will be about 9 1/4 inches

If it's a 302, the centerline distance will be about 7 1/2 inches

The picture is a 351w

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Aaron74separator Aaron74separator wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmi7aysv34lb4da/667F9BF3-A0F6-4FD0-BFD5-E24AAFB8C148.JPG?dl=0

Direct link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 9:29am
By the way, if you just changed the outdrive oil last week, you can do the impeller job without draining the oil.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 9:39am
Thank you for the engine information! As far as the impeller and doing the job without draining the oil, how is that possible when I have to separate the upper unit from the lower unit?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 9:43am
Does anyone know an easy way to determine whether I have a generation 1 or 2 Alphadrive? All of the identifying markings seem to be missing or wore off.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 9:46am
All the oil is in the lower gear casing and the pump is above that.

You'll see when you do the job

Find a good set of instructions or a good video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 9:50am

Thank you for the engine information! As far as the impeller and doing the job without draining the oil, how is that possible when I have to separate the upper unit from the lower unit?

Because the oil is in the lower unit and the RWP is in the upper that doesn't have any oil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 9:56am
Back in 74 the Mercruiser 1 was original, the Alpha 1 Gen 2 didn't come about till the 90's so chances are it's a gen 1

You could google the differences

Or,,,,,,,,,,,,,,click the link below for a bunch of info

link
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 10:01am

Does anyone know an easy way to determine whether I have a generation 1 or 2 Alphadrive? All of the identifying markings seem to be missing or wore off.

RWP identification

BTW Aaron, this thread will get you out of the "first rodeo" as your title mentions!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 10:07am
Woohoo...my 2nd rodeo! Lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 10:07am
Thank you!!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 10:43am
Just to keep this from turning into your first "Goat Rodeo", if you're looking for parts, make sure you're talking to a dealer knowledgeable on Mercruisers since there were a lot of changes in names, terminology and parts over the years

In 74 as mentioned earlier it was called a Mercruiser 1 not an Alpha 1 or Alpha anything.and Alpha stuff came along later.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 10:50am

Thank you..I had just changed the oil last week and now I'll have to do it again! Lol

While I have never owned or worked on an outdrive are they not just like an outboard's lower unit? You do not need to drain the oil on them to change the impeller.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 10:53am
It's early I just saw Kens post........
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Just to keep this from turning into your first "Goat Rodeo", if you're looking for parts, make sure you're talking to a dealer knowledgeable on Mercruisers since there were a lot of changes in names, terminology and parts over the years

In 74 as mentioned earlier it was called a Mercruiser 1 not an Alpha 1 or Alpha anythheing.and Alpha stuff came along later.

Thanks for this information! There was some confusion about whether it was an Alpha 1 or a Mercruiser 1.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 7:27pm
I want to thank everybody for helping a "Newbie" out and saving me from installing a Sherwood pump as a supplemental pump to feed the outdrive pump that I did not even know existed. I was literally so close to doing this it's ridiculous. I think with age comes wisdom. As a younger man I wouldn't have asked for any help I would instead jumped right in and done it..
So what was going to be a major and unnecessary repair job has now become a simple impeller change thanks to you guys!
One more thing:
I really would appreciate it if somebody could provide me with the correct plumbing diagram for my cooling system.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 7:51pm
Aaron,
Glad you found CCfan and glad we were able to help. Do some exploring of the site and I know you will find lots of information and also find there is a member knowledge base on CC's like no other.

Now, what about those pictures?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 8:08pm

I really would appreciate it if somebody could provide me with the correct plumbing diagram for my cooling system.

If you search the web for this, it is best t use serial # to get right manual.

I worked on a friend's merc & it was an oddball, never did find correct diagram for it.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 8:42pm

As a younger man I wouldn't have asked for any help I would instead jumped right in and done it..

Don't know how old you are but everybody not named Aaron that posted in this thread so far is in their 60's

I've got a Mercruiser paper manual that has the Small Block Ford cooling system for an IO.

I'll take a picture and post it later tonight.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 10:13pm
Here's a picture of the standard raw water cooling system from the manual

There's about a mile and a half of cooling hoses between the thermostat housing and the manifolds.

There could be a slim chance that the goats are circling right now so I figure I should mention that some of Mercruisers more high performance outdrives back then had a Borg Warner transmission connecting the engine to the outdrive.(TR and TRS designations for these outdrive units)

You most likely have just the engine and the outdrive .with the outdrive being a Mercruiser 1

If you have a transmission in between, then your outdrive won't have a water pump in it

Somebody could have changed a lot of things in the last 44 years

I could give you a picture of that too, but to avoid confusion I won't right now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron74separator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 4:03am
I REALLY appreciate everything you've done for me but will you please send me that picture of the transmission. I promise it won't confuse me! By the way I am 53.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2018 at 8:01am
The link will take you to a picture or 3 or 4 of the transmission along with the adapter to the outdrive..which is bolted to the back of it.

Like I said, I doubt you have that setup, but just in case here it is.

Most Mercruisers have forward and reverse gears in the outdrive, but a TR or TRS from back then didn't and the transmission provided the forward and reverse function along with adding another hundred or so pounds of weight.

I could send a picture of that cooling diagram too if you need it, but didn't want to so as to avoid confusion.

link
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic