Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine stops when key goes to on position

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dbaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine stops when key goes to on position
    Posted: June-18-2018 at 11:52am
My 1994 Sport Nautique starts, but when I release the key to the run position it stops.   If I hold the key it will continue to run. Do I need a new ignition switch or is there some other problem I should be looking for?
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 12:07pm
When you switch the key to the run position do the gauges turn on? If not then your key switch is probably bad or the connection at the key switch has come loose. You could also check for voltage on the ignition terminal on the key switch. Should have a purple wire connected to it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by dbaker dbaker wrote:

Do I need a new ignition switch or

Dan you won't know unless you get the VOM out and do some voltage testing like Sean recommended.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dbaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 4:04pm
I will check the gages and voltage when I get home and follow up with more information. Thanks.
dbaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 8:19pm
I do get gauges when I turn the key on and there is 12v at the purple wire. The other thing I notice from working on the throttle body is I don't get the fuel pump to come on when the key turns on. I think I remember that I should get some fuel (a short burst) when the key is turned on.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 8:59pm
Check the 12.5 Amp breaker on the engine.   Should have voltage on both sides with the key in the run position.
dbaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 9:03pm
Found it.....the kill switch is shot. Open all of the time. Bypassed it and everything is working normally. Thanks.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 9:09pm
Glad you found it with testing before you just started throwing parts at it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dbaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 8:24am
Me too. Thanks for the help.
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 9:47am
Hello I usually lurk here and learn a lot, sometimes with a question leading to a post.
I don't understand why it is that the engine could start with the kill switch being dead. Shouldn't that keep the engine from starting at all?
There must be an explanation that would clarify this for me
Thanks in advance
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 11:50am
I haven't seen a schematic that includes the kill switch but I guess it makes sense. The kill switch is used to kill the ignition circuit after the boat is already running (driver dislodged from helm during operation).   The starting circuit and ignition circuit are separated except for the path through the fusible link which provides voltage to the ignition circuit when the key is in the start position (the old "I" terminal discussion. ).
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 1:19pm
Hi Cyclone

I agree with desertskier that it's normal and makes sense when you look at a Pro Tec wiring diagram.

When the key is in the START position, the "I" terminal on the solenoid supplies power to the coil packs in parallel with the purple wire from the key switch through the wire with the fusible link shown in the diagram in RED through the 12 1/2 amp breaker

The BLUE line shows the flowpath from the key switch. If the kill switch is open there won't be any power to the ignition system (purple wire shown by my blue line) after the key switch is released to the RUN position

The red and blue were just colors I had available to mark the diagram with and don't correspond to any wire colors in the boat.

And like desertskier said "it's the infamous "I" terminal that has led to lots of discussion in the past

One thing I should add, this diagram is for Pro Tec with a carburetor but the part we're concerned with here is the same. You can ignore the choke wiring
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2018 at 12:37pm
Thanks desertskier and KenO for the explanation. The diagram helped me understand the explanation. Where did that diagram come from?
Darrell
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2018 at 5:23pm
The diagram was from the link below which is in the reference section here on CCF.

Mixed in with the other stuff in the manual, there is quite a bit of info for carbureted Pro Tec setups

link
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic