Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drive Line vibration?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ezedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drive Line vibration?
    Posted: July-02-2018 at 2:24pm
2002 Nau Air. I am getting some vibration in the drive line at 10,000 - 15,,000 rpm. Any ideas what may be causing this. Also noticing more water in the boat lately?
ezedi
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2018 at 3:14pm
Kerry,
Vibration is typical when there's a bent prop shaft, damaged prop or even a loose prop. Have you hit anything lately? Check to see if the prop is firmly seated on the taper. Was the prop and shaft taper lapped when the prop was installed? Since you are seeing some more water in the bilge, you may want to check the shaft straightness with a dial indicator. It could be bent or the shaft packing gland needs attention.

Welcome to CCfan.

Originally posted by ezedi ezedi wrote:

2002 Nau Air. I am getting some vibration in the drive line at 10,000 - 15,,000 rpm.

What engine do you have that's putting out that RPM?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ezedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2018 at 4:47pm
Oops
ezedi
ezedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2018 at 5:00pm
I am unaware of any hits with the prop and there is no evidence of damage. I did get a bunch of lake weed wrapped up in the prop and spun it out in reverse/forward last year. I notice the vibration around that time too. It is not noticeable at cocktail cruse speed and goes away as you speed up. Thanks,
ezedi
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2018 at 5:33pm
Kerry,
It's still worth checking the items I mentioned. The real easy one is checking to see if the prop is seated on the taper. Again, do you know if it was lapped to the shaft?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ezedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2018 at 6:19pm
What do you mean by "tapped to the shaft"? I scheduled it for service in 2 weeks but still looking for the issue. Thanks,
ezedi
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2018 at 6:43pm
Kerry,
Lapping the prop taper to the shaft taper is the proper way to mount the prop. Acme Prop actually recommends it and sends instructions with their props. It insures that the taper holds the prop onto the shaft. No, the prop nut doesn't hold it on as many believe.

Here's the "wiki": metal lapping

Here's a thread on it: proper prop install

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ezedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2018 at 7:17pm
I bought the boat new from a Nautique dealer in Portland. They are no longer in business. I will take a look at the link you sent and check the boat tonight. Thanks,
ezedi
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2018 at 10:46pm
Pete,
Thank for the great education. My 99 AIR came with an OJ 13x16 four blade and I could tell the prop had some repairs done on it although all has seemed fine. Even at 4400-5100 ft. elevation the RPM at WOT is 4800. The boat also came with a brand new 13x16 four blade in a box kit with puller and hardware. I remember reading this post in the past. Usually there is no time to work on boats in September as it is the best month for skiing as the tourist go home, but this whole month has been windy. So, with time on my hands I thought I would put the new prop on to see if there is a noticeable difference. I referred back to this tutorial for reference for the key-way and placing the tape as a marker. Great info thanks.
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic