Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Horn - I am a dummy

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
91NaughtyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Horn - I am a dummy
    Posted: July-09-2018 at 4:57pm
My horn went out and I ordered a new one from nautique parts.com. It is the dual set up. Like a dummy I did not take a picture of the wiring and I don't remember where black and orange went. My question is does it matter. It seems to work with orange and black in either location. Any advice is much appreciated. Sorry for the bonehead move of not taking a pic. Total rookie move.

Thanks,

Gary
1991 Ski Nautique
(Previous)1984 Ski Nautique 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 5:06pm
Gary,
Typically black denotes ground and then the other would be the switched positive.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 5:17pm
My problem is that the horn has no markings on the connections that denote hot and ground. Make sense?
1991 Ski Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 5:22pm
shouldnt matter.

In the unlikely event that it does matter and the horn doesnt work, switch them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by 91NaughtyQ 91NaughtyQ wrote:

My problem is that the horn has no markings on the connections that denote hot and ground. Make sense?

The wires aren't the black and orange? Maybe I'm reading your first post wrong?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 5:37pm
Come on Pete. Keep up. the wires are colored. The horn probably just has terminals, no wires, so no indication of which wire goes on which post.

And to edit my post above, I see the OP already tried both combinations and it worked both ways, supporting my theory that it doesnt matter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 5:56pm
Thanks guys I appreciate it. I was able to find some info on the manf website and if not defined polarity does not matter. Also a tech from Nautique Parts just got back with me and confirmed the same as you.    As always thanks folks!!!!

Gary
1991 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2018 at 5:58pm
Larry,
Ok, I went over the OP a couple more times and now I understand the wires are on the boat and not on the new horn. Sorry and I now agree that it doesn't matter where they are connected.
Thanks for the clarification.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic